Light super stocks weight July 07, 2009 12:42AM
Can someone tell me what the differance in weight is for the diesel and and alcohol light super stocks is in the NTPA, do they both weigh the same. what would be the right weight for them.

Re: Light super stocks weight July 07, 2009 05:16AM
5800 lbs straight up! wouldnt that be nice

Re: Light super stocks weight July 07, 2009 05:18AM
But what would Esdon do?Eye Popping

Re: Light super stocks weight July 07, 2009 05:27AM
pull in the heavy class were he belongs! but its not just him in my opinion the whole class is far from light, id call it mid weight or something or maybe even limited heavy! is an awsome class to watch though

Re: Light super stocks weight July 07, 2009 10:11AM
"pull in the heavyclass where he belongs"

Eye PoppingEye PoppingEye PoppingEye PoppingEye Popping Man that outta stir up a can of worms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm proud of you Cory.
lol

Re: Light super stocks weight July 07, 2009 11:03AM
Can you imagine the Bomb pulling at 5500 pounds! That would be awesome!

Re: Light super stocks weight July 07, 2009 02:03PM
you bet i would like to see it! would it be awsome? i kinda dont think so, it would be all dust and screaming emgine and might not go anywhere. but then again i mite be wrong it mite hook up with a realy fast gear and be awsome. but we probly wont ever know

Re: Light super stocks weight July 07, 2009 03:28PM
wish it would go back to a 55, 75, and 95 supers. room for everyone where they belong.

Re: Light super stocks weight July 07, 2009 03:56PM
I agree. The light class is getting too heavy. 5800lb sounds good too me!!!

Re: Light super stocks weight July 08, 2009 02:57PM
It's also too big. 400 CID and no decubing would be enough.

Re: Light super stocks weight July 08, 2009 03:03PM
So can the light supers around the midwest go back and forth between NTPA, OUTLAW, and PPL?

What specific rules if any, keep them apart?

Re: Light super stocks weight July 09, 2009 02:41AM
PPL does not have a LSS class, at least not on their national tour. I presume some of their member states do, but I don't know about the rules.

Outlaw does not allow components, NTPA does.

Re: LSS & LLSS weight July 09, 2009 01:48AM
Personally I think the Light SS class should be 6000 lbs. I agree that the class has gotten a little too heavy, but I think 6000 lbs. is a reasonable compromise, it’s light enough to put on a very (very) exciting show, but not so light that the strength of parts and chassis’s will be compromised. The 504 class is currently the best SS class going, there no need to make any major changes to any other rules.

On a slightly different note:

I know we are talking about the Light SS, but I also think the Light Limited SS classes should be the same weight or lighter. Personally I think the LSS should be somewhere between 5500 and 6000 lbs. The LLSS is the perfect place for the smaller cube (originally 3- bottom plow) type tractors. There’s no need to be running a LLSS class at 6700 lbs.

As for the 400 cube regional type LSS tractors… I’d personally like to see them pick a direction and head one way or the other in the next few years. Either move towards the LSS class or move towards the LLSS class. The regional LSS class at the winter pulls proved to me that they need to go one way or the other, but there’s no need for a SS class in between.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: LSS & LLSS weight July 09, 2009 09:46AM
I don't know Jake, it seems to me that the regional class had plenty of entrys that would argue that they have a place. To big for limited but do not want to go the component direction. You are correct about the 6000#. Light super at any level should not be any heavier.

Re: LSS & LLSS weight July 09, 2009 11:37AM
I shouldnt even waste my time on this, but this one really gets me going! Are any one of you who posted running a Nationally competitve LSS? I bet not, and the ones of you who I know, you have nice tractors but they are not National caliber Tractors, Have you noticed the Tractors at 6200 lbs with the front end loaded with weights and still on the wheelie bars? Pulling today aint like it was 10 or even 5 years ago, the sleds are loading the Tractors harder now than ever before, more frontend weight is required, not even to mention we now have to use these 460lbs HP's to be super competitive. So you can have these beliefs or wants and wishes, Im talking real world drop the hook and ride it out the other end 6200 lbs is were it needs to be maybe 6500lbs for the Diesels! Thats my .02 worth.

Re: LSS & LLSS weight July 09, 2009 12:59PM
the reason everyone has all that power is because the weight kept raising and with more weight you could build more power and put it to the ground. if it would have stayed at 5800 or leave it at 6 then when you built more power you wouldnt be able to control it and you just spent a crap load of money for nothing. why dont you just move up and run unlimited super or the diesel class? dont get me wrong i do love to watch the "grand national light supers" run and they are very impressive but they reminde me of the heavy supers of 10 some years ago just at 6200 not 7500. watch the bomb and all the big hitters run , reminds me of the bad medicine of years gone by. carry the front with all the weight up there and fly out the end. if it was still light i think you would see more of us "regional light supers" run in the class with you ,cause it would be more of a power to the ground to get the win rather then who has the biggest engine. and just like you said the diesels maybe should get more weight so whats next split the light class into a diesel only and alchol only class? hmmm think that has happened before also

Re: LSS & LLSS weight July 09, 2009 01:10PM
Exactly right ,the 5500# 4010's made much more power than the 460's that usualy beat them.

Re: LSS & LLSS weight July 09, 2009 02:47PM
Wher did this 400 cube thing come into play as far as the regional lss class goes that jake is talking about? Maybe I am wrong but I don't think that that was a rule at the winter pulls.

Re: LSS & LLSS weight July 09, 2009 02:58PM
Now wait,
I bet that came from my garage.

Re: LSS & LLSS weight July 09, 2009 03:22PM
I’ve not heard anything about a 400 cube thing.

I was simply referring to the pullers who are in-between the LSS and the LLSS. There are some pullers and organizations that I honestly think might be better suited if they simply picked a direction to follow and build towards. Both the LLSS and the LSS are great classes, there’s no need for anything in-between. There are regional tractors that run very similar to the ORVTPA tractors, and I believe if you look at the results from the winter events you’ll see the 3x4 ORVTPA tractors are impressive and competitive to say the least.

The Outlaws for example are stuck somewhere in the middle... many pullers are stuck somewhere in the middle. I hope that sometime soon the LSS has unified rules across the US, and I also hope that a set of unified rules can be adopted for the LLSS class. I honestly hope that the twin charger 300-360 motors either decide to take their chances against the 504 or go to a single 3x4.

My point is we don't need another class, and we definitely don't need a 400 cube regional LSS class.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: LSS & LLSS weight July 09, 2009 03:41PM
The regional class was 505ci.  The main thing was no component tractors.  Our ci and head rules are the same.  Three turbos below 360, two below 505, so I don't know where the 400 thing came from.  It was discused a long time ago in a garage far far away and the forces that be decieded to leave it at 505 which is somewhat universal.  Back to the 6000#  thing,  the component world can do what they like as that class is awsome, but for the noncomponent world keeping it to 6000 is a perfect equalizer.  It might be that a light weight class may also allow the deisel to be more competitive because the alcahol tractors can't hook up or stay under control. Just my $.02 

Re: LSS & LLSS weight July 09, 2009 03:48PM
Jake, It is also obvious that you have never attempted to compete with a component tractor with an ag tractor or you would never make the statment that another class is not needed. They are not the same class at light weights. And further more there are alot of ag light supers out there that are no where close to making llss rules and should have a place to pull without pulling against components.

Re: LSS & LLSS weight July 10, 2009 01:21AM
Also is if there is anybody out there with any 505 ag LSS or 360LSS would you please PM me. I would really like to discuss some things and the possibility of a new class!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2009 01:29AM by DeereHunter.

Re: LSS & LLSS weight July 10, 2009 01:10AM
I do agree that the 360" tractors could geat into a LLSS clas by dropping 2 turbos, but what about the 505" guys. Without switching to component tractor which is a huge investment, what can they do?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2009 01:34AM by DeereHunter.

Re: LSS & LLSS weight July 10, 2009 12:49PM
Components aren’t mandatory in the LSS. The 505 guys can run with the rest of the 505 guys. There are tractors like Haley’s Comet, Crazy Horse, and Red Ink that do just fine with a tractor rearend. If those pullers ever decide to change to a component then they can choose to change as their finances or time dictates. They also have the option of decubing and getting down to 370 and running with the LLSS.

One of my all time favorite LSS tractors is a regional LSS, the Levee Leaper of Ivan Carroll. For some reason I just really like that little tractor, and honestly I think is would make a perfect LLSS.

The LLSS is great, and the LSS is great, there’s still no need for anything in between.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: LSS & LLSS weight July 10, 2009 04:31PM
I know components aren't mandatory, but they do have a hell of an advantage, around 4-500 lbs more movable weight. Jake, I agree there is no need for a new class, but they need to figure something out. Maybe give the ag rear guys a couple hundred lbs over the components, an inch on the drawbar or something. Hell, maybe even split them into 2 classes like they did with the supers dack in the diesel/alcohol dispute days. Keep in mind, I'm only talkin' about the state level, because all the LSS tractors that run GN are component. There was an AC LSS last year that ran last years GN LSS class, but I think he's updating. A LSS with 3 and a360" just have to drop 2 chargers, and I know you can decube a 505", last years ORVTPA points champ was running a destroked 474" as a matter of fact the LiL' Sailor is basicly the old Blue Blazes with a destroked crank. But, does the man that built a $40,000 engine for a LSS and then not have another $10k+ left to go component want to have to go get his crank cut on and welded up + buy pistons and sleeves, smaller fuel pump, nozzles, etc... I don't think they should have an in between class either. The guy that spoke of a 400" class, that is basicly LLSS. But they should fugure out some way to even them out for the guys that have a $50k + tractor that can't afford the update.

Re: LSS & LLSS weight July 10, 2009 04:45PM
Deere hunter, THE ONLY GUY THAT SPOKE OF 400" IN THIS THREAD TO BEGIN WITH WAS JAKE HIMSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NO ONE ELSE DID BEFORE HIM ON THIS THREAD.

Re: LSS & LLSS weight July 10, 2009 05:08PM
Actually if you go back and look, sfd823 was the first to mention it. I CAN READ you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: LSS & LLSS weight July 11, 2009 01:39AM
I meant CLASS.

(originaly 3-bottom plow) type tractors? July 10, 2009 02:20AM
explain that one . is that the 6030 jd SF PS fan in you doin the talkin ? llss lets all kinds of tractor in. just not b.b. deer so just what are you getting at. for the record llss are making superfarm horse power.and if pros ever gott over them selfs and lett a gas tractor in we would take that challenge at 2/3 the displacement. are you ever gunna shut up and pull anything?

Re: (originaly 3-bottom plow) type tractors? July 10, 2009 04:35AM
You are absolutely right Tony. I like watching a smoker as much as anyone, but it is just easier to take care of an alky. I think there is room for alky in most classes, they are just scared of 6 sparkplugs! (4 in your case)LOL! Just look at ORVTPA it's fum to see if the alkys or the diesels are gonna win! And none of the whole alky/smoker bickering like the NTPA had!

Re: (originaly 3-bottom plow) type tractors? July 10, 2009 12:39PM
Tony,

“The LLSS is the perfect place for the smaller cube (originally 3- bottom plow) type tractors”

I’m not sure what fired you up so much about that statement, but I stand by it. The LLSS is the perfect class for the AC 180, the Farmall 460/560, the Oliver 880/1650, Cockshutt 570, Ford 7910, John Deere 4010, MM670, even those off green Deutz tractors etc… Most, or all of those tractors were originally rated as 3-bottom plow tractors.

For the record, I love all those tractors. I love watching all of them pull. I love the LLSS class. I love the fact that there is a place for all those tractors to pull. Tony, if you haven’t figured out that I’m a fan of SMALLER cubic inches then I suggest you reread many (almost any) of my opinion articles. I think the small cubic inch classes are the classes of the future. I think the 640-680 classes are dinosaurs and will someday be extinct.

I personally think the LLSS class is the perfect place for the smaller tractors. By the way, just because they are smaller tractors doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be a place for them in this sport. The smaller tractors were the backbone of many family farms for decades and I love that they have a place to pull.

I personally think the ORVTPA has a great thing going. I personally think the LLSS proved that there is no need for a regional Light SS class.

So I’ll stand by my statement “The LLSS is the perfect place for the smaller cube (originally 3- bottom plow) type tractors”, and I’ll stand by that statement and the LLSS class.

As for your two part question “are you ever gunna shut up and pull anything”. Well, I’ll probably never shutup (although my wife may wish otherwise), it’s what I do, it’s why I have this page. As for if I’m ever going to pull anything, well I don’t have the income for that to be feasible right now, but who knows what the future will bring. Honestly if I had the money I’d probably start out with an alcohol LLSS and pull with the WNY ProFarm pullers, and jump in with the true LSS in ESP.

Keep up the great work with the sheetmetal, and please know that I’m a huge fan of the originally 3-bottom plow tractors.

Deerehunter,

As for the alcohol and diesel rivalry, I think it’s one of the best parts about the SS class. I don’t think alcohol should be in all tractor classes, but I definitely enjoy the classes it’s in.

To everyone, thanks for occasionally getting fired up, and thanks for using the page, sometimes it’s the disagreements that make the page more fun.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Long Live Spark Plugs & LLSS!!!!!!! July 10, 2009 05:02PM
I agree that it shouldn't be in all classes as well Jake. There is no room for it in any type of hot farm, pro farm, or superfarm, But I think it would do the Lim Pro and Pro Stock classes some good. That is literally the best part of the ORVTPA. It is so great to see squealers and smokers pulling together and these guys are all good friends for the most part. The fans love it, and there are always huge turnouts at these pulls. Long Live Spark Plugs and LLSS!!!!!!! The greatest class ever! By the way Tony, whats all the talk I hear of the dv550 in the shop. Your dad ready to play again? DeLynn Kale is working on a new project with the old 550 from Something Different to guys!

Re: Long Live Spark Plugs & LLSS!!!!!!! July 11, 2009 01:42AM
Need it or not, Outlaws, Illini State, Illiania and I am sure to be more soon have it. Not only do we have it, but we have great support for it. The llss classes in our area will not allow alcahol and I do not see them changing their minds. ORV has a great class as well, their rules fit the tractors they have our rules fit the tractors we have. Illini has had six hooks so far with five winners, some of which are pretty well known noncomponent light supers from four states, an avg. of nine tractors with five or six more on the way. For a class that is not needed or nobody wants, it seems to be doing very well. For someone to decide what classes are needed four or five states away seems a little off. They do not know the tractors around that area or what sort of support they would have. Let the GN level do what they feel is best for them and leave our 6000# non component 505ci class alone. It is not broke so someone 750 miles away does not need to fix it.

Re: Long Live Spark Plugs & LLSS!!!!!!! July 11, 2009 02:28AM
Pulling as a whole always seems to justify new classes and new rules with the “it works for us” attitude. And while I’m extremely glad that it works for you, generally that attitude hurts the sport and/or the class in the long run. The “it works for us” attitude generally causes a class to become very fractured, with different rules from club to club to club. These different rules do two things that are extremely detrimental: 1. it potentially limits pullers from being able to travel between clubs, or it limits them from being competitive in another club. This not only hurts pullers but it hurts fans from seeing the best possible show with a “surprise” pullers showing up at any event. 2. Because a tractor is built for a specific set of rules for a specific club it has very limited resale value, and a very small resale market. This is extremely detrimental to the puller who spends money on his puller and the club near him has it’s own set of rules.

As for me being 750 miles away, and fixing your class… how can I fix it? I have an opinion, but I don’t write the rules for your club. I have a webpage, but I don’t have a vote at your meetings. I have an opinion, nothing more, and while this country is still a somewhat free country I have the right to express that opinion. I always think its funny that when I write my opinion and someone agrees with me, it’s all great and everything is rosy and the sun is shining and they thank me for writing about their class, but if I disagree with them I’m a jerk that lives far away and shouldn’t be meddling in anyone else’s business. Sometime we agree, sometimes we disagree, it’s all good. I honestly don’t care if we agree or disagree, I care that we are expressing our opinions on what we think is best for the class, not what’s best for us, or a small group. It doesn’t matter if you have $25,000, $50,000, or $150,000 invested in your tractors your opinion counts the same. It doesn’t matter if you own the tractor, or if you are the crew chief, you’re still entitled to your opinion. It’s doesn’t matter if you built your tractor or bought your tractor you’re still entitled to your opinion, it doesn’t matter if you sit in the stands or sit in the seat, you’re still entitled to your opinion. I enjoy all the opinions on this page, even the ones I don’t agree with (of which there are often many), and I enjoy that so many people care so deeply about the sport.

I care about what’s good for the sport, not about what’s good for a specific club. “It works for us” almost never takes into account the big picture.

As for the GN LSS, it’s long-term success is very dependant on the state and local clubs. For a class to be healthy it needs a feeder system/farm system, (like AAA baseball is to MLCool. Unified rules across all levels allow that feeder system to function correctly.

Thanks for the opinion.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: Long Live Spark Plugs & LLSS!!!!!!! July 11, 2009 03:04AM
We can go anywhere we want. We did not create a new class just for our club. It is the same class light super was. We still meet the rules for GN, we just can't compete. We also have alot of numbers to draw from. Most of these are not new tractors. They are tractors that were your light super class before components. They were told that they were antiques and they needed to update. They are not a feeder for anything now as the class they helped build no longer wants them. Well we DO want them and love to see them run. If you want to look at raw numbers, we are not the minority class at all. The ag tractors built for light super may not have a place at the GN level of NTPA, but like it or not a LOT of clubs do have a place for them.

Re: Long Live Spark Plugs & LLSS!!!!!!! July 11, 2009 03:11PM
Not to sound dumb, but where are all the feeder systems for the unlss class?

LSS vs. ULSS July 12, 2009 03:29AM
There are really no feeders for the ULSS, and that’s a huge potential problem for the class. Some of the NTPA regional tractors are 650 (but non-OHC) so they are close, and they occasionally jump in and put on a good show (Robby Crutchfield quickly comes to mind, Robby’s Massey can run with the best of them).

I honestly think the huge growth of the LSS is because of the feeder system, it’s actually a perfect example of the effectiveness of the feeder system, a tractor like Red Thunder, and Gun Powder and Lead and mix it up with the GN guys when it works into their schedule, but they can also stay close to home when work and time don’t allow them to drive quite so far. It’s part of what really makes the class exciting.

The relative stagnancy of the ULSS is also an excellent example of not having a feeder system. There are few new tractors being built for the class, the cast of pullers has remained relatively unchanged for a few years now. Yes there is a new tractor from time to time, but there are very few “local” or “state” pullers who can come and surprise the fans and the national regulars.

I like both the ULSS, and LSS, they both have some amazing tractors and some great people in both classes. Personally I’d love to see Jeff Hirt and Jordan Lustik drive LSS tractors, they are two of the best drivers in the sport, and I think the LSS is one of the premier driving, and tractor setup classes.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: Long Live Spark Plugs & LLSS!!!!!!! July 13, 2009 10:08AM
Jake,
I want to throw out some counterpoints to your arguments and probably throw in a couple of rants of my own. Smiling

“It works for us”. That one often comes from those who resist to someone else’s definition of ‘progress’. I’m not saying it applies to the LSS class, but all to often in pulling I hear of changes in rules in the name of progress. Change the turbo rule, change the pump rule, raise the CID limit all in the name of progress. My definition of progress is getting more from the same. Better cam specs. Better flowing head (same head, not cast to billet or cam in block to OHC). More efficient turbo. Every year every puller has to make the decision of whether to stay in the game or get out. Many of the “It works for us” crowd made the decision to get out, but still have the desire. Those tractors are going to sit in a shed or pull in another class, they will not be upgraded by their owners & are not an attractive buy for anyone else because they are outdated. The SF class is a perfect example of this. There are some local pullers that have upgraded & jumped up to SF, but there are almost as many who have downgraded their PS when they either didn’t want to (or couldn’t afford to) upgrade to Simga pumps & billet heads or grew tired of constantly wrenching on a Pro. In LSS let’s consider as an example a 686 that had been pulling competitively with the 505’s before components. He’s running a 359 & 2 chargers with a P pump & good 30.5 tires. If he wants to pull Badger State LLSS he has to bore the block to fit custom sleeves, the P pump has to be upgraded to quick delievery. His 3x4 charger is going to cost as much as his S4 & HX83 did together. He needs an intercooler & icebox system. His head will probably need extensive work to utilize the bigger bore. The gears will need to be changed & the tires too. All that to go slower? Of course to compete in LSS he can keep his tires & sheetmetal; pretty much everything else has to be replaced.

“Different rules from club to club”. Honestly, how much jumping around is there? My group has about 20 hooks. Early in the year & late in the year we have open weekends, but during the heart of the season our weekends are pretty much booked. We have picked up visitors occasionly but the guys representing us to the promoters can’t really promise anything related to that when selling the classes. They pretty much know who shows up regularly & thus who they can count on for numbers in each class; visitors don’t really play into that. IMHO unified rules have done more to drive UP costs for the puller. Unless you’re willing to drop a bunch, Hyper, Columbus, & etc are not going to R&D ‘new & improved’ turbos for 1000 different rules. However, if 50 organization around the country are running the same rules (see SF) they will do it & they will not be shy about charging for it. Yes it fits my definition of progress above, but yet is this even really progress? If everyone goes out & buys the upgraded chargers every year does anyone but the vendor really get ahead? After all our contests are relative to competors so we don’t have an absolute gauge like elasped time or MPH.

You may have a valid point about resale. I’ve seen tractors that were bought from a video & I’ve seen several that didn’t perform along with some that did! Building is part of the experience for me so I’ll admit I don’t have a good feel for the buy perspective.

You talk about feeding the national classes but honestly do you see a strong LSS class anywhere but Wisconsin and possibly Mid South? Ohio is very strong in several classes. Mid South covers several states, so I guess they have a couple of GN hooks in their area but one thing I see in common in Wisconsin & OH is that each have one of the 2 biggest GN pulls and almost no other GN hooks. Could that be because the state organizations have booked up the other venues capable of supporting a GN pull? Who is pulling at the smaller venues? Jake, IMHO you are living in the past with your desire to see the local folks mix it up with the GN boys. Back when everyone was bolting on truck turbos & turning up the stock pumps or adding Hilborn injection systems it worked. There really wasn’t that much more invested in the GN vehicles vs. the local ones & it did help the GN show as it essentially became local plus those following the GN circuit. The billet parts have truly been a mixed blessing. They have improved the performance & reliability of the GN vehicles tremendously, but at the same time they have increased the cost tremendously too. I see the county fair that draws in a couple thousand fans as the backbone of the State level organizations. They can’t pay the kind of purses required to support several classes of GN caliber vehicles and so they are turning to organizations like ORVTPA for classes with affordable vehicles and purses the fair can afford. Soon state level NTPA groups may be as hard to find as glaciers in farm country. (Maybe Al Gore can fix that too! Thankfully he invented the internet so we can have this discussion! Smiling)

Re: Long Live Spark Plugs & LLSS!!!!!!! July 13, 2009 02:49PM
Great post, I really appreciate your comments, we may not agree but I really respect your perspective.

You stated “IMHO unified rules have done more to drive UP costs for the puller”, and then you use the turbo in the SF class as an example. Well, yes with every club running the same turbo it will be a good reason for Hyper and Columbus or anyone else to develop that turbo, but those companies also know that the R&D costs can be spread over a much larger customer base. If every club had a different turbo size and spec those R&D cost would now be spread to a select few. You’d see a few guys with lots of money develop their 3.1375”x2.687” turbo to dominate their club, and another puller from 50 miles away spend uber amounts of money to develop a 3.125”x2.875” turbo to dominate their club. Non-unified rules will always raise costs and increase lead times for the pullers. Unified rules didn’t drive up SF turbo costs, demand did… More on that in a minute.

Eli Whitney, Henry Ford, etc… revolutionized manufacturing with inter changeable parts. The cost came down and the production went throw the roof. Unified rules in pulling essentially does the same thing for the pullers. It increases the commonality of parts and allows quicker manufacturing and a shared R&D cost. The real price of a SF turbo could more closely be related to a womans Gucci or Prada handbag… SF pullers feel like they need the latest and greatest fashion accessory, and most of them seem to have the money to spend. For many SF pullers, turbos are simply an over priced fashion accessory that may… or may not gain them 1.1275”.

Since we are discussing unified rules in the LSS class… why haven’t the turbo prices gone through the roof? Are MSD box prices skyrocketing outrageously fast? Are Waterman pump prices evolving at such a rapid rate? Sure costs increase, and materials fluctuate, but the prices haven’t risen beyond inflation. Infact unified rules are what allows technology to trickle down to other pullers. As the Bomb or 504 Rocket or blue Blazes get an upgrade every year or two, those parts trickle down to other LSS pullers. Many of those parts run on the State and Regional circuits. Many of those parts show up for a GN event or two… Bull Rush… Walkin Tall… Blue Can Fever… to name a few have all benefited from unified rules that have allowed that GN technology to trickle down, (it’s also pretty funny when the old parts beat the new parts).

Yes Wisconsin and MidSouth have extremely strong LSS classes, probably some of the best in the country, but Hoosier state has a number of extremely strong tractors. Ohio hasn’t had a LSS class in a very long time so there aren’t many Light tractors, but there are guys in Ohio building LSS. Outlaw territory is gaining GN type LSS, and there are a few non-componenet LSS witht he engines to make very very competitive passes at a national event. We have a few strong LSS in NY that are National caliber, infact Eric VanValkenburg is running the GN circuit this year, which probably wouldn’t have happened without unified rules. I’m going to go out on a limb and say Mark Hootman will probably make a few national hooks this summer… that wouldn’t be possible without unified rules. I just watched Randy Head drive his brother Don’s LSS “Head’s Up” at a state level event here in Western New York, it’s a GN tractor from MidSouth, and it put on a great show for the fans in Alexander, NY, again that wouldn’t have been possible with out unified rules. Hootman and Head split the win and the fans got to see a top MidSouth tractor run against a top ESP tractor… unified rules. The winner of the Heavy SS in Alexander, NY was Hans Boxler on a GN DSS who just came off a great weekend in Tomah, Wisconsin… unified rules. The winner of the SF class in Alexander was the Zorn Brother’s… multitime GN champions who moved up to the national schedule when they had time, but stepped back now that they have families… unified rules allowed all those things to happen at Alexander, NY just last weekend. I’d be willing to say that it’s pretty similar in many clubs around the US. You stated “IMHO you are living in the past with your desire to see the local folks mix it up with the GN boys”… I guess last weekend and the weekend before are in the past, but I’m pretty sure the same thing will happen in the future. I won’t be surprised if Boxler’s get a win(s) on the GN circuit this summer.

Now, I understand that you may run for points in your state association, but not all people do, and unified rules allow pullers to have options. I’m a fan of pullers having options.

If unified rules are not a factor… why is the LSS growing while the Unlimited/Open SS is not? Is the cost really that much more for an Unlimited SS? No, they are probably pretty close in cost. So why are all the LSS builders pretty busy building new alcohol LSS, but not many/any Unlimited/Open SS? The answer seems pretty simple to me… Unlimited/Open SS is pretty much a national only class… non-unified rules. LSS is moving more and more towards unified rules and pullers like the option of being able to go wherever, whenever they please.

As for the guy running the 686 with twin chargers… there is a similar story in every state, and there is also a time to:
- decide to park it
- decide to sell it to someone who wants it as a starter tractor
- decide to upgrade it (either up to LSS or down to LLSS)
- decide to learn to enjoy finishing at the back of the pack

All four are viable options, and I don’t begrudge anyone for choosing any of the four. Times change and technology evolves. Most of those regional type tractors haven’t evolved too much, and most haven’t kept up with my definition of technology, or even yours for that matter, if they had they wouldn’t be getting beat by LLSS with a 3x4 turbos. When the LLSS start beating the 20 year old twin and triple LSS, it’s time for pullers with the old tractor to take a serious look at their roles in the class. If nothing else fans will get to see how much things have evolved, they may not win many/any hooks, but they’ll be consistent.

There’s an old LSS on my local circuit (Empire State Pullers), and it was my absolute favorite tractor growing up, I used to watch it run in everything from the 5 Super all the way to the 11 Super, and in it’s hayday it was competitive in all of them. When I was 5, 6, 7, 8, etc. I would play with my matchbox tractors with my neighbor, and I would always pretend that I was Jimmy Meeder driving the Green Demon, I loved that tractor. He still pulls, and I still like the tractor, maybe it’s because it reminds me of when I was a kid and life was simpler. Nowadays he pulls against 504 alcohol tractors every week, and he still puts a show on for the fans. I have this ridiculous dream that someday the Demon will get a big cubic inch REI small block PS motor and just scream… (I know it won’t happen, but I can at least dream). My point is that Jimmy has chosen to keep pulling, knowing that an alcohol tractor is going to beat him, and knowing there’s a good chance a LLSS might just beat him. Jimmy keeps pulling and I keep watching the Green Demon run. My place is still on the sidelines, and the Green Demon has settled into the middle of the pack.

We don’t need a regional Light Super Stock class. We simply need a LSS and a LLSS. The guys in the middle still have options:
- decide to park it
- decide to sell it to someone who wants it as a starter tractor
- decide to upgrade it (either up to LSS or down to LLSS)
- decide to learn to enjoy finishing at the back of the pack

We don’t need another class, especially a regional LSS class.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: Long Live Spark Plugs & LLSS!!!!!!! July 13, 2009 03:17PM
Now maybe what we need is some of the guys that pull lss "upgrade" to unlss. But that would mean, that they would have to spend more money, and not be ALLOWED to put the whoop ass on the man in the middle like me. Jake is right, we don't need another class. What we need is for someone to step up and say "ENOUGH". Go pull unlss and leave the middle guys alone!!!!. Since unlss needs numbers and not 1 run wonders.

Re: Long Live Spark Plugs & LLSS!!!!!!! July 13, 2009 03:43PM
The LSS is almost all 504. Whether you like it or not 504 pushrod IS the LSS, and that’s the class that’s growing like wildfire. The LLSS is 370 on alcohol and 470 diesel and that class is growing as well. Nothing in the middle is growing! Nothing bigger than 504 is growing!

The answer for any class, including the LSS for the guy who doesn’t want to spend any money to upgrade is simple… decide to learn to enjoy finishing at the back of the pack. That goes for the LSS, Heavy SS, Mods, TWD, etc… Things evolve and if you don’t you’ll get left behind.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: Long Live Spark Plugs & LLSS!!!!!!! July 13, 2009 03:21PM
Just wondering, how are Hoosier States numbers since the component change? O wait not as good as before. Outlaws do have some great tractors but do not allow components. Puts them in the middle too. I guess in your opinion Jake, Outlaws lss is not needed either since they don't fit your universal rules idea. I also have another option for the 686. Go pulling with any group that does not allow component lss. No changes or updates needed. Have a great time, go pulling and be competitive. That is not a dig in any way on the GN component class as they also have their place, it is just a different place than the 686 example.

Re: Long Live Spark Plugs & LLSS!!!!!!! July 13, 2009 04:00PM
I’ve stated on a number of occasions that the Outlaws need to change their LSS rules and allow component tractors. They’ll be a healthier class in the long run. As for your point regarding the Hoosier LSS class… I think it’s a little too early to pass judgment. Based upon you logic Al Gore was right a few years ago and the Earth was going to burn up, but this year it sure looks like we are headed for another ice age (we’ve had near record lows in NY for two night in a row, so I’m stocking up on rock salt to keep the snow off my driveway this summer. Statistical analysis takes a little more than a couple of months of pulling.

It never cease to amaze me how many people are scared of component tractors. Infact I could list some non-component LSS that would just destroy the 686. I could also list some components that the 686 could just drive right past.

I don’t subscribe to magical power making component rear-end theory. I’m a firm believer the engine makes the HP. My advice to the 686 is pull, have fun, and pull in either a component class or a non-component class and have fun and finish where you finish. If you have the money and desire upgrade to the max and newest the rules allow, and don't cry about the guys who have something newer that beat you.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: Long Live Spark Plugs & LLSS!!!!!!! July 13, 2009 04:09PM
I am so glad that someone who does not pull can have such great ideas for those of us that do. Thanks for all the answers.

Re: Long Live Spark Plugs & LLSS!!!!!!! July 14, 2009 01:24AM
You’re entitled to your opinion, I’m entitled to mine.

By the way, I always love the “does not pull” comment. Somehow you’re trying to imply either:
- I don’t have any knowledge simply because I don’t have the money to own a tractor, (so the size of my wallet is directly proportional to my intelligence?)

or

- Fans or “keyboard pullers” opinions don’t matter, (well I personally think the opinion of fans is pretty important since they are the people who pay to watch your events.)

I really, really enjoy the “does not pull” comments about me. It comes out every few months and people use it when they disagree with me and have no legitimate argument or a weak argument. I personally think the fact that I don’t pull gives me a very different perspective than some people who own a tractor. A tractor is a huge investment and that investment is bound to cause some pullers to have a biased opinion (don’t get me wrong, there are unbiased pullers, but the investment in their shop would definitely have the potential to bias any of us). I think my lack of investment is an asset in seeing the sport, not a liability. Believe me there are times when I really wish I had the money to pull, but I don’t, and unfortunately, I most likely won’t anytime soon.

Well, the one thing you’ve got me on is that I’ve never sat in the seat and gone down the track. It’s funny though there are people who have driven and don’t know a thing about the sport. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about pulling, and I’ve got a fair bit of experience building and helping out with some tractors (both a component and non-component LSS buy the way). Who knows, maybe I’ll sit in the seat someday… and hopefully it will be my own.

Just because you don’t agree with me, I’m not going to stop writing my opinion on what I think is right or wrong with this motorsport. One last thing, I never said I have “all the answers”, I have an opinion… just like you.

Thanks for your opinion Jason, I understand your class means a great deal to you, and you obviously take a great deal of pride in your tractor, it’s a great looking ride, but I respectfully disagree and I still don't think we need anything in-between LLSS and LSS.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: Long Live Spark Plugs & LLSS!!!!!!! July 13, 2009 07:42PM
Jake, you are absolutely right, a component doesn't make more horsepower, however it does get a few more of them to the ground due to less gears and cogs for the HP to travel through. They also allow for better weight distribution and balance. I strongly feel that 504"LSS and 370"/470" LLSS are all that are needed, however they could give the ag tractors maybe 3-500lbs. just so they can get the same movable weight. This perspective is coming from someone who dropped from LSS to LLSS. I was running an alky DT360 with 3 chargers and ran competitively agaisnt the 505" tractors until some of the guys started switching to component. Thn several of us started getting our a*s handed to us. Pulling is fun, pure and simple and if you don't have the money for the latest & greatest your are just not going to win hardly ever. Don't get me wrong, you might get on a crappy track were the high tech machines can't manage to get all that power to the ground and thn you just hook up perfectly, level the front out at about a foot, and make the pass of a lifetime. It's happened to me a couple of times, but hey the sun even shines on a dogs a*s everyonce in a while. Well anyway, I decided to drop to LLSS and with the money I got from selling my 3 charger setup & plumbing and my waterman pump I had plenty of money to get a top of the line HX 60 3"x4" complete with billet wheel and a good Hilborn pump. He*l I even had a little left over for other stuff. And I love LLSS! It's every bit as much fun as LSS and is very competitive, as well as cheaper. Now, if we could just get through our awful luck and get back to the track eveything would be great!

Re: Long Live Spark Plugs & LLSS!!!!!!! July 14, 2009 01:50AM
I agree with you about the weight distribution and the gears, but personally I don’t really like the idea of giving anyone weight for those things. A John Deere 4010 rearend is heavier than an AC 180 rear, an Oliver 1650 transmission has a different arrangement than a Farmall 460, but they didn’t give anyone weight for those minor differences.

Some guys put their money in the chassis, and some put it in the motor, and some put it in both. With components everyone can decide where they want to upgrade.

Thanks for sharing your story about the switch from Light Super, to Light Limited Super Stock. Your new class looks like a ton of fun and it's a great alternative to the LSS. It’s still got some serious HP and it’s got a tremendous amount of serious competition.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: (originaly 3-bottom plow) type tractors? July 14, 2009 03:29AM
I like this conversation that has been created here about LSS and LLSS. I don't own or drive either one, but I've probably seen more runs by a LSS than any other pulling vehicle in the past 25 years that pulling has been my motorsport of choice. Somehow, some way, the ORVTPA figured it out how to develop parity in the alky vs diesel battle and I say kudos to them. While a handful of alcohol tractors are certainly at the top of the game (Bentley, Dibble, Knasel, Sipes being the ones that come to mind) diesels like Travis Gordon's Ford can come out and play with the best of them. Is 6000 the right weight? It is close, maybe 5800 is the bottom limit. The advent of the roll cage diminished the ability of many a tractor to get down below 5800, and in the name of safety it is a compromise that I am happy to live with from a fan's perspective. If something isnt broke, dont fix it!

The funny thing here is that theres a few of these LSS components now that could make 5500 with driver which is the very spot where those who are the best drivers are quickly identified. I havent a clue as to what would happen, and I dont know as though I want to find out. The closest thing Ive ever seen to such a hook was Jeff Hirt hooking in the 6 SS at the Sullivan pull 7 or so years ago with the old Runing Bare. Needless to say I thought he did a good job of keeping the chaos of 650 inches of alcohol engine properly under control to make a decent pass. Bottom line, LSS needs to stay in the neighborhood of 6200 plus or minus 200lbs.

Do we need another class in here? No. Any "3-plow rated" pulling tractor left in the barn today has a home--LLSS. They run, they dont seem to break as much as a LSS, and they put on a show. Yes, an OEM is going to have a harder time running against a component, but that isnt a death sentence. Too many good running and performing OEM chassis still out to say otherwise.

Of course this all an opinion, what do I know?

By the way Jake, I don't think a 4010 or a 7910 have ever been hooked to a 3 bottom plow, at least what Ive seen--they're beasts compared to the other tractors in your description Smiling Thanks for the message board as always.

Re: (originaly 3-bottom plow) type tractors? July 14, 2009 04:43AM
Yes Jake, all of the tractors you mentioned do have slight differences but they still have lots more gears and cogs to go through then a low drag pro fab, sqhd, & planetaris. I understand if you don't like weight handicapping, how about maybe 525-540cid motor for the ag rear. Keep in mind, I'm talking about on the state level where everybody can't afford a component. Don't get me wrong I think there is a huge need for components and if you can afford it by all means build it! I couldn't so I stepped down. Components are easier to maintain, more durable, just all around technology replacing the old. But regaurdless of any opinions, statistics show the components have the advantage. Yeah, I know there are exceptions, and some guys have the ag chassis tractors running like scalded dogs! Anybody have any suggestions on how to get the LSS evened up on the state level. Extra weight? Cubic Inches? And as for the comment about the 4020s & 7910s, I know there are a couple out there in LLSS, but usually it will be more like a 3020 rear wearing 4020 metal, or a 2840 wearing 7800 metal, etc... Or a ford 4000 wearing NH8260, ford 5000 with 8210 metal, IH 560 with 966, 666 with MX metal & on & on & on. There are a few bigger tractors, but not many. And Jake your comment about the GN parts making it down to the little guys holds very true. I can think of a million, but one comes to mind real quick, Little Sailor! Basicly Blue Blazes with a destroked crank and smaller fuel pump!

Re: (originaly 3-bottom plow) type tractors? July 15, 2009 12:02AM
Using a 3020 rear end vs a 4010 gives you literally no weight advantage! They are almost exactly the same thing & weight, as they handled approximately the same horsepower. As for the 4020 hood, there is no dimensional difference between it and 4010 either. Just possible oval muffler vs round.

Re: (originaly 3-bottom plow) type tractors? July 15, 2009 02:41AM
I can't say on the 3020 for sure but the 3010 rear is considerably smaller than the 4010. Gear centers are closer, final drives are smaller, width of the case is narrower, R&P is smaller. I don't have weights, but for them to be similar the casting would have to be much thicker.

Re: (originaly 3-bottom plow) type tractors? July 15, 2009 02:47AM
Actually, we had both a 4020 and a 3020 rear end and transmission on the scales a few years back and there was something like 350-450lbs difference between them. The 3000 series had 4 cylinders and the 4000 series had 6cylinders. I know 3 or 4 hundred lbs doesn't sound like much but it makes a big difference in a 6000lb class!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,686, Posts: 229,788, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,080, Posts: 225,952.

Our newest member Jason