What's the future hold.... March 29, 2017 09:59AM
I'm sitting here in utter disbelief after talking to my nurse and doctor. What's the future holds for me as far as pulling and farming. Something that I love so much might be gone for ever, for someone still rather young. Recovering from surgery is one thing, but healing is the other story. I had surgery and now they are telling me that its going to take a year for things to heal. Which currently means not lifting over 10lbs for several more months. The day of moving weights around are not looking so hot. Or even going down the track this year alone is going to be out the door. I was told first hand that you will not be lifting weights like I use too, 50lb feed sack is the probably the most. But I was advised that you will want to be smart on how you do it cause it will probably cause pain even years to come. So now that I'm sitting here in the shop wondering at what point do I sell the puller off......??

Sorry.... I'm just frustrated an was getting things off my chest....

Re: What's the future hold.... March 29, 2017 10:10AM
Sounds like a good time to get the neighbor kid, niece/nephew, son/daughter, friends, etc involved.. Have them help with weights and the heavy lifting. Put em in the drivers seat and get em hooked for life...

---

Re: What's the future hold.... March 29, 2017 02:12PM
We all have had to sit out a year time to time for various reasons. If the weight limit is the issue or the only thing holding you back, go to plate / cut out weights that are thin and have a bunch of them. May take a while to move but could do it 10lb at a time. Don't get down. There is always a way!

Re: What's the future hold.... March 29, 2017 02:27PM
Keep the chin up,passion always wins !!!!!!!!!!!!! I had open heart surgery and was told nothing over ten lbs for a yr. --ya right was lifting 100# in a month,desire,positive attitude and common sense rules.Was told that some people tore the incision open two yrs. later,so no need to wait,am an ole farm boy with muscle,so no worries.The medicals called me an over achiever, Yes I had help to do the fast heavy lifting some,but for the most part,I did it.When you lift yourself out of a chair or bed,you lift all of your weight. Hang in there man. Where there is a will, -- -- there is a way.

Re: What's the future hold.... March 29, 2017 02:34PM
I was 24 years old,in feb of that year I found out I had cancer,doc told me its major,going to be surgery quickly and lots of chemo,this was 1993.i started chemo 3-14-93.the pulling community got me thru 13 months of chemo,the guys had 2 benefit pulls for my wife and I to help cover cost.the local pullers videod pulls all summer for me to watch when I couldn't go.every fri the guys would stop and see if I felt like riding along with them,as time went on I got depressed and down too,then one evening I heard a truck in my drive and heard my tractor start,i looked out the window and it was being loaded onto a trailer,they said I'm going Saturday with them.it was a life saving event for me,the other pullers made sure I didn't lift not anything,nothing,they wheeled me to the staging area,and lifted me onto my tractor and lifted me off at the other end.they made sure I went to as many pulls as I could tolerate,they maintained my tractor all summer also,it saved my life.not one of them ever said a word to this day about going out of their way,that was 24 years ago this summer.ive been extremely blessed in life and as these guys have young men that now can pull,ive told every boy that my shop/garage is always open to them at anytime,its just a way to return the favor..dont be shy about asking the young men for help,they want to be involved in pulling in any way possible.

Re: What's the future hold.... March 30, 2017 01:30AM
Hang in there. Like others have said get some pulling partners. I'm certain you won't have any trouble finding them. I didn't pull last year but hauled my friends tractor to pulls. That kept me in the sport and I got to spend time with those I pulled with and met over the years. It was a lot less stress and money than pulling. A double bonus !

Re: What's the future hold.... March 30, 2017 05:18AM
Well, I appreciate all the positive feedback... Thank you! Yesterday, was just a bad day. I have been sitting for a couple years. One year I was thinking a guy was helping me but instead he screwed around an lied to me about getting me the parts he promised. Then the next 2 years I sat cause of surgeries and now it looks like another year unless I find someone to drive for me, but we all know that not as fun as sitting in the seat...lol. I have 2 young guys who help, but they both recently married with newborns. I'm trying not to upset there home life, which I think we all understand. Plus I would hate to put them on the seat with a new engine and thing go wrong quick, since they never drove before. I didn't sleep much last night, this has been on my mind. I thinking about getting my chassis changed so that most of the weights are in place and then take a couple 25lbers that can be moved around depending on the track. The other possibility of changing classes so that I'm not working on it all the time. Someone told me to pull antiques, those guys move tons of weights at a pull.

Again thanks for everything.....

Re: What's the future hold.... March 31, 2017 12:12AM
I don't know where your location is but if you pull in any Northeast Pa. pulls we could help you at the ones we go to. I know how hard it is to set out especially at your favorite pull.

Re: What's the future hold.... March 31, 2017 07:26AM
Where are you located Dirt Monkey? To go along with what jd43 said, here in SW Wisconsin there is a great bunch of pullers that wouldn't hesitate to give you a hand. I hope your days get better. Good Luck!

Re: What's the future hold.... April 01, 2017 09:39AM
Thanks for the offers, I do appreciate it. I'm in Central Ohio

Re: What's the future hold.... April 01, 2017 09:50AM
What do you pull I may have pulled with you but can't figure out who you are

Re: What's the future hold.... April 01, 2017 11:40PM
I know how you feel? I have been staring at a major open heart surgery in my future for quite some time too! really cant avoid it? as the alternative sucks! yes ? maybe the puller may sit this year? but hopefully I can have fun with it in the future? As my neighbour would say " better pulling weeds? then pushing them!" keep yer chin upSmiling

Re: What's the future hold.... April 05, 2017 02:36PM
Thanks for the encouragement. Jim, I wish you the best with your surgery and hope you get to feel better. Trust me it sucks sitting on the sideline. I went to the Spring Expo in Columbus last weekend, my family and I should have been there, the longer I stayed the more I got pissed and determined that at least my family will be showing at state fair this year. Of course once I got home the family thought I was smoking something...lol. I'm just going to push the tractor to the back corner of the shop for another year. Just going to get itwinterize it for an extra long winter....

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009