Dry block December 24, 2016 10:46AM
What are the pros and cons of running no water in the block 504" sbjd, no intercooler with 3.9" Holset on. I understand there are tractors out there running dry block with an intercooler but can I run dry block with no intercooler safely ? Eventually we would plan to have an intercooler.

Re: Dry block December 24, 2016 11:40AM
Go for it, best thing I've ever done!

Re: Dry block December 24, 2016 03:12PM
Coat the Pistons open up the clearance. Really believe in this.

Re: Dry block December 24, 2016 04:32PM
Wet block is for hauling manure.. Build it right and wonder why you were ever wet.

Re: Dry block December 25, 2016 12:57AM
Why would you go dry block unless you had to? Run it wet until you have a problem and then dry it up.

Re: Dry block December 25, 2016 03:14AM
I agree

Re: Dry block December 25, 2016 05:21AM
Agree

Re: Dry block December 25, 2016 06:23AM
Just curious...when dry blocked how does one change sleeves? And how do you ensure sleeves are tight to the compound for good heat dispersion? Thinking about going dry next time we overhaul. Thanks guys! Hope everyone has and had a Merry Christmas!

Re: Dry block December 26, 2016 03:43AM
Why would changing sleeves be any different?

Re: Dry block December 26, 2016 10:32AM
I don't know that's why I'm asking. I don't know never been around the product but from what I am guessing you mix it pour it and it forms around the sleeve that is in the block you run it your sleeves get worn out or damaged. When you drive the old ones out how do you know the new ones are going to fit perfect like the old ones did? And won't the hard block adhere to the sleeves?

Re: Dry block December 26, 2016 10:48AM
If I understand correctly you don't put anything in the block, just pound them in and go. I don't believe the water gives it any structural strength, just drain the water and go. You will need the clearances changed though.

Re: Dry block December 26, 2016 10:54AM
Sorry I mistyped. I'm curious of changing sleeves when hard blocked. My bad for not double checking myself.

Re: Dry block December 25, 2016 05:23AM
JMO

Pro's
1. Saves unnecessary expense
2. Has no effect on performance of pass or reliability of engine parts.
3. Decluttters engine compartment.
4. Weight savings
5. Reduced maintenance.
6. Reduces electrical system draw and requirements

Con's
1. Cool down time is extended

If you aren't trying to run 3 classes per night with a pull off, I see no benefit to a wet block setup.

Re: Dry block December 25, 2016 01:39PM
running dry ur head might last half as long as running wet

Re: Dry block December 25, 2016 01:59PM
mx335
running dry ur head might last half as long as running wet

Might last twice as long too. Seen it both ways. Heads crack regardless particularly if one doesn't use their "head"

Re: Dry block July 18, 2017 11:26PM
I've had some issues as of late and I'm seriously considering doing this but how much more clearance is needed? I know some guys around here just run them dry without hard block any thoughts on that?

Re: Dry block July 19, 2017 02:10AM
We run .018" skirt clearance on a 4 inch bore diesel twin-turbo, no hard block, about 1200 HP. Use a fan to blow air thru the block after a run. NO PROBLEMS.

Re: Dry block July 19, 2017 03:03AM
What about ring gap?

Re: Dry block July 20, 2017 05:07AM
we run a dry block with intercooler, popped out freeze plugs .o15 clearance on pistons, put leaf blower on a water inlet to cool motor down for second run. no problems, will not go back to water

Re: Dry block July 20, 2017 07:41PM
Just my 2 cents,

We run a 504 Case 970 as a dry block, with no intercooler. We have all the parts to put water back to it, however I have a feeling they will stay on the shelf and continue to collect dust.

A big thing for us as far as draw backs is the cool down time. To be the 1st hook in class and then have a sled change requiring us to rehook would be rough on us as we need cool down time. (We have a leaf blower attached to a foam ice box to cool it down faster through the water ports after a run but that still takes time.)

We keep an eye on our EGT and havent had any issues yet.

I might add we are water injected also. (So I guess what we call dry block might be different then you)

Good luck whatever you decide!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,704, Posts: 229,806, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,953.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro