Diesel RPM pickup June 29, 2009 04:16PM
I'm not an experienced puller. One of the groups I hope to pull with requires an RPM pickup with a 2 prong plug on the rear of the tractor. This is a Farm Stock diesel class. What should be used for the pickup? I'm a drag racer, and it appears that a MSD crank trigger pickup with a magnetic stud on the balancer would do the job. Please let me know how it's done. Thanks

Re: Diesel RPM pickup June 29, 2009 07:00PM
Here is a link to one, everything is included [www.datalogpp.com] it can be purchased through Fair Valley Performance. On the Datalog site go to products and scroll to the bottom, part you are looking for is 3316.

Re: Diesel RPM pickup June 30, 2009 02:40PM
Thanks, BC. That looks like what I need. Kevin

Re: Diesel RPM pickup June 30, 2009 02:51PM
contact schied diesel ask for a isspro pick-up magnet kit about 60.00

Re: Diesel RPM pickup July 01, 2009 02:28AM
Thanks, Allen. That's a bit better price than the Datalog kit. I appreciate the tip. Kevin

Re: Diesel RPM pickup July 01, 2009 03:26AM
It would also be a good idea to check in with the organsation you want to pull in. Most have the sensors available at a reasonable cost and probably have a standard plug in to use. Just want to make sure your setup will work before you get to the pull. Loading up and going home just stinks.

Re: Diesel RPM pickup July 01, 2009 01:19PM
We use the same one allen is talking about and no problems except daddy didn't clean paint off ballancer and slung magnet off. Other than that it works excelent.

Re: Diesel RPM pickup July 01, 2009 02:27PM
you only need to use one of the two magnets that are included in the kit or you will get a double reading

Re: Diesel RPM pickup July 03, 2009 05:48PM
Thanks again for the info. The Schied kit arrived today- instructions say 2 magnets, but I knew only one is used. This group uses a 110 volt style plug, got that and wire today, should be a simple install. Rain predicted tomorrow, so the tractor will stay home for this and a few other things. I appreciate the responses- Kevin

Re: Diesel RPM pickup July 06, 2009 05:32AM
How is the rpm checked? Does the sled have a tach somewhere?

Re: Diesel RPM pickup July 06, 2009 04:45PM
I new to this, but I understand they use a regular houshold type plug to hook your mag pickup to a digital tach on the sled. and boot you if you exceed the RPM for the class. The bunch I pull with aren't using it yet, but are considering it. Another group I will be pulling with later in the season require it. I don't care either way, but it would weed out some of rule benders.

Re: Diesel RPM pickup July 06, 2009 04:55PM
Yes it does weed out the rule benders, and they work pretty well. Check with the tech guys of the associationgn(s) you are going to run with. They can tell you how many magnets to put on. I think most associations only use one, but I was track official one night for a 2800rpm class and had a guy taching 5500.?.? He 2 magnets on the balancer so the machine counts one rev as two. The tach on the sled can be configured to about any number sending devices.

Re: Diesel RPM pickup July 07, 2009 01:15AM
Do most sleds have this type of setup?

Re: Diesel RPM pickup July 07, 2009 03:38AM
As far as I know, no sleds have it (someone correct me if I'm wrong). As far as I know, it is up to the association to figure out how to police their rules. We've had good luck with our sled operators working with them to find the best way to mount the monitoring device though. Our association bought the monitor and the senders. Each competitor bought a sensor from the association at cost. Someone has to take the lead on figuring out how to mount the monitor to the different sleds being used.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,775, Posts: 229,945, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,032.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009