No rust December 04, 2016 11:35AM
Just got a block, crank,head, etc back from machine shop. Even though we work in a heated shop (radiant in floor) today I saw a few spots of rust starting on the block. Looking for suggestions for ways to stop this. Any sprays? Coat of oil ? Whatever? It will be several months before I'm ready for engine assembly and I want to protect these parts. Looking for successful experience/ideas thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2016 11:36AM by nylazybg.

Re: No rust December 04, 2016 11:54AM
first coat any machined surfaces with grease or even a gear lube. Next buy some stretch wrap or shrink wrap along with desiccant packs. Stick some desiccant packs with the parts and then wrap them tight. A couple of garbage bags over parts will work too but I find that wrapping them is easier. I've had some parts wrapped in stretch wrap with a really light oil coating for a decade or so and they are stored in an unheated shed and they still look like new.

Re: No rust December 04, 2016 11:59AM
I always use good ol' grease if it's going to sit very long. It will attract dust, but so will oil. I don't get real crazy with it, just enough to cover the bare metal. Then get some visqueen plastic and wrap it up the best you can. I have a crank that has been in my shop for 3 years now and still free of rust. I have tube heaters in my shop. Your floor heat is probably better.

Re: No rust December 05, 2016 12:03AM
I have had good luck using 'fluid film' spray. Easy and fast

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,630, Posts: 229,694, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,901.

Our newest member JD_8520