tachometer July 08, 2009 01:47PM
is there anyway to use an electrical tach on a tractor. if so how would you do it?

thanks
mike

Re: tachometer July 08, 2009 02:17PM
Autometer makes one for a diesel

Re: tachometer July 08, 2009 03:15PM
An Autometer tach for a diesel has a pickup probe that can be threaded into a cover on your engine. I mounted one in the front of the timing cover of my buddies john deere 466. I machined eight equally spaced slots in the front of the camshaft timing gear on a cnc mill to trigger the tach pickup. The tach is designed to pickup off of four slots or bolt heads that are going crankshft speed but since we used the camshaft gear we needed eight slots since it only goes 1/2 speed of the crankshaft.

Re: tachometer July 08, 2009 03:22PM
WE HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH OUR TACH BOUNCING AROUND AT HIGH RPM. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM?
BOUGHT ANOTHER TACH AND PICKUP BUT THE SAME PROBLEM OCCURED. ONLY THING THAT I CAN THINK OF IS THAT WE STILL
RUN AN ALT. AND MAYBE IT'S INTERFERANCE. ANY IDEAS????????????

Re: tachometer July 08, 2009 09:41PM
I see that the proper Autometer diesel kit only goes up to 6000rpm, is there a magnetic sensor pick up kit (or conversion kit) available from them so that it`s possible to use a different type of Autometer gauge, such as a monster 5`` with more rpm range? If so, does anybody know the part number?

Re: tachometer July 09, 2009 05:17AM
Dakota Digital makes a magnetic pickup adapter that will convert a speed signal from a flywheel, crank gear, etc. as long as it has at least 32 teeth to an ignition signal so it can be used with any tach The part number is DSL-2 which includes the sensor and control box. It usually cost around 120-140 bucks.

Re: tachometer July 09, 2009 02:49AM
How big (diameter of pattern) is the bolt circle that you're picking up? I can't give you numbers of what is big enogh or to small, but if there is not enough space between pulses the wave can get erratic at higher speeds.

Re: tachometer July 08, 2009 09:44PM
If you run an alternator, have a AC tap put in it and run a tach from that lead, still have to calibrate it though, just a thought.

Re: tachometer July 09, 2009 02:58AM
We have a customer tractor in our shop that has and autometer tach on it for a spark plug motor that is being driven by a tach generator that is driven off of the original tach drive of the john deere motor
Unfortunately there is no part number on this tach generator. Has anyone seen another application like this and could maybe share the part number for this tach generator

Re: tachometer July 09, 2009 05:32AM
I run a electronic tach on my allison with a pulse generator which connects to the mechanical tach drive and creates pulses that a electronic tach can be programed to. talk to tony at D&D instruments in minneapolis MN

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,686, Posts: 229,788, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,080, Posts: 225,952.

Our newest member Jason