Llss puller questions. August 02, 2017 08:37AM
Who is a llss puller? In midsouth where I will be the majority pull alkys. But there is a few diesels still. Alky seems to be the top dog of the class here. Which can make more HP? Also I've been told that the only way a llss really tears up is if you just have bad luck. Is that true? If not what tears up the most or most common? Will be pullin an Ih.

Re: Llss puller questions. August 02, 2017 03:36PM
Hey Lewis, Are you able to sypher what Bama is asking because I have no idea.
By the way, your grammar and sentence structure has greatly improved. keep up the posts.
Wayne S.

Re: Llss puller questions. August 02, 2017 04:19PM
Wayne S.
Are you able to sypher what Bama is asking because I have no idea.

Wayne, I'll decipher what Bama was asking. (Not that you asked me, but I'll make things a little easier to read for those who might be interested in helping out our friend.)

1. Who is a Light Limited Super Stock puller?

2. Does alcohol or diesel fuel make more horsepower?

3. Is it true that the only way that a Light Limited Super Stock really tears up is if you just have bad luck?

4. What tears up most commonly?

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Llss puller questions. August 03, 2017 12:29AM
I didn't think it was that hard to read

Re: Llss puller questions. August 03, 2017 12:37AM
1. Are you wanting like a list, or were you just asking for input from a llss puller? If looking for a list, just got to Midsouth's current points standings.

2. Both diesel and alcohol can make the neccessary horsepower. But, there is a reason 80% of them are alcohol.

3. Define bad luck. While I believe you can get a lot of life out of an alky llss, there is always the threat of charger, bearing, valve train, and compression issues.

4. My guess would be turbos.

If you are really wanting to jump into pulling and on a limited budget, I highly reccomend buying one vs building. Just my .02

Re: Llss puller questions. August 03, 2017 03:25AM
Biggest thing is go have fun, buy one or build one you will still spend money . If you do your own work , run what's best for you.

Re: Llss puller questions. August 03, 2017 06:08AM
Wanting info from a llss puller. That was just some questions I had. Im looking at one right now that's diesel but if later on I wanted to convert to alky how hard is it to do? And what all parts is needed to do so

Re: Llss puller questions. August 03, 2017 07:24AM
Screw spark plugs in, throw on an MSD ignition, put on a fuel pump, put on a fuel system, change compression ratio, change gear and go pulling.

Re: Llss puller questions. August 03, 2017 07:43AM
So what do you think it would cost to swap a 466 ih motor to a alcohol

Re: Llss puller questions. August 03, 2017 08:30AM
Well I am not an IH man, but I am not sure that you would start with a 466. Believe you would go with a DT 360 so the cubes are right to begin with.

Rods - 3600
Pistons - 1200
Rings - 600
Balanced Crank - 2500 (I suspect llss are running counterweighted cranks)
External Oiling system - 750
Clutch and flywheel - 2500
Front drive - 750
Head work - 1500
Fuel Pump - 1200
Fuel System - 1000
Ignition System - 1500
Turbo - 3500
Computer - 1500

Odds and ends - 1500

My guess is you would have $20k in the motor pretty quick. This is my approximation.

Re: Llss puller questions. August 03, 2017 08:38AM
Forgot Camshaft, lifters, block work - 3000

Re: Llss puller questions. August 03, 2017 09:34AM
Is this to convert to alcohol or is that to build a diesel motor ?

Re: Llss puller questions. August 03, 2017 09:22AM
if you buy a tractor make sure it meets the rule set for the association you would pull the most with
fuel is up to you. spark plugs are less hassle to maintain though every combination can and will break, just give it time
how much experience do you have behind the wheel of a pulling tractor? llss may not be the place to start if you don't have much seat time on anything much less a llss that can get squirrelly
whatever you decide its gotta be fun and within your budget

Re: Llss puller questions. August 03, 2017 09:35AM
Llss is what is in my price range. I've never been on one haha. I'm just starting out

Re: Llss puller questions. August 03, 2017 10:40AM
Thanks Wayne he text me several times on the phone I tried to help .I just requested he called me because everyone knows I cant spel and IM a one finger tiper typer

Re: Llss puller questions. August 03, 2017 11:52AM
Sorry Bama, I was just trying to be funny because of the way that it was written.

But to answer your question:
If you are talking about stock parts, there are a bunch of pieces that would get torn up pretty quick in the drive train starting with the transmission, and the differential and the clutch. Actually you would never be able to compete with out first spending about $6k in those areas. At that point, you should be fairly reliable.

Lewis, I always enjoy your posts because you typically tell,it like it is. Keep up the good posts.

Re: Llss puller questions. August 03, 2017 01:33PM
A good charger, I don't know your pulling group rules, but find a good one . Hx 60 is a good start

Re: Llss puller questions. August 04, 2017 12:36PM
You will be to heavy and will always have to run junk light weight tires and the tractor wont balance although the 407 is a great engine but very expensive to work on you sure cannot operate a competitive diesel on a tight budjet' ,The price of a good fuel system and turbo alone will build a decent running alcohol engine

Re: Llss puller questions. August 04, 2017 02:06PM
It's been bored out to 470 cubes

Re: Llss puller questions. August 04, 2017 05:29PM
If you going to run diesel I would build a 466 and then you may still be short on power

Re: Llss puller questions. August 04, 2017 06:39PM
I think it's now a 468 with a s400 turbo
13mm Bosch p pump
bigger injectors
706 rearend
double disc Kentucky clutch
water injected
Aluminum disc brakes
120 fuel lines

What could be added to make more HP? Hx60 turbo and what else

Re: Llss puller questions. August 03, 2017 12:52PM
it has a 706 rear end it has a 407 engine with a Vogel can 13mm p,pump. Water injection kit on it and it is 470 cubes. What else is needed?

Re: Llss puller questions. August 04, 2017 03:38AM
A 706 rear end with a 407 in front of it will be really expensive to get light enough.

Re: Llss puller questions. August 04, 2017 04:15AM
It weighs 5500 empty with no weight and driver

Re: Llss puller questions. August 04, 2017 10:38PM
Whose tractor is this,we run llss in Ky an a lil bit in Tenn,gonna start running Mid-South next yr,just wondering whose it is an had we seen it before.

Re: Llss puller questions. August 05, 2017 02:32AM
It's called smokin farmall pulling team

Re: Llss puller questions. August 03, 2017 01:34PM
i wish you the best whatever you decide, but most of all have fun making memories with your son

Re: Llss puller questions. August 03, 2017 02:06PM
Thank you buddy. That's what I'm looking forward to the most

Re: Llss puller questions. August 04, 2017 02:44PM
Whats the better turbo a s400 or hx60

Re: Llss puller questions. August 04, 2017 10:10PM
I run a s400 from fvp. Been a good turbo and very reliable. The hx 60 is better ,but I just haven't up graded. Still will spend around 4000 for the turbo's, with billet wheels

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,678, Posts: 229,780, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member Jason