Weighing a tractor March 02, 2018 10:41PM
Is it better to weigh the tractor up to weight or way less and run a higher gear? Thanks

Re: Weighing a tractor March 03, 2018 06:08AM
I have seen some pullers over the years go to the extreme of trying to get within 5 lbs of the class weight and some that could care less if they were 100 lbs light of the class weight. My feeling has always been to loose enough weight to be able to run a faster gear would be a bad tradeoff. We once tried to run a RN Mod class about 1000 lbs light because we just didn't have enouh places to add weights...it didn't work at all. On the other hand several times back when we ran econo mod tractors we would run 100 lbs or so light in a 5200 lbs class for one reason or another and it never seemed to affect the results a bit.

S'no Farmer

Re: Weighing a tractor March 03, 2018 12:33PM
Thanks

Re: Weighing a tractor March 04, 2018 01:16AM
moo, it greatly depends on the wt of the class and the horse available to all the competitors, the lighter class that I pulled in the wt makes a distinct difference and the heavier you go the less it changes the tractor. Todd spoke of the mod class so we will use that 1000 really cause havoc but if you are within 400 I don't think it would alter the results as much because of the percentage less compared to the overall wt. if the class is 7500 and you weigh 7200 it is less sure but the percentage is different compared to say a 4500 and you weigh in at 4000. I can keep going it just doesn't seem to be the biggest issue the heavier the class.

Re: Weighing a tractor March 04, 2018 03:04AM
I agree, it is more dependent on the percentage than the actual lbs Involved.

S'no Farmer

Re: Weighing a tractor March 04, 2018 04:11PM
Don’t some or most organizations require you to be within 1000 lbs of the weight class? I’d say that a ton depends on the sled and track. If miles per hour and ground speed with either an extra gear or a couple hundred rpm matter when a pan drops and the sled hits fast VS getting heavy starting sleds moving out of the hole and hooking to the track to lug the last few feet at the end of a run are situational. There is no exact science, tires, pressure, hitch, gear, and balance at any weight for your setup probably beats much more importance than being within a few hundred lbs.

Re: Weighing a tractor March 04, 2018 03:45AM
Depends on the weight of the class, four or five hundred pounds should not be enough difference for the gear to make a big difference. On the the other hand say your pulling 10000 pound class or 10500 and everyone else is running 1000 or 1500 pounds less than you.i would always take the weight as long as you can run the same gear as you would if you where pulling at there weight.

Re: Weighing a tractor March 04, 2018 04:27AM
there is a fine line when it comes into effect,like air pressure,hitch height,none of it matters til the threshold is reached for any factor to go one way or the other, that is why we do this because much success is do to calculated guesses.Educated luck choices,some times spot on,sometimes not so much.I had a pulloff at 12000 # was lite 250 the first time out,in the repull I added that and pulled twenty five feet more than the other guy,did it matter,maybe just the line I took the second time,will never know.Every hook on every track is different,so no set scale to use,best judgement for the moment.Some change too much and ruin the chances of winning,-- some don't change much and surely miss some potential results that might have been better.I hook a lot and try hard to do my best and have learned to not beat myself up when not on the podium,but also humility is a part of growing,maturing and sportsmanship.I f the weather is nice,the track crew does a fair job,my unit does ok and drives on the trailer,and we can bs with some fun people ,--I call it a good day.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,717, Posts: 229,825, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,961.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro