cat or cummins,oliver October 29, 2017 05:13AM
looking to build a oliver over the winter.going to use a 8,3 cummins or a 3208 cat.i have access to both motors at times.the class will be a hot/open farm type class,and diesel.maybe someday in the future moving up to lt/lim pro,down the road.it seems like the cat is easier to get as cores for parts and a few dollars less.which motor would be the best to start with and to build upon ?.looking to be competitive with the red/green tractors too.what are the downfalls of each motor ?,the heads don't sound like the best for either brand,can one be made competitive ?,does either have a recast (himes) head available ?.whats the pros and cons of each ??

Re: cat or cummins,oliver October 29, 2017 06:57AM
The best from a stand point of being competiitve in a hot farm class would be the 8.3 cummins. Lots of potential in that motor compared to the kitty-cat, especially in limited air/rpm classes.

Just food for thought

Re: cat or cummins,oliver October 29, 2017 09:32AM
Class rules are the most important fact in motor selection, you will most likely have a difficult time finding a hot farm class that will allow the 3208 as an option with it being 636ci. Most hot farm rules are 510 max. With that being said both can be built to run with the other brands, but you will most likely spend more to do it. The cat motor has been used in the pulling world much longer than the 8.3 has. Support of the 8.3 on the performance side is growing in popularity but is relatively new. I only know of a small handful of 8.3 that are running really well in their class but it can be done. Good luck with your build!

Re: cat or cummins,oliver February 10, 2018 09:52AM
following

Re: cat or cummins,oliver October 29, 2017 12:50PM
I moved from the Cat to the 8.3 Cummins with no regret. Had a hard time finding places to pull the Cat.
Now pulling in a 466 ci class, de-cubed 8.3. We have just finished our second season and are still making advances on the green and red.
This engine has a lot of potential. PM me to ask any questions.

Re: cat or cummins,oliver October 30, 2017 07:29AM
I have some info for you and some contact information for you for both motor setups call me anytime after 5pm est. during the week and anytime on the weekends Bill. 419-722-492three.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,675, Posts: 229,776, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,949.

Our newest member Jason