weights on a crower August 28, 2016 12:55AM
Where should the majority of the weights be placed on the fingers on a crower centifigal. Closest to the center of the clutch or closest to the outside??

Re: weights on a crower August 28, 2016 05:52AM
Just like bladder control,
Depends

Re: weights on a crower August 28, 2016 06:04AM
The reason I ask is when I start to engage the clutch it engages dramaticly
Would like a smoother engagement. Just wondering if repositioning the weights on the fingers would help that.

Re: weights on a crower August 28, 2016 06:52AM
Are you sure you don't have a warped floater? Even with the weights full the engagement should be smooth yet as long as you can hold it. If your clutch linkage is using a long arm as leverage is almost just as important for a smooth engagement too.

The weights are really there to keep the clutch engaged if or when the rpms get low on a run. The more weights you can run and hold upon spool up the better. The weights are your ally at the other end.

COO for OTTPA

www.outlawpulling.com

www.truck-specialties.com

Schaeffer Oil Representative

[www.schaefferoil.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2016 07:14AM by AV.

Re: weights on a crower August 28, 2016 12:59PM
Well I'm having trouble holding it off, soon as I start to engage it throws me off. Got 8 weights on a 12.5 inch crower. Limited light prostock

Re: weights on a crower August 28, 2016 01:12PM
what rpm are you running going down the track? 8 seems a lot ? or start weight training.........

Re: weights on a crower August 28, 2016 01:21PM
Tooltime
Well I'm having trouble holding it off, soon as I start to engage it throws me off. Got 8 weights on a 12.5 inch crower. Limited light prostock
I run 8 weights on the outside of my clutch. I can hold it to 5K easy and 6K with a little grunt. My clutch pedal is pretty long though. I also run 2 stage fingers. That helps to feather it.

Re: weights on a crower August 28, 2016 01:43PM
What rpm is this taking place? I assume u do get off the line.

Do your fingers have two places for bolts with weights or are all 8 on one bolt?

On a 4 disk 12.5 clutch I would assume 4 on each bolt would work.

COO for OTTPA

www.outlawpulling.com

www.truck-specialties.com

Schaeffer Oil Representative

[www.schaefferoil.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2016 01:43PM by AV.

Re: weights on a crower August 28, 2016 02:29PM
4 on each bolt. Do get it off the line. Running bout 3500 rpms down track , hx 60 turbo, 3 disk .100 clearance, just like to feather it out instead of launchung a John Klug holeshot.
What is a two stage finger??

Re: weights on a crower August 28, 2016 02:35PM
Turning bout 4500+ when I start to try and walk it out when she launches my foot off.

Re: weights on a crower August 28, 2016 02:49PM
Do the weights have to be in pairs or can I say put 4 in the outside bolt and
Only 3 on the inside. Rpms will pull down to bout 2800.

Re: weights on a crower August 28, 2016 04:33PM
Tooltime
4 on each bolt. Do get it off the line. Running bout 3500 rpms down track , hx 60 turbo, 3 disk .100 clearance, just like to feather it out instead of launchung a John Klug holeshot.
What is a two stage finger??
Should have said 2 stages of fingers. Half of my fingers come in a few thousands before the others. This really helps a launch. I tried 4 weights and thought it was okay till I split the tractor last winter. It had been slipping a little on the big end. You couldn't feel it but it showed up on the computer. I'm guessing you need more leverage on your clutch pedal.

Re: weights on a crower August 29, 2016 12:11AM
How do you set up two stages of fingers?

Re: weights on a crower August 29, 2016 05:28AM
You are over centering the fingers. Try to load the clutch a little more "don't hold the pedal down as far when building boost". Make sure at idle, throw out is just touching fingers at that time.

Re: weights on a crower August 28, 2016 02:14PM
On my 4.1 lim Pro I run 4 on the outside bolt and 2 on the inside bolt. For real RPM 4000 up make sure you have enough clearance on the clutch, minimum of .090 , a little more will work better. Darin

Re: weights on a crower August 28, 2016 02:31PM
How many weights for a crower pedal clutch in a super farm? Looking to leave the line at 6000 and carry 3000 down the track? Right now I have 4 on each bolt. And it pushes back on the pedal at 4500rpms. Can't hold it down to get to 6000.

Re: weights on a crower August 29, 2016 12:51AM
Why do you need to turn a superfarm 6000?

Re: weights on a crower August 29, 2016 02:01AM
Well I need to launch at 6000 to carry the rpms down the track with the v8 it's not a inline so I need all the rpms off the line I can get to get it moving faster.

Re: weights on a crower August 29, 2016 10:26AM
Talk to your clutch supplier to make sure your stall springs are the right ones and adjusted properly
We fought clutch issue for a year and it ended up being the springs

Mike Langan
402-910-6949

Re: weights on a crower September 12, 2017 11:16AM
What does over centering mean? I have trouble it leaving around 4500 hard, I am at .065 release clearance with only 1 bolt/but and 2 slugs on the outer finger location. I am gonna try to open it to about .095... very curious what over center means

Re: weights on a crower September 12, 2017 02:00PM
Ben
What does over centering mean? I have trouble it leaving around 4500 hard, I am at .065 release clearance with only 1 bolt/but and 2 slugs on the outer finger location. I am gonna try to open it to about .095... very curious what over center means

Overcentering means when the throwout bearing travel is PAST the clutch fingers reach when stepping on the clutch pedal and then the clutch will engage back in. The results of that happening can be DEVESTATING.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 02:07PM by Supertiquer.

Re: weights on a crower September 12, 2017 02:41PM
Ohh I see... because the finger travel so far toward the engine the inside diameter they are arrayed in will grow to be bigger than the throwout diameter, and then let the bearing slide through the middle? That took a bit of thinking to figure out. Seems like if that happened it would be hard to pull the bearing back out! If installed height at .702 or whatever it is off the top of my head, is there a way to figure say at .100 release clearance this would start to happen. Any way to calculate it and if so what is the release clearance danger zone that may be possible

Re: weights on a crower September 12, 2017 04:07PM
Not sure they will grow bigger as much as when that happens the fingers were not long enough to begin with. Years ago(probably over 30 and someone chime in if I am not remembering this right) there was a diesel super somewhere that was loading after he had pulled. The clutch went over center and at that same time, the pump stuck open, the tractor went up on top of the gooseneck trailer and flipped over on top of him. He was killed.

Re: weights on a crower September 13, 2017 01:25AM
Wow that is a scary deal!! I have no idea what spring chart to use. But I have 4 turns on it of preload. I think while I increase to .085 clearance I will lower static springs to 3 turns aswell.

Re: weights on a crower September 13, 2017 02:20AM
Ben
Wow that is a scary deal!! I have no idea what spring chart to use. But I have 4 turns on it of preload. I think while I increase to .085 clearance I will lower static springs to 3 turns aswell.

Yes it can be and I have only heard of that happening that one time but that's what I was told overcentering meant. Your best bet is to call Darrin Rursch at 309-795-1502. Explain to him what is going on and I am sure he will get you right.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,675, Posts: 229,777, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member Jason