Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 05, 2017 04:09AM
Probably the most iconic phrase in the sport of truck and tractor pulling came from the late, great announcer Keith Bradley, "FULLLLLLLLL PULLLLLLL!" The sound of this at the National Tractor Pulling Championships was our sports equivalent of a cannon being fired at a college football game after a touchdown or the goal horn at a hockey game. Hearing this phrase the crowd would go wild with excitement as another puller qualified for the pull off to see who would win the prize money and the championship ring. The 300ft. full pull was the distance every puller wanted to achieve. In football 100 yards is a touchdown, a ball hit out of the park in baseball is a home run, in tractor pulling 300ft. is a full pull.
The full pull and pull off is still a common occurrence in Europe, but in the United States and Canada the floating finish has become the standard format among the sanctioning bodies with pulls of 350, 370, and even 400ft becoming not uncommon. The question one asks is why has this become the norm? Is it the introduction of dry blocks and other engine setups that are not designed to cool down as fast to make it for the pull off? Is it the introduction of the "racing sleds" that no longer weigh as much as the Ellenbaum and Luedtke sleds in the past nor carry 20-30,000lbs. of weight for the weight boxes to pulls? Or is it the fact that the Agritronix and laser measurement systems used in the sport have made the pull off obsolete?
Those in favor of the floating finish claim that the fans want to see the pullers go past 300ft. and have the floating finish as it speeds up the pull. Some fans may want this, but I believe this is not as popular of an idea among the fans as it is among various pullers and event promoters who may want the pull done by a certain time. If this was the widely held belief among fans, then why isn't drag racing done by who ever has the fastest heat time instead of having qualifying heats? The reason fans get excited when a puller goes 300ft. or more is that they remember that it is a full pull. This is why the distance markers stop at 300ft. instead of having 350 and 400ft. markers. 300ft. MEANT something. The floating finish diminishes the excitement of 300ft. by making it just another distance. If every puller in the class goes 300ft. or more (which I have seen before multiple times), the 300ft. mark is just as meaningless as the 200 or 250ft. marker. Then what is the point of going 300ft.? A run of 300ft. done by a puller would make them a star in the fans' eyes at the pull they were at. It made them one of the top pullers, one who could come out the winner in the pull off. It created drama and thus told a story at each event. It built suspense among the fans as their favorite pullers go down the track.
You may say I am being over dramatic. You may say I am stuck in the past. You may say I am out of touch with the fans. I am one of the ticket buying fans at the pulls and one of the viewers on television and YouTube. I have been around the sport of truck and tractor pulling my whole life, and at my young age can say that I am going to be apart of the future of the sport. I am just one person with my own beliefs. What do you think about this issue?

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 05, 2017 05:55AM
I agree 100% with what you said. Many pullers complain about the cost of running twice, but pulling has always been a hobby and has been an expensive sport on the national level for 30 years! In my hobbies, I want to spend more time "playing", not less, even though it costs me more to play more. I would rather see my favorite Unlimiteds run in a pulloff the handful of times I get to watch them each season, but it continues to be less and less. Maybe thats why the sport doesn't draw the enthusiastic crowds like it used to. One and done is the new normal, but it doesn't make it better for the fans. I'll bet BG has some pulloffs!

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 05, 2017 06:18AM
Doug Roberts was the first to start this with Outlaws years ago and now a lot of other associations are doing the same. Have heard or read his reasons before and I think some reasons were breakage with multi day events or muti day sweeps. One reason for longer track was the number of people sitting at 400 feet or more and he wanted the action in front of them. It had worked good for Outlaws for many years and I think most of the pullers like it.

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 05, 2017 06:53AM
Pull offs are becoming a thing of the past; get use to it.

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 05, 2017 06:57AM
If they are becoming a thing of the past, why did NTPA adopt a new full pull rule for the 2017 season?

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 05, 2017 07:16AM
If NTPA would float the finish, would not need a convoluted 330 rule.

Just like the 310'-320' rule in years past.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2017 07:18AM by top row fan.

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 05, 2017 08:47AM
I actually liked the bubble rule back when it was 310ft. I know they ran a floating finish at Monroe a few years back.

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 05, 2017 11:14AM
NTPA ran a floating finish at Bowling Green last year. Made the new 330' rule this year, stuck with it at Tomah to the dismay of all of the fans only to toss it out several times since then.

Pulling has changed. Sleds work much differently these days-- start easier and run faster. Full pulls should only be used at horse arenas and indoor pulls. Anything else is just stubbornness.

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 05, 2017 09:47AM
I like both. For your regional pulls the floating finish is nice. When I go to Tomah, Bowling Green, or like Louisville I like the pull offs. I wish the sled could get it closer to 300 ft vs 340 or 350. As hard as tractors and trucks are running today I can see the sled man missing it. I know it cost a lot for every pass made. I am glad there is people out there willing to spend the money so I can go watch. So thanks to the pullers out there and the promoters for putting on the shows

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 05, 2017 04:43PM
I agree with the OP completely. It's hard for me to remember a pull where the crowd didn't enjoy a pull off. If you want a floating finish, stop them before 330'. I don't need to see someone go 360'. I don't understand why it's better?

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 06, 2017 01:48AM
Isn't it just as hard on a pulling vehicle to have a floating finish as it would to just stick with 300'-310'-320' full pull and then have a pull off? Because once you go past a certain footage say (200') mark the tractor is working the hardest and going 340+ is just putting unnecessary heat, wear and tear in a pulling machine?

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 06, 2017 02:06AM
Quit beating this dead horse. It's going to boil down to whether or not the pullers want the pulloffs or not, as to whether they stick around. As "unfair to fans" as you're going to claim it is, that's the way it's going to go.

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 06, 2017 05:19AM
put some weight in the box,make the drag racers pull something,stop em at 300 - 320,for gully sake.

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 06, 2017 06:18AM
There is only so many hooks, that engines can take. And that's just the engine. Think of all the other parts on a tractor, where something can go wrong. If you want a pulloff, then go write a check when something breaks during it. Obviously you have no clue how much things cost and how hard it is to keep them running. Almost all pullers would rather not hook in a pulloff.

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 06, 2017 06:44AM
make the damned expensive tractors pull harder at 100 ft,then limit the pulls to past 320,will eliminate most pull offs,not everyone needs to go 350,or more,past 300 heat and carnage doubles triples and more when pressures oil and water are hot and past the point of common sense.

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 06, 2017 08:02AM
Plum crazy just gave us the answer to making pulling great again go back to pull offs so some of the big boys will wory more about keeping an engine alive Than living for the moment Load the wagon lets tractor pull on strait dirt track and race on blacktop. No fan wants to se the sleds ass go 60ft buy them and cant even se the tractor that's pulling it theres very few count fairs that has seating past 300ft put some weights in the sleds and some guts back in the tractors Dam boys a manewer pit pumpin tractor can make it 300 ft against the SS tractors on a 400 ft track

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 06, 2017 10:34AM
Thanks Lewis,now days common sense isn't so common any more and neither is wisdom with Political wrongness !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 06, 2017 11:39AM
Pulloffs are fine at brush pulls.....but at professional events like NTPA and PPL I say float the finish. There is too much money in the engines to make a pulloff when everything is hot. Obviously this puts more pressure on the officials and sled operator to get the sled set correctly right away for each class. The draw back is getting half way through the class and the leading truck or tractor is at 275 ft or 350 ft.....makes for poor entertainment and unhappy pullers.

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 06, 2017 02:15PM
Since you are a puller how many chances do you get to make sure you get YOUR tractor set right there are way more pulling groups out there that are just as professional as those two groups are that's a stab in the back for the other 90 percent or really 97 percent of the the pullers that makes pulling what it is Grand NATIONAL aint shitt to 80 percent of the Fans out there because they never get to see them

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 07, 2017 06:00AM
What???

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 07, 2017 04:01PM
DU what was so hard to understand plain and simple

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 07, 2017 06:46PM
If full pulls are so hard on motors, they should probably quit letting the first puller in the class drop their hook. No point in risking the damage.

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 07, 2017 11:22PM
I agree with you Aaron you made some good points for your argument. I had to chime in though I thought this was really funny. "puller" made a comment about professional events which in my mind insinuates the pullers are in fact professional. By definition a professional- (of a person) engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime. I know of no one that pulling is their main paid occupation. So by that it's just a really really expensive hobby done by those who can afford it. The only professionals are the builders making money off the hobbyists.

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 08, 2017 01:44AM
Floating Finnish is a joke , pull off is part of tractor pulling - it tells who the real deal ( make a pass and come back and do it again) not cry about a warm engine , should think about that when building engine - it's all about the show !

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 08, 2017 02:09AM
Grubby, you stole my thunder. I was going to bring up the same point. If multiple runs a night are so bad on the iron, then why do well over half the first hook tractors drop and come back for a second try?

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 08, 2017 03:26AM
I live within 5 hours of 12 pulling associations....All have successfully used the floating finish for many years.....The fans and pullers both like it.....If they didnt I guess pulling would either die or go back to time consuming pull offs..I know about 20 different pullers and they dont mind making a 300-340 ft pass...The average winning distance at the last pull I attended was about 325 ft..

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 08, 2017 08:27AM
How do you know that the fans and pullers all like a floating finish? I am in the middle of Wisconsin and also surrounded by several pulling organizations. I go to around ten pulls a year and have yet to meet one person who complained about a pull off.

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 08, 2017 10:26AM
Grubby, you must have wore ear plugs Saturday night at Tomah then. Fans are smart up there. Lady behind me said they run floating finish at BG because of rain & late start, they should do it for Tomah too.

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 08, 2017 02:55PM
Ntpa set their rules and followed them at tomah Saturday night. I imagine the tractor breaking in half slowed things up a bit. You can preach floating finishes all you want. The sport was built on pull offs and it should stay that way. Like I said earlier, they don't seem to worried about their motors when they drop the first hook of the class. And let's face it, how long does the average pull off really take?

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 09, 2017 01:38AM
Grubby
How do you know that the fans and pullers all like a floating finish? I am in the middle of Wisconsin and also surrounded by several pulling organizations. I go to around ten pulls a year and have yet to meet one person who complained about a pull off.

I know plenty of pullers and fans and have had many discussions with them....They all like a floating finish..If they didnt we'd be doing something different..Back in the old days with pull offs the pulls lasted so long that the stands were empty at the end..

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 09, 2017 02:11AM
Obviously the NTPA disagrees with you. Apparently their fans and pullers like the pull off.

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 09, 2017 07:49AM
This is a discussion that's ridiculous. I can't think of anyone that makes a decision about attending or competing in an event based on there being a floating finish or a pulloff. By now the historical precedent has been set at most events as to whether or not there's a pulloff or not, you know with a relative amount of certainty if there's going to be a need to put multiple passes on a vehicle in one class.

But, if you asked,

I used to like pulloffs but now I'm of the opinion that for the health of a class-across a season-floating finishes are the way to go. I cannot see how they don't save equipment like turbos whose life is determined by the number of heat cycles they undergo. Pulloffs are a time-soak; think of it this way: Four classes, all four have three pullers in a pulloff; there's going to be a minimum of an extra 15 minutes to complete each class. You've now added an hour to the pull, a pull that would have otherwise finished at 10pm (stands still full) finishes at 11pm (stands 1/3rd full). Time and again you can see a crowd pattern change between 9:30 and 10:30pm. If you don't keep the crowd engaged, they will check their phones and see that they need to get their kids home and put to bed. A pulloff that requires a sled weight change will kill the crowd, a sled gear change would keep them there because it's a seamless less time consuming change but you never know what may be necessary to make the pulloff safe (length of track required to determine a winner vs. actual safe length of track).

That all said, I give zero thought about pulloffs or floating finishes in my attendance of a pull. I am there because I enjoy it regardless!

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 09, 2017 10:59AM
As a promoter of a pull a pulloff or a floating finish makes no difference to most fans. What makes a difference is stopping all the pullers before 300'. Fans want to see pullers go beyond the full pull mark. if there is a large number of pullers in a class, a pulloff becomes boring to a lot of fans as they get tired of watching the same class for a long period of time. now sometimes track length and amount of runoff creates a situation where pulloffs are going to happen but if there is plenty of room run a floating finish unless there is a shortage of pullers. Pulling is a competition but it is also an entertainment event for most. if it is not entertaining anymore fans will not show. no fans == no pulls. look at NASCAR

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 09, 2017 12:53PM
When I was a fan befor being a puller the pulloffs with a good announcer made the show everone rooted for there favorite. Now to floating finish theres not enough vehicles at the pulls to make for a late night like in the old days or at least around here Back in the old days there was local farm classes that opend up the show befor the big boys started That is what happened to a bunch of your big crouds on the county fair levels neighbor against neighbor brought a lot of family and friends out to the fairs,Now and that is were 90 percent of tractor pulling happens .NOW to Bryan what kind of kick does anyone get out of seing the ASS end of the sled go by them 60 ft PAST THE END every fan tries to set towards the finishing end of the track if they are a fan you don't se many UTUBE vidieos that's any good filmed behind the sled at the starting line LOAD THE WAGON AND ANDTHEN FLOAT IT TO 300 TO 320 Now If you want to watch something float take the wife and kids to the Home coming parade if you want to se a race go to the strip like someone said theryes a lot of first hooks get turned down and come back again

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 09, 2017 12:58PM
Well said Bryan...Totally agree.

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 09, 2017 10:40PM
Let's watch the back of the sled go up and down and a dust cloud from a lose @#$%& track at 350' thats tractor pulling ? Don't agree with Bryan - if it gets to late they must of had to many classes . I'm for the show not to just run them through

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 09, 2017 11:01PM
Or they could tighten the sled up to stop most everyone in the 275 range and only the best of the best could go 300. Of course then what's the point of a race sled if it's set heavy?

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 09, 2017 11:12PM
I think we all can agree that it is still called "TRACTOR P U L L I N G !!!!!!!!!!!!! Make the sled heavy enough to stop most at or before 300,then one or two where ever they land,-- pulling after all is what we sign up for. The excessive speed is what causes many driving accidents, on the highways also.One thing though is I have yet to see a tractor driver pulling --- texting or talking on phone !!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 10, 2017 06:32AM
I think everyone makes some valid points here but in the end it's about butts in the seats. Im a fan of pulling no matter what it is because I believe there's room for everyone to exercise their idea no matter how they pull. antique, classic, national stuff, transfer sled or dead weight on concrete, it makes no difference to me. My work represents all of those things in some form or fashion and I am blessed to do it.

I have yet to hear a crowd boo a run past 330 feet.

Crowds like speed. The casual fan has been on a steady diet of speed now for over two decades and changing back will empty the stands. In having speed, yes, we need to be safe about it as well. Speed requires room to operate, and if we haven't noticed many places now have seating beyond 300 feet. Casual fans buy those seats and purchase goods from vendors and that makes promoters happy. If the casual fan isn't happy they don't come, and if they aren't there the promoter finds something else to promote.

This is of course is a side discussion away from the central topic. In the end we cannot jump in the time machine and return to 1987. I loved pulling back then just as much as I do now. And as much I enjoyed what I saw then, that brand of pulling isn't coming back, and I still don't stay awake at night worrying if I will see a floating finish or a pulloff.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 10, 2017 07:32AM
Sounds to me like its time for Jake to set up a nice 3 tier poll for us, lets get the votes in from all 3 sides, promoters, pullers and fans. some of us might be truly surprised by the results

BTW Bryan, i am one of those fans that stop going to floating finish pulls.

So whats next? eliminate the passing grade in schools? ya that sound stupid eh? just as stupid as getting rid of a full pull mark to beat in my opinion.

2 poor 2 pull :-(

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 10, 2017 08:45AM
"So whats next? eliminate the passing grade in schools? ya that sound stupid eh? just as stupid as getting rid of a full pull mark to beat in my opinion."

Farthest distance still wins regardless if its based off a pulloff or a floating finish last time I checked, thats a fairly smart concept.

You don't "beat" a full pull mark, you "accomplish" a full pull (300 ft, 320ft, whatever) to qualify for a pulloff if we're splitting frog hairs here. Otherwise you're suggesting you're in favor of a floating finish.

Pulloffs are not inherently smart nor stupid, nor is the concept of a floating finish; they are just two different means to declare a winner. I don't mind it either way but if I were forced to make a choice I've made that clear. If you see me ranting about a pulloff at the end of the track then I need to have my head checked. Also...If we start handing out participation ribbons then I'm out....why even measure distances?

Which brings me to the other version you see in Europe where there's what i guess is a qualifying pass then a second pass in each class. Do I like it? It's ok I guess. Would it keep me from going? No, I'd actually like to see how those shows "flow" with that structure in place, in person. Splitting frog hairs once again. As long as they're having fun and they're safe, So. Be. It.

P.S. Social promotion in our school systems is not a new concept, which essentially is what you're saying. I had students who came to me when I was teaching high school that could barely write their name and ended up in high school because the middle school didnt want to bruise little johnnys ego when he didnt pass his classes. But thats a story for another time and another place.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Poll at top of page August 10, 2017 09:49AM
Poll at top of page, vote early and often!

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 10, 2017 10:58AM
What I notice with pulling in Europe is they always have a pull off. But it also seems the sleds are always set way light the first pass. Which is a high speed show and an easier pass on the tractor. Then the second pass is usually set more like you commonly see here on a regular sled setting. I'm not for or against a pulloff but if you want to have thst as standard I think the first pass should not work the tractor so hard.

I personally have always like the European pulling videos and would rather watch their prostock class than any prostock class you see here in the US. The light prostock class is a similiar type of show just lower power so i enjoy it whenever i get the chance to see it. I also enjoy seeing a lot of color in a class that are competitive with each other which is why my second favorite class swings towards the Lss class here in the US.

This is a comming from a 27yr old fan/competitor.

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 17, 2017 05:00AM
You might find that funny, but the Pullers here in Germany themselves can get pretty angry with the track officials if the sled is set too heavy to have at least 1/3rd of the class through the gate because: "It kills the show, the fans want Full Pulls and in the end they pay for the show".
The other thing here with many pullers is, if they travel like 300 miles + to an event and then only get to hook once they really don't like that.
But then - one major difference is, your typical mid level team here is not doing much more than 12 events per season.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2017 06:52AM by Sascha.

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 10, 2017 10:13AM
Well said Bryan....I too have never seen a crowd boo when a puller goes by 330' in a floating finish pull but they sure have got on their feet and cheered...I have seen them boo when there were excessive numbers in a pull off..That happened in the TWD class at Henry,Illinois around 2001..I have also seen the crowd very unhappy when everyone is stopped at 250-280 ft.....I too was once a fan of pull offs in the days before the high wheel speed tractors and racing sleds...I have seen it take 3-4 sled resets to keep everyone from making a full pull.....Back in the days of pull offs I've often seen 3 tractors in a class make a full pull..The pull off never happened because they got together and said we are going to split the prize money and not repull...I hate to say it but in my area pulling would die if we went back to 300 ft tracks and pull offs..330-350 ft tracks and a floating finish is the norm here..Pull 325 ft once and we have a winner..

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 10, 2017 02:15PM
WERES THEM BIG CROUDS NOW .I pulled in late 80s any were you went the stands were full the crouds were like on the European vidieos excited standing up chearing ,clapping .Now someone has to blow up catch on fire or run through the croud to get any excitement Tractor pulling is becoming just something to fill in a nights schedule of a 7day Fair event whitch is also starting to dwindle away more and more county fairs are coming to a end no longer having them The variety is not there any more the rural areas that made it all happen is not rural any more the loss of the county only farm class has dropped the attendance numbers and YES maybe we wouldnt want to se Grampa pull his old 4010 John but I bet 10 or more paying butts in the seats probably just came to se him and its the butts in the seats that keeps the show going Theres a time and place for everything and County Fairs are the place for the County participation

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 10, 2017 02:33PM
Floating finishes are good for probably 90% of the pulls out there..

Pulloffs will only work now a days, if you have a GOOD announcer. The announcer is what has to build excitement in the crowd to get them riled up for the pulloff.. IF you don't have a good announcer than can build that excitement, don't even bother, you'll lose the crowd and you may as well just move on to the next class.

IF you're going to have a pulloff, give the pullers involved an incentive to come back and put on a show for the crowd.. Be it another $100/250/case of beer/etc..idk Guys will launch their motors for less during a normal pull...

Look at bullriding, especially local(ish) shows, they get the crowd all riled up with a good DJ and upbeat music. I think pulling could use the same concept to accomplish the same thing if having a pulloff, get the crowd into it. The more they're into it, the longer they'll stay, the more beer they'll drink, the happier the promoters will be..

---

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 10, 2017 02:51PM
For every FF that ends up at 325', there's one that finishes at 355' or 360'. How long until it's 400? There are safety concerns as well. Alot if tracks are pretty liberal with how close fans and vehicles are to the track and there have been a lot of near misses in the sport lately. I don't think longer tracks and higher speeds will help that. I'll end my opinions with this: if the 3rd, 14th and 25th tractors in the class were the top 3 place winners, was it more exciting watching them pull 3rd, 14th and 25th or watching them pull as the last 3 in the class to decide it in 3 final runs? Now go vote a bunch of times!!

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 10, 2017 03:16PM
Ive seen tractors that will burn your butt on a long track but when the wagons loaded on a short track they are just another tractor it almost seem theres some kind of sled malfunction going on with the way the switch drops the pan I agree with Ryan and the announcer that would go with any event

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 10, 2017 03:26PM
At the Grand National/Super level their should be pulloffs. It's the top level of the sport, imagine a NASCAR race were the winner was the fastest car in qualifying. On the state or regional level I'm ok with a floating finish. I also think if we're going to have pull offs the mark should be 310-315 feet

Comment August 11, 2017 05:28AM
Bryan, You need to watch it, you are making too much sense,here. and, yes, teaching sure has changed in the last decade or so! JW

Re: Comment August 11, 2017 10:27AM
I voted that I would be there either way but in my heart, I will always love the pulloff, especially when there is some good buildup from the announcing crew. I have promoted and done it both ways and sometimes when there is a time crunch floating a finish is absolutely a must. Sometimes it works better throughout the night to have a mix of both outcomes.

Please excuse me for my ignorant question. August 11, 2017 04:43PM
What is the name of this website?

Re: Please excuse me for my ignorant question. August 12, 2017 03:20AM
That's a good question Supertiquer. Kinda funny once you stare back and look at it lol. Guess Jake needs to find a NEW NAME for this website lol. As a puller I like the 330 rule try to float them and stop them before they get there then let the good drivers or power tractors take it on out if they can and have a pulloff. I haven't seen a track yet that was dug up and kept maintained past 330 I may be wrong but takes long enough for the promoter to build a 330 let alone alone 450 track to make it fair for everyone.

Re: Please excuse me for my ignorant question. August 13, 2017 02:53PM
Supertiquer

Oliver with Cat 3208
Guess Jake needs to find a NEW NAME for this website.

Miles Krieger's website is named "Miles Beyond 300" and how long has it been since 300 feet has been used as the standard for a full pull? Spinning

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Please excuse me for my ignorant question. August 13, 2017 03:40PM
John Murray
Supertiquer

Oliver with Cat 3208
Guess Jake needs to find a NEW NAME for this website.

Miles Krieger's website is named "Miles Beyond 300" and how long has it been since 300 feet has been used as the standard for a full pull? Spinning

Never at the NFMS, but they still have pulloffs there.

Re: Please excuse me for my ignorant question. August 14, 2017 12:38PM
You made some good points Oliver with a Cat I don't believe many people would have problems with floating finishes but there needs to be a limit not a 325 ft pull tonight and a 360 tomorrow night

Re: Please excuse me for my ignorant question. August 14, 2017 03:30PM
I like that Floatoff.com lol that's a good one. And yes Lewis we need a limit. I know the fans like 400+ but the tracks are not properly built to be fair past 340ish. Especially in like a superfarm class which I run where we depend on traction and digging in the whole way on an even track that has been worked up the entire way. If we can make it fair for every puller then I and all for it mainly bc I have no choice when running an all points matter schedule. I love watching 290 to 320 pulls just as much as I like watching 400+ pulls but there has to be space and safety involved each way. SO WHAT IS A GOOD LIMIT? 400? 370? 330? Got to shut it off somewhere or we will all have to build a motor to be able to run at full power for 45 second passes instead of 15.

Re: Please excuse me for my ignorant question. August 14, 2017 01:31PM
FLOATOFF.com

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 16, 2017 01:56AM
Hell, i don't know... I don't like running stuff hot, but i've been stopped because of my kill switch, and believe me, i was pulling again, hot or not, i wasn't loosing because of that.

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 16, 2017 12:48PM
I think either 660 feet or 1320 feet is a good distance. After all, it's not much different than a drag race anyway.

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 16, 2017 03:07PM
I am a puller. Run 3 different tractors in 3 different classes. And several of the pulls the promoter has the sled operator stop us in front of the audience. Last pull that was around the 240 to 260 mark. Audience doesn't want to be looking at the back of the sled when it stops. If longer distance is what people want then the location and promoters need to move the audience further down the line. But in a safe manner. See too many times where there isn't anything between pulling vehicles and the audience capable of restraining the vehicle. Yellow ribbons, chain link fence or small ridge of dirt won't do it.

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 17, 2017 11:09AM
better change site name to FLOATING FINISH

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 18, 2017 03:16AM
Or you can call it the joke show that's what it turns in too

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 18, 2017 05:37AM
In the recent poll on here the floating finish easily won as I expected...Its here to stay and even NTPA is going to to it more and more..When NTPA does have pull offs you have to go over 330 ft to get in it..In my August NTPA Puller I was looking thru the recent Tomah results...To start out the 4WD class it says that 4 sub 300 ft runs resulted in a sled reset.....After the sled reset there were 7 past 330 ft and they all came back for the pull off....In the past I thought that only the top 3 came back?The "Punisher" pulled 334 ft the 1st time and in the pull off comes back and pulls even further at 340 ft to win it..They obviously didnt even reset the sled..He pulls a total 674 ft to win 1st place and people on here are upset at the thought of a single 340 ft run winning a floating finish pull....Run them all once with a sled setting of 310-330 ft and we have a winner.....It saves time and there less engine and drive line maintenance..

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 18, 2017 06:58AM
That pulloff at Tomah was also awesome to watch!! I also don't see why you believe NTPA is "going to it more and more" when they have clearly stated that pullers over 330' will be in a pulloff. Where do they state they are using floating finishes more? Just because PPL and Outlaws run more floating finishes doesn't mean the debate is over. Maybe it's part of the reason Outlaws are hurting these days? I don't suppose that ever crossed anyone's mind though. The biggest pull in the world is happening right now and they run pulloffs. Hillsboro had them too and the pulls ran great. I'm sure that the promoters did that because the fans don't want them. I am also somewhat confused by the whole argument that it takes too much time. I wasn't aware that tractor pulls were only supposed to last an hour? How many pulls dink around with classes that have 4 or 5 tractors in them? How much time does that take? I'd rather watch a pulloff than a 4 tractor class with 150' of separation between the pullers. If you want to use a poll and this sight as your logic that's fine. Thankfully the NTPA and PPL don't.

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 18, 2017 01:47PM
The NTPA is slowly going floating finish whether you realize it or not...At first 300 ft was a full pull,then 310 ft,then 320 ft,and now 330 ft...Lets say I go to an Outlaw pull and theres 12 in the class....1st place is 347 ft,2nd place is 328 ft and 3rd place is 326 ft and of course there is no pull off.....I then go to an NTPA pull and theres 12 in the class.....1st place is 342 ft,2nd place is 329 ft,and 3rd place is 327 ft and there is no pull off...Wouldnt that also be a floating finish? NTPA uses the floating finish in case of rain and some years its been used several or more times...With only 5 in the class the Enderle is floating finish and some of the distances have been well over 350 ft..I've seen the results of NTPA pulls where there were no pull offs because in every class the top 3 pulled from 310 ft to 329 ft..I've been to floating finish pulls where none were over 330 ft..

Re: Floating Finish Vs. Full Pull August 18, 2017 04:45PM
THAT IS EXACTLY THE POINT WE ARE ALL MAKING,FLOATING IS OK AS LONG AS THE PULLS ARE AROUND 320 OR LESS,FINE TO DO IT THAT WAY,JUST NOT OUT IN THE PARKING LOT PAST 340- 350.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,721, Posts: 229,845, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,972.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro