Gardner Stone August 12, 2016 12:54AM
Saw on facebook where Gardner Stone was getting out the General for Bowling Green, pretty sweet!

Or maybe he has been running it and I didnt know?

Re: Gardner Stone August 12, 2016 02:49AM
Last time I knew this tractor was on a track was in an NYTPA State event a few years ago with 2 turbines only running- seemed gearing was not correct with just 2. Is he going to run Unlimited mod class or run with the Legends class?

Re: Gardner Stone August 12, 2016 03:57AM
Unlimited

Re: Gardner Stone August 12, 2016 04:50AM
this will be a great way to see how much the mod class has improved in the last 20 years,general was virtually a 1-2-3 tractor every hook then,last I seen it was at bg a good while ago,it definitely couldn't/wouldn't hook to the track.the old claim by announcers of 12000 horsepower should be right in the ballpark with todays mods,again last I seen it it was 70 -100 feet back of leader,have chassis improved that much or the different style of sleds ??,then again it seemed like all the turbines had the sdame issues ???

Re: Gardner Stone August 12, 2016 07:03AM
The main problem with turbine tractors is that it is all or nothing from the starting line. You cannot play with the throttle like you can when running piston engines. Once they hit 80 percent you lift off the clutch and hold on for dear life while trying to keep it straight on the track.

Re: Gardner Stone August 12, 2016 07:11AM
These new sleds do not put a lot of down force on a tractor off the starting line. Bargas have spent a lot of time figuring out how to get a turbine tractor to glide out of the hole & it may require turning the hp back on the engines. I personally miss seeing innovative & different power sources in unlimited class

Re: Gardner Stone August 12, 2016 10:56AM
"Patches", that was 2008. "the General" did a lot of bouncing. It will be interesting to see what is different now. Perhaps it will not pull in competition but as a "Legends" tractor. Even though it is much newer than rest of the field of "Legends" pulling tractors, still Gardner Stone and "the General" certainly, at least in my eyes, has fulfilled the requirements with the avid pulling spectators as a true "Legend". Actually, Gardner has a few other previous very successful tractors that have helped him achieve this honorable legendary status, too.

Re: Gardner Stone August 12, 2016 12:12PM
The sleds are basically the same as when Gardner was winning in the early/mid 2000s. Other tractors just have caught up more...better chassis, tires, more hp, etc. Its my understanding his tractor is too new to pull in the legends, so looks like he'll be an unlimited puller next week. glad to have him back, I hope he does well! I miss seeing him and turbines just because they add some variety even if they do take up some more time.

Re: Gardner Stone August 12, 2016 01:29PM
To the feller that said they let off the clutch @ 80%,,,,,,,,,
Turbine tractors have no clutch.

Re: Gardner Stone August 12, 2016 03:23PM
Thank you so much for setting me straight. I was not sure if they did or not.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009