Alcohol for fuel In the begining Whos was The First November 06, 2017 01:05PM
Who was the First to run Alcohol and how did it come about .The first ones I remember in ky was the Booze Burner Case the Poor Looser Oliver and a Ih 560 or two like Billy Long they won a lot so I guess that's why i remember them and the old Mean Jean

Re: Alcohol for fuel In the begining Whos was The First November 06, 2017 01:42PM
Back in the 70"s most of the pullers ran on Alcohol ! But i think you might be talking about the tractors and not the pullers ! Ha Ha

Re: Alcohol for fuel In the begining Whos was The First November 06, 2017 02:07PM
I was around 7 or 8 when I saw my first SS tractors my Dad pulled Farm classes around a few counties they were big there was something else I remember from back then our county fair had what was called the Hoochy Coochy show I didn't no what it was until later but my Dad would always give me a few dollars to spend at the Carnival just to get rid of me.Now I no it wasn't a drivers meeting under that tent

Re: Alcohol for fuel In the begining Whos was The First November 07, 2017 12:30AM
It's dang near 2 hrs long but look up "pulling documentary title 5" on YouTube it focuses on the alcohol beginning and who was paving the road.

Re: Alcohol for fuel In the begining Whos was The First November 07, 2017 01:55AM
They may not have been first but the Connors,Lyle Hull,and Brent Long made it work...

Re: Alcohol for fuel In the begining Whos was The First November 07, 2017 04:39AM
Don't think they were the first, but i remember back many years ago Ron Perry and Don Nolan had those big Cu. In. MM engines that ran on LP Gas. Kinda impressive for a gas tractor in those days!

Re: Alcohol for fuel In the begining Whos was The First November 07, 2017 07:07AM
Some of the Ron Perry built tractors had to be first to run it, I know they did at one point.

Eric Prewitt
The Prewitt Pulling Team
Public Relations for
The Pulling Radio Network

Re: Alcohol for fuel In the begining Whos was The First November 07, 2017 07:17AM
Henry piper, tom urmson with I soar, miller bros Oliver

Re: Alcohol for fuel In the begining Whos was The First November 07, 2017 02:05PM
The Conner boys were just kids following their dad around at pulls when Henry Piper was running on alc. They were just as interested in pulling then as they are today. There was a Hill from I'll. That ran good on alc. At the same time. That would have been late 60s early 70s. MACK

Re: Alcohol for fuel In the begining Whos was The First November 09, 2017 04:55AM
pup
The Conner boys were just kids following their dad around at pulls when Henry Piper was running on alc. They were just as interested in pulling then as they are today. There was a Hill from I'll. That ran good on alc. At the same time. That would have been late 60s early 70s. MACK

Larry Hill from Pleasant Hill,Illinois had a 460 IH in 1971 and it was a runner...Before that he and his brother both pulled Wards tractors..I dont know for sure when they went alky....Lots of tractors ran alky in the early 70's but few had it totally perfected..Theyd run great at one pull and then pop and bang at the next..

Re: Alcohol for fuel In the begining Whos was The First November 07, 2017 02:01PM
I'm 38 and my dad tells me stories about how he helped Freddie Nichols from northwest iowa the way I understand Freddie was a grand national champ in 1970 in the diesel class and he started all over and went alcohol and fought it and fought it but my dad claims at the time that was one of the very few alcohol machines around but he never did get the bugs worked out

Re: Alcohol for fuel In the begining Whos was The First November 08, 2017 01:21PM
IIs there any of the old timers out there that can tell us about the discussions and arguments when alcohol was voted in to be a legal fuel IT HAD TO HAVE BEEN INTERESTING

Re: Alcohol for fuel In the begining Whos was The First November 08, 2017 01:37PM
There were a lot of people running on alcohol from Illinois in the early and mid-70s . Doyle and Gary Quick, John Meese,Ron Shafer,Harold Tenhouse,Loyd Wewell,Millard Dukeman name a few.

Re: Alcohol for fuel In the begining Whos was The First November 08, 2017 02:33PM
"chris h", www.pulling-reference.com helps you with some of the Freddie Nichols pulling history.
1970 NTPA 7SS national champion. I will assume that was diesel & 4010.
'74 to '78 is 4010 "Spark-Aholic".

All the other thread contributors, yes, your suggested pullers each had alky powered tractors.

Re: Alcohol for fuel In the begining Whos was The First November 09, 2017 02:17AM
PRETTY SURE THE MEAN MOLINE WAS THE FIRST ALCOHOL TRACTOR IN THE NEBRASKA BUSH PULLERS. BUILT SOMEWHERE AROUND 1982.

Re: Alcohol for fuel In the begining Whos was The First November 09, 2017 04:07AM
id surely think alcohol was used in the 60s in pulling,most on here forget that the 5000 ss class were 90 percent gas tractors in that era,ide lay money that alcohol was being used by someone in the early days,things were carberated and a single turbo.you guys are thinking way to modern about this.a simple needle/seat and jet change in a carb and your on alky at that time

Re: Alcohol for fuel In the begining Whos was The First November 09, 2017 04:09AM
even nitro was used in that era too

Re: Alcohol for fuel In the begining Whos was The First November 11, 2017 02:06AM
haugens and hawthorne ran it in 70s

Re: Alcohol for fuel In the begining Whos was The First November 13, 2017 01:25PM
I had a interesting call this afternoon from an older gentlemen that is to old to be bashful but is that had lots of information and has been around pulling Since back in the 60s He attended the first pull at the farm Machinery show and the first pull at Bowling green Ohio and watched the first twin turbo diesel go down the track .He says alcohol was started by some in the 60s and thinks Ron Perry and some one else i forgot the name was among the first and that Ron Perry was very good.He also pulled SS back when the weight was 5200 pounds in Ohio and 5000 here in KY with all his knowledge of pulling over the past 50 years i wish he would make up a fake name like everyone else does and fill us all in on a lot of past History .I'm glad he called me because i love pulling and he was full of information hes still pulling and will be back out next year GOOD LUCK

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009