fire ring with copper gasket November 14, 2016 08:58PM
im wondering if its possible to use fire rings without cutting grooves.

heres the deal i have a copper gasket .051 thick and the engine has thin dry sleeves with
thin flanges about .040 high. could i just get stainless rings just say .060 think? and they set tight against the
sleeve flange to hold them in place? would that hold say 60 lb of boost 700cc fuel?

Re: fire ring with copper gasket November 15, 2016 07:08AM
Yes you can,with that being said you will run into the same trouble with holding the head gasket and fire ring ( The fire ring will move around)
Highly recommend cutting a ring groove . (Cut the head )

Re: fire ring with copper gasket November 16, 2016 05:28AM
If I understand correctly you want to put the fire ring outside of the sleeve top flange? As JD Diesel said you need something to back up the fire ring, it will stretch out until it hits something solid and I don't think a copper gasket will stop it. A SS gasket will provided there is enough material left between the bores. How much bigger is the flange than the sleeve OD? I think you really want the fire ring on top of the flange so the sleeve doesn't move up and down and you don't get leakage around the sleeve. Then the gasket can be thicker SS or mild steel and have a better chance of backing up the fire ring. You do want the compression of the fire ring on the sleeve flange backed up by the block though so the sleeve doesn't crack at the flange.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,797, Posts: 230,004, Members: 3,341.
This forum: Topics: 37,104, Posts: 226,075.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009