IH transmission November 30, 2016 03:41PM
What would be a good combination of gear ratios to put in the stock transmission with 706 rear end. 8500 limited pro tractor. Would be grateful for any suggestions

Re: IH transmission November 30, 2016 04:33PM
Depends on your engine combo, tires, turbo etc

Re: IH transmission November 30, 2016 04:50PM
Save some money and run direct, build the motor accordingly just my .02

Re: IH transmission December 01, 2016 12:50AM
I agree. Most guys I know running 8500 run direct. Worry more about what ring and pinion to run. Direct takes less power.

Re: IH transmission December 01, 2016 01:49AM
We have the 13/49 faster rear end with a one tooth over gear to put in. Didn't know if we should also put a 2 over in with that rear or if it would be too much or put one in below. It is a pretty decent engine & turbo with 24.5 old style pullers.

Re: IH transmission December 01, 2016 02:41AM
OK if your pretty decent engine and turbo likes to turn a lot of rpms, you are plenty fast and possibly to fast as you are. If its built for bottom end torque and not a lot of rpm then you are likely to low geared. If you don't know your best bet is to follow dairy blend's advice and just run direct until you figure out where you are at so you don't waste money on stuff that doesn't work for your setup. There isn't a blanket answer to your question.

Re: IH transmission December 01, 2016 05:09AM
Thanks a bunch. Just out of curiosity would it be better to just put a 2 over gear in also or just go with one over, direct and 6 & 12% below to begin with. I am understanding of everything you guys are saying so far that it is somewhat of a trial method based on what the engine will like, but kinda want to be within a reasonable ballpark.

Re: IH transmission December 01, 2016 06:29AM
Strictly a judgement call. If you think the engine will be torquey go with the faster package. If not I'd go slower with the gear package.

Re: IH transmission December 01, 2016 12:52PM
Also a small word of advice is to put whatever gear you plan on running the least in your '3rd' gear slot as it's the weakest

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,704, Posts: 229,806, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,953.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro