IH low oil pressure problem May 31, 2017 06:55AM
Have just rebuilt my prostock motor with a different block (now using a newer type casting without the IH logo cast into the right hand side) I have been pulling the same class and same motor type for the last 12-15 years and always build the motor myself, so I know my way round it fairly well. However, went to start it and don't have hardly any oil pressure at all (puts the light out, but does not show any pressure on the gauge, have turned it over without the sender in and it only runs out with not much behind it). Bar the obvious, eg. Left a bearing shell out, (I'm anal when it comes to rebuilding, so I don't believe I've missed something like that!) etc am I missing something? Is the newer block different? I know the rear cam bearing/top end lubrication set up is not the same and have modified it to the same as the older block style by sleeving it and drilling out the gallery to feed the rocker shaft. I have fitted new core plugs in the front and rear of the main galleries, so I know that's not the issue. Am using an Aviaid pump which was rebuilt with a new shaft and seals ( have had this apart twice and it is assembled correctly!) My main question is , is there anything different internally between the newer and older blocks that I don't know about, extra plug or similar? Also any other ideas would be appreciated as its really got me baffled!Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2017 06:58AM by dwayne.

Re: IH low oil pressure problem May 31, 2017 07:06AM
Could the block have an issue where the oil galleries are leaking through the casting internally?

Could you have an older supply hose that has deteriorated enough that its collapsing and starving the Aviad?

COO for OTTPA

www.outlawpulling.com

www.truck-specialties.com

Schaeffer Oil Representative

[www.schaefferoil.com]

Re: IH low oil pressure problem May 31, 2017 08:24AM
Thanks for the input. Have fitted new braided supply pipes, so not that. Checked the block over before I used it, any crack would have to be massive. Supply is Aviaid 2x2" sections, so lots of flow. Removed oil union in middle of block on left, think it's a cross drilling from #4 main (it's where my pressure gauge picks up) and nothing comes out at all when cranked over. Anybody had a strange happening with the Aviad, it's always worked well and I've been more than pleased with the whole oil set up.......Just clutching at straws!

Re: IH low oil pressure problem May 31, 2017 11:38AM
Did you try removing one of the pressure lines from the Aviad and see if it was moving any oil?

Re: IH low oil pressure problem May 31, 2017 12:46PM
Have an Aviaid oil section that Wolff sent back to me - wasn't making pressure as it should be and the clearances were wrong, seal rolled, and gear was rubbing. Was told to send to Wolff and now have plenty of pressure.

Re: IH low oil pressure problem May 31, 2017 02:34PM
did you measure your oil clearance on rods and mains? i put standard bearings on an undersize crank accidently once and had very low pressure.

Re: IH low oil pressure problem June 01, 2017 04:31AM
Piston coolers removed / missing?

Re: IH low oil pressure problem June 01, 2017 05:40AM
What about your factory pressure relief valve cavity did you put anything back in there to keep from dumping oil back in the pan?

Re: IH low oil pressure problem June 01, 2017 07:52AM
Piston coolers all in OK, had them all out and refitted them. Checked that the stock relief valve was fitted (have heavier Spring fitted) just to check, the end with the o-ring in is fitted into the cap/plug is that correct?

Re: IH low oil pressure problem June 01, 2017 10:44AM
Drop the pan, hook up a pressure oil supply tank. Turn it on and see if there is a major leak.

Re: IH low oil pressure problem June 01, 2017 01:11PM
Happened to me once, turned out the pressure relief in the Aviaid pump was stuck wide open. It would not make any pressure. Took the bottom plug out, tapped it from the top to get it out, cleaned it and the bore, put it back in and had full pressure again.

Re: IH low oil pressure problem June 02, 2017 11:53AM
Call me, 605 -480-1077

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,686, Posts: 229,788, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,080, Posts: 225,952.

Our newest member Jason