The many ideas to grow pulling January 19, 2018 11:08AM
I have read with great interest all of the suggestions on how to promote the sport of pulling and while I appaude the efforts I believe that most, if not all are a waste of time. I firmly believe that if the sport is not good enough, not interesting enough to sell it's self than any effort is a waste of time. The sport needs to be able to sell it's self. I hear about concerts, fireworks, dog shows, parades through town, on and on, they all will not bring new fans to the sport. People go to a truck and tractor pull to see a pull not to hear a concert. We already complain that the shows run to long so now we are going to ask the fans to stay another couple hours, forget it, not happening. With 500 hooks between national, state and regional events around the country thats one heck of alot of concerts and fireworks. Most, if not all promoters are already operating on a limited budget and we are going to ask them to pay for a concert or fireworks. I'm sure they will pay for the country concert and not have the tractor pull!

The entire show needs to be between the first hook and the last pull of the day. So the real question is how do we make those 3 hours fun filled and action packed. The simple math says that if a hook takes 15 seconds and there is 4 minutes between hooks [I have been to state hooks that take as much as 7 mintues between hooks] then we have 3 minutes and 45 seconds of nothing. This is the time that there needs to be something going on, something to entertain the fans. And I have to admit that I really don't have a good answer, tee shirt give aways, driver interviews track side?

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Agreed January 19, 2018 12:09PM
Agreed, there isn't much you can do in the down time between hooks. Adding things outside of the pull is just another event and cost.

Re: The many ideas to grow pulling January 19, 2018 12:23PM
Big pulls and big crowds was at its peak in the 80s .What was going on then that's not going on now? Figure it out and you will have your answer

Re: The many ideas to grow pulling January 21, 2018 07:37AM
Tractors were still relateable to the farm then, and the common farmer or individual that wanted to build a puller could. Now they are so far out of the realm of possibilities to build for most because its turned into a money game, whoever has the most wins and you need a ton of money to even be competitive. Add the fact that these "tractors" are now only sheet metal and engine block, i think they've lost alot of appeal. I think national, regional and state level pulling needs to scale back and reset. Just my 2 cents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2018 07:39AM by Freak On A Leash.

Re: The many ideas to grow pulling January 19, 2018 01:57PM
honestly i'm glad to see people trying to better the sport of pulling and better the show. I've seen all these guys say " I've been pulling for 30 years and i think blah blah" well I'm not that guy I'm 25 years old and been in the pulling world for 1 year. I'm currently helping my father in law build a tractor with out him i wouldn't be in the sport so I'm happy he is giving me the opportunity that being said i wanted to say this. i think that you are correct about not needing any fire works or concerts i think go to tractor pulls for the pull itself however those few minutes between pulls i do agree that is time to do something extra. i went to gordyville and i seen what jason shultz did with beer money pulling and i for one am a fan of what he and they stand for they also are trying to help the sport but at the show they tried to incorporate the kids with throwing shirts and not only kids but i also got a shirt but i also really liked that they play "walk up music" i think ntpa and ppl that have the same people pulling in each class could accomplish the "walk up song" and let each puller pick their song such as brad woods "thunder struck" played the ACDC song "Thunder Struck" i thought that was a awesome idea to do that kind of thing. i think that some event like fair pulls and gordville and NFMS and others if they are big enough to put on a good show they should get shirts made for their event i really wanted a gordyville shirt but as a business owner i know that cost money

Re: The many ideas to grow pulling January 19, 2018 03:50PM
Our local pull runs garden tractors next to the big track. Helps keep things going and gets the kids into it as well. I personally like the "walk up music", but not all people do and it's hard for some places do with limited facilities and sound equipment. I also think the tv broadcast's need to modernize a little and make it more exciting and interesting for those not familiar with the sport. Television can hit millions of people, a county fair can't.

Re: The many ideas to grow pulling January 19, 2018 08:04PM
Dick, I couldn’t agree more but to promote the sport, myself and most of the gang at Pulling Radio Network, we are not trying to put more into the sport than what is already there. But we try to put the real side of it out there, the Pullers the families the pulls or venues, let everyone know about every aspect of the sport. By using Social media to reach 10 million people weekly, we are hoping to grow the fan base 1 person at a time.

Now we don’t seem to get the notoriety as others do, but we don’t care we stick to our guns in trying to make the Pullers rock stars and names to be as well known as NASCAR drivers names are. Going to take a while to get this done but we are still trying,

Eric Prewitt
The Prewitt Pulling Team
Public Relations for
The Pulling Radio Network

Re: The many ideas to grow pulling January 19, 2018 11:06PM
These 3 min 45 can:
a) be reduced to less than three minutes. That's a matter of how much equipment you have to prepare the track and how you line up the tractors.
One thing we do at our event:
There are 3 guys organizing the pre pits.
We have two spots right next to the sled at the starting line and two tractors with those lifters, doing nothing but pulling the next two tractors there. They'll pull your tractor there, wether you're on there on not (because you still try to find your gloves, talk to your competitor or are "somewhere" watching the competition). Usually by the time they lift the tractors front end, the driver is there.
So these spots are pretty much always filled. They get the "fire up" note from the first flag man by the time the sled is going back into it's position.
Your stuff won't start and you want to drop or whatever issues,... it's the guy next to you.
Farm Stocks etc. when I am in charge - I line 4 to 5 of them up with running engines and they get the "go" once the sled stands still. Done 2 min frequency like that.
Always try to have two tow tractors at the end of the track. One regular and one back up. Best idea is to have the "back up" equipped so it can lift a back end or have like a telescope loader ready in the pre pits and better chain the driver to that vehicle.

b)be filled by:
Pulling the tractors back in the infield giving the announcer a chance to do a short interview and let the fans cheer for the tractor on it's way back. That of course implies the announcer is down in the track and not locked by a cable microphone somewhere.
Intro music.. yes, it can help but doesn't need to be extra loud as it may no be everybody's kind of music (we have some guys here having Rammstein / Iron Maiden etc. as intro music).

And another thing, which doesn't really help with the speed of the show, but might help with the financial side of things, is Cooperate Sponsoring. It's no surprise you don't get that, if you don't have a VIP area at the events.
Many events here have that and while it might take 2 - 3 years to get rolling, I have not yet seen any promoter going away from it.
What am I talking about when I say VIP:
A closed area with a good view on the track, free food, free drinks etc. and then offer these tickets to companies or give them to potential sponsors or offer them to the teams as a "package" (as an event along with banners in the track) so they can bring their sponsors (and sell off the rest in pre sales to people who want the special experience).
Here many teams pick one event, where they can actually invite their sponsors to. They then set up a little tent in the pits where they can welcome their sponsors and have them "close to the pit action" and then send them off to the VIP area during the event and maybe have a little "after show" party later on.
Where's the benefit:
The teams can present themselves to sponsors.

The sponsors (of teams or events) can invite their sales people, good customers, potential customers, ... give them a little treat, a few cold ones - and then "get to talk". Once VIP is established you can get to the point, where sponsors can start networking in your VIP area and then it's as interesting to them, as going to the golf court.

The other thing is, they can write it off as "catering" and "customer care" and it's much easier to get to those funds than get any money for a sticker or banner out of the "promotion fund" (which btw. is usually decided upon in October - you want money from a company for an event? Better know and set your date in August!!!).

We learnt this lesson when talking to race track operators (Nürburgring) who invited us to have an event there. You know how that went? They gave the dates to those associations, who bought the most tickets in advance. And those tickets were entirely paid for and given to their sponsors, who then spread them out to their customers and basically do the same thing: Have VIP areas at their teams, autograph sessions with their drivers, presentations in the pits, "their" are in the grandstand, etc....

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2018 10:54AM by Sascha.

Re: The many ideas to grow pulling January 20, 2018 02:00AM
i usually pull state level but make it to a few regional level pulls such as outlaws. i personally liked what dave bennet did as an announcer.
he had the lineup of tractors in front of him and while the track crew prepared the track for the next vehicle, dave gave a quick rundown of the next
competitors story. competitor A has been pulling for x amount of years, trying a new 'part' out this weekend. this driver ended up in blank place last year in points,
he/ she won the class at xxx, this competitor runs a xxx which is a little different than most in their class, etc. im sure he takes the time to talk to these competitors before the show even starts just to have something to talk about. and after the class is over he gives a brief explanation of the next class coming up. some people in the crowd dont realize what is under the hood and what the vehicle can and cannot do as rules.with dave doing that it definitely helped me stay focused and ready to watch the next vehicle on and on through the night. most announcers just give the class name and the person coming up next and it just kind of waters the show down and brings down the excitement but when you can inform the audience on a backstory they seem to stay interested and give everyone a little more to talk about during and after the event

Re: The many ideas to grow pulling January 20, 2018 11:52AM
I heard that for pulling to be on TV the they have to pay. TVdoes not pay them. My buddy said he heard something like 75000 tone on some second rate channel

Re: The many ideas to grow pulling January 20, 2018 07:51PM
As I have read a bunch of these comments in this thread and the other one I don't think anybody has mentioned this.

We want pulling to be more mainstream, more like nascar or drag racing. Take this as you may, but you go to a nascar race or a drag race where exactly are you going? A Speedway or Dragway! They have the proper seating, adequate pa and facilities. In short it's somewhere that was purpose built for that sport. How many places have a dedicated pulling track? How many places can you go and see a pull every Saturday night? I can think of exactly 0 of the latter.

Again, take this as you may, but maybe what we lack is the infrastructure in venues to promote the kind of growth we are looking for.

Re: The many ideas to grow pulling January 21, 2018 02:54AM
Dick Morgan
The simple math says that if a hook takes 15 seconds and there is 4 minutes between hooks [I have been to state hooks that take as much as 7 mintues between hooks] then we have 3 minutes and 45 seconds of nothing. This is the time that there needs to be something going on, something to entertain the fans.

We need to find scraper tractor drivers that are willing to sit at the starting end of the track (if there is room). As soon as that sled takes off, start preparing the track--you can take care of the finish end while the next puller is backing up to the sled. There is no sense in having a scraper tractor waiting until the pulling vehicle is out of the way and the sled is backing up, when you could have 80% of the track ready to go. The track crew is the unsung heroes of the pull but they aren't doing our sport any favors by sitting at the finishing end of the track so they can have a prime seat.

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Something to keep in mind for "theme songs" January 21, 2018 06:35AM
Dick Morgan
The simple math says that if a hook takes 15 seconds and there is 4 minutes between hooks [I have been to state hooks that take as much as 7 mintues between hooks] then we have 3 minutes and 45 seconds of nothing. This is the time that there needs to be something going on, something to entertain the fans. And I have to admit that I really don't have a good answer, tee shirt give aways, driver interviews track side?

I would like to bring up "theme songs" for different pulling vehicles, but start with a comparison of pulling and drag racing.

Is it a sport or an exhibition? NHRA drag racing is the closest big time cousin to national level pulling. The venues are both straight line with limited area for good seats (NHRA 1000 feet for nitro/1320 feet everyone else) and multiple classes per event (NHRA between 10-14 per event counting Sportsmen and NTPA approx 13 or 14 at BG and Tomah with 330 ft track).

NHRA has a longer area for seating, better tv deal, and lots more money, but for comparison if there is no oildown, it takes the same amount of time to run 2 pairs of nitro cars as it does to run 2 pulling vehicles on the same track at BG or Tomah where there are starting line and finish line scrapers.

At an NHRA race, after one pair of nitro cars run, there is a top end interview, maybe a commercial on the jumbotron, and commentary by Alan Reinhart (great announcer) and sometimes a guest sitting with him. You will never hear a theme song as the next pair of cars gets ready to fire.

First off, there is this thing called copyright law. Legally speaking, if you start playiing a "theme song" for each puller, even if only a 10 second snippet, you will find out real quick getting rights for that will cost more than you think it will.

At some point, if this is not done, all it takes is for one attorney for one music publisher or artist to see one snippet on youtube, and you're screwed. I have a background in music and companies that secure rights and licenses. Just trust me on this.

Do you think the snippets of theme songs for WWE wrestlers when they head to the ring aren't paid for to the copyright holders, whether on tv or at a non-televised event at the local arena?

Aside from this, imo this cheapens the competition aspect. If pulling was an exhibition, I'd want nothing to do with. I have to believe its the competition aspect that draws the largest share of people to Bowling Green or Wisner. If you want to be taken seriously as a sport, treat it seriously like NASCAR, Indycar, or NHRA.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2018 10:38AM by The Original Michael.

Re: Something to keep in mind for "theme songs" January 21, 2018 09:23AM
Just as a side note... the promoters here need to pay license rights here, too. You can ask youtube how tough theses copyright agents guys are Winking.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Something to keep in mind for "theme songs" January 21, 2018 11:16AM
So....a DJ that plays for a crowd of 5,000 that pays a cover charge is infringing a copyright also? Just fleshing this out, I'm all about protecting intellectual property of course.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Something to keep in mind for "theme songs" January 21, 2018 12:23PM
Bryan Lively
So....a DJ that plays for a crowd of 5,000 that pays a cover charge is infringing a copyright also? Just fleshing this out, I'm all about protecting intellectual property of course.

Great question. I've never thought much about djs, but from what sources I've seen from a brief internet search, the club would need to get the appropriate permissions, not the individual dj. ASCAP and BMI are the two main entities in the U.S. I am not an attorney, but at the very least be aware that depending on situation, there may be hoops to jump through.

Re: Something to keep in mind for "theme songs" January 21, 2018 12:35PM
You buy a CD you just bought the rights to play it anytime and anywhere you want

Re: Something to keep in mind for "theme songs" January 21, 2018 02:07PM
That's not exactly true. Buying a CD doesn't give you unlimited rights to the copyrighted material. Most often you are granted individual private use and nothing more. If you look back at the election last year there were more than a few issues with then Candidate Trump walking out to various artist songs. Most of the artists denied him the right walk out to their songs.

I'm no legal scholar but I believe a DJ playing a song is no different than a radio station playing a song because it's being broadcast without reference to anything other than the song (it's not intrinsically linked to any entity, organization, or individual) A song in a Youtube video or a Theme Song/Walk Out Song is being linked to either the video or the individual that is walking out to the song. Which could be misconstrued by the audience as an endorsement by the artist of that video or individual. I'm fairly sure it's all about any implied endorsement or implied linking of the entity using the song to the artist.

Re: Something to keep in mind for "theme songs" January 21, 2018 03:08PM
interesting conversation but maybe the question to copyrights and legality could be solved by asking doug Roberts or whoever runs the nfms because that Lee Greenwood song that was or is played at the beginning of each session is also most likely copy wrote and paid for am I on the right track on this or am I way off because I am no expert at all in the music industry lawyers etc etc

Re: Something to keep in mind for "theme songs" January 31, 2018 11:23PM
I was curious and asked a professor of mine who is a lawyer in the music industry and this is what I found out. "Walk-up music" would qualify as copyright infringement as it does constitute a public performance. It would be the promoter's responsibility to acquire a blanket public performance license from ASCAP and BMI (both in order to play it safe). Certain venues may already have this in place such as Freedom Hall in Louisville or the Kemper Arena in Kansas City. If they play any music over the PA system a license must be acquired. It is allowed though for the sanctioning body (if it is there idea to play the "walk-up music") to help pay for the license. One example would be the WWE (as a sanctioning body) who tours throughout the country in venues that normally already have the blanket licenses. It would not be uncommon for the promoter to ask for money to help cover the costs. A public performance license is much cheaper than a synch license or master use license. The prices for the licenses would vary in cost depending on the situation and I would not be surprised if ASCAP and BMI would offer the licenses at a lower price if used only for a 1, 2, 3, or 4 day event. There is however a loophole that some could use to constitute fair use and not have to pay for a license. This applies to any non-profit agricultural fair or exhibition such as a non--profit 4-H fair or a non-profit ag expo.

Re: Something to keep in mind for "theme songs" January 31, 2018 11:38PM
Just strap some speakers to the sides of the tractors, this way the venue isnt playing the music, the tractor is. Problem Solved!

Re: Something to keep in mind for "theme songs" January 31, 2018 11:52PM
You know it! As long as it isn't tarp straps or bungee chords of course.

Re: The many ideas to grow pulling February 08, 2018 11:35AM
I have read a few of these suggestions in this post.There a lot of little things that could make a pull more enjoyable and keep the fans attention.One is a GOOD announcer.One that knows the pullers.Knows the stats,basically knows whats going on in each class.Between hooks,the announcer can keep folks attention by talking points standings and who has to do what to move up in the standings etc.Talking about each pullers background in the sport.Doing it with enthusiasm.(good bullshitter) Between classes at our local pull we have a Kiddy Pedal Tractor race.They hand out trophies to the kids.There is very good fan participation in this.It includes the kids too.Makes it a Family event.It only costs some trophies for the kids.Happy kids,happy parents.Win,Win.
Another thing is to have a well synchronized track grooming crew so the time between hooks can be shortened.The quicker they can get their job done the les time for fan boredom to set in.You know your track groomers are doing their job when you see the track is ready before the next puller has made it out and hook to the sled.If your announcer isn't talking about something that keeps the fans attention between hooks,its time for a new announcer.A lull between hooks for breakage etc can also be filled with a sponsor tossing out T shirts,hats or whatever to the fans.(T shirt launcher) The main thing is to keep the fans ENGAGED! Once they are bored or tired,they will leave and may not come back.
Another thing we are doing this year is to make our rules compatible with other groups in our region.That way pullers from other areas can come and pull at our event when they don't have anywhere in their area to hook at.This keeps Pullers involved too.Not many Pullers want to make the expensive investment if they can only pull a couple times a year.They too get bored and lose interest.Keep the competitiveness in pulling.Keep the Red/Green/Blue Orange thing going.Bragging rights is part of the fun! If yall want to go to a good old fashioned pull with a family/country twist to it,check out Liberty Truck and Tractor Pull permanent facility in White Plains,Ga.William,the announcer will have you rolling on the ground laughing yer butt off. They are on Facebook too

Re: The many ideas to grow pulling February 18, 2018 04:54AM
One thing I have seen so many times that would help to keep things moving is to have a loud speaker system that can be heard in the pit area. Many a time I and others are running back and forth to the posted pulling list and checking who's on the track as to find out where they are in the pulling order because the announcer can't be heard back at the trailers.

Re: The many ideas to grow pulling February 18, 2018 01:11PM
Agree with 3010JD, especially when you are 75 years old and hard hearing. MACK

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,643, Posts: 229,709, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520