Ford 5000 turbo November 10, 2016 12:28AM
Hi all, I would like to add a turbo to my 1974 Ford 5000 to pull in our local farmers pulls. I have the opportunity to purchase a M&W 6E-109 turbo, intake pipes, and oil filter housing for a good price. My question is, will this turbo fit my 5000? I know if came off a Ford, but it seems like maybe is was for a 8000 as big as it is. Thanks!

Re: Ford 5000 turbo November 10, 2016 06:03AM
It might fit....but probably wont work all that great. Get ya a small holset like off a 4bt cummins....that work work pretty good

Re: Ford 5000 turbo November 11, 2016 02:35AM
The M&W Turbo's used a T4 base. What manifold are you going to use? That turbo is setup to fit a M&W manifold. That turbo number shows up in JD 3020 kits so it's about the right size, but you would probably be happier with a small garret off a newer ford or a holset off a 4BT.

If you or a good friend can fabricate I would use an after market ford 7000 manifold, make sure it flat before putting it on. Hunt around online there's more than a few places to get pipe and hoses to hook everything up. Fab the exhaust, it's way to expensive to buy those parts from ford.

Re: Ford 5000 turbo November 15, 2016 05:40AM
I'm going to use a manifold off a 7000. I've had a friend offer me a turbo off a 4BT that he tried on his 6060 Allis without much success that I could buy instead of this M&W. I will definitely be fabricating the exhaust and anything else I can. Just out of curiosity, why are the Garret and Holset turbos better than the M&W?

Re: Ford 5000 turbo November 15, 2016 07:05AM
Gotta be every bit of 40 years of technology M&W vs. Garrett or Holset

Re: Ford 5000 turbo November 15, 2016 07:09AM
The newer garret and holset Turbo's are better because they were designed to move air more efficiently than the old rayjay M&W unit which at the time worked fine because that's all there was.

Re: Ford 5000 turbo November 15, 2016 07:01AM
plumbing the intake you can buy mandrel bent aluminum pipe meant for a snow mobile they come in many different sizes and angels
the exhaust a good machine shop and a turning lathe to make the adapters flange. I would not use the M&W turbo due to the cost and
performance of it the cost to repair is very high and there is newer technology in turbos that is better and cheaper .

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,760, Posts: 229,921, Members: 3,336.
This forum: Topics: 37,094, Posts: 226,019.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM