Draw through carb and turbo March 08, 2018 01:32PM
Ok I’m kind of new to this but I’m wanting to put a small turbo on my 303 John Deere engine with a four barrel carb. My question is does any special work need to be done to the carb to put it before the turbo and plumb it into the intake side of the charger or does any special work need to be done to the turbo to stand the fuel pulling through it? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Re: Draw through carb and turbo March 08, 2018 02:45PM
Just have big enough jets and fuel pump.

Re: Draw through carb and turbo March 09, 2018 08:22AM
Make sure the turbo has a carbon seal on the compressor end of the shaft. If it uses a piston ring seal on the compressor end, it will suck oil out of the charger when the butterflies shut in the carb.

Re: Draw through carb and turbo March 09, 2018 01:33PM
Have run a 4LE, GT42 for years with no problems. MACK

Re: Draw through carb and turbo March 10, 2018 10:45AM
Been running this setup for 11 years.....have never had said issue with turbo seals. No special turbo required.

Re: Draw through carb and turbo March 11, 2018 06:31AM
Everybody on gas ran that setup back in the 70s & 80s corse we didnt know anything

Re: Anybody using blow-thru setup March 11, 2018 09:24AM
How much boost can you run on a blow thru setup? I was thinking of using a carb from C&S carbs in St. Charles, Missouri.
Can you build a single carb gasser at 360 cubes. to run against diesel at 6400 lbs. and 410 cubic inch with 3in 4out single charger?
Would this be a reliable setup?
How much boost, RPMs, do any of you guys run in a draw thru or blow thru setup run?

Re: Anybody using blow-thru setup March 11, 2018 10:22AM
I use to run this back in the 80s on a wd45 allis, mine wouldnt run with a 4 barrel had to have a 2 barrel, also you will want to lower your compression, you'll want an intercooler if your gonna run gas, i made about 50lbs of boost an ran about 4500 rpms.

Re: Anybody using blow-thru setup March 11, 2018 12:17PM
Airplains has some nice single barrel blow through carbs on there turbo engines the early models went to the intake side and had the gas fuel injection which i used abun on a alcohol tractor once you can buy most of that stuff cheap when taken out of service

Re: Anybody using blow-thru setup March 11, 2018 02:36PM
On a blow through carburetor, you have to have more fuel pressure than boost pressure.
No, a gas setup won't run with a diesel today. Back in 70s and 80s they would. MACK

Re: Anybody using blow-thru setup March 11, 2018 10:49PM
I beg to differ on the gas won't run with diesel comment.......there are a couple of turbo gassers in our club that run on par with diesel. Mine is the archaic draw through system. Limited turbo and cubic inch for both, but great competition. Like everything, if you refine and tune your setup for long enough, you figure it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2018 10:50PM by FarmersFun.

Re: Anybody using blow-thru setup March 12, 2018 01:32PM
Farmers Play, are you competitive with diesels in your club?
Do you run water injection or intercooler?
What weight and cubic inches do you run?

Re: Anybody using blow-thru setup March 12, 2018 11:08PM
Yes, we are competitive with the diesel tractors in our class at this time. It is a small class (typically 4-5 pullers), and has 360 based IH diesel and Ford 401 diesel. At this time, anybody can win the class on any given night, and we are keeping it that way. I do run with another club that has a variation of LLSS rules. Similar ci limits, they have alcohol and diesel with no real turbo limits and I am reasonably competitive there. Having the most HP does not always win, I am proof of that.

I do run a water injection setup (just an electric Snow Performance kit), but do not have intercooler.

Class is a 410 ci limit, 2.5" turbo. Diesels have P Pump, gas has 1 carburetor any size or mechanical fuel injection. We pull at 6500 and then a second class at 7000.

While my setup is the old school draw through, it is very predictable, and is a very low maintenance unit. That being said there are challenges for sure, and certainly limits to its abilities. It's not for everyone, but I've been working with the same basic setup for over 10 years, and it has been fun to run.

Many people laughed at us when we first started out, basically said good luck being competitve.......I haven't heard from those people much since the first year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2018 11:09PM by FarmersFun.

Re: Anybody using blow-thru setup March 13, 2018 02:43AM
Where could I find a video of your tractor Farmers Fun??

Re: Anybody using blow-thru setup March 13, 2018 05:19AM
Here is a link to youtube, which I haven't added to or updated in 4 years basically. There have been improvements since these were taken, and it's on 24.5 tires now, but it's pretty representative.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Anybody using blow-thru setup March 13, 2018 07:16AM
Thanks for the link. I remember that 560 gassier with turbo would kick butt on the lite diesel super stocks in the early 70'ies. Have a great summer pulling

Re: Anybody using blow-thru setup March 13, 2018 09:59AM
Thanks! Hoping for another fun year.

If I find the time, I will post some recent runs.

Re: Anybody using blow-thru setup March 13, 2018 08:51AM
Nice ride needs to more tractors like that

Re: Anybody using blow-thru setup March 13, 2018 03:13AM
Are you using a 4020 gas block and head?

Re: Anybody using blow-thru setup March 13, 2018 09:24AM
Scott & Junior Whitworth ran a pair for Cockshutt 570's with 340 Hercules that had blow thru carburetors on them, about 10 years ago. They would run with any diesel in the class.

Re: Anybody using blow-thru setup March 13, 2018 01:42PM
Farmer's Play, what groups do you pull with?

Re: Anybody using blow-thru setup March 13, 2018 10:47PM
SWOTPA (Southwestern Ontario Tractor Pullers Association) predominantly, OTTPA (Ontario Truck & Tractor Pullers Association) when time permits. Both associations are in Canada.

Re: Anybody using blow-thru setup March 14, 2018 04:19AM
I bet you can't run with the light profield class that the MSTPA out of Missouri have. There are two gas tractors running open rpm and are lucky to come within 40 feet of leaders.

Re: Anybody using blow-thru setup March 14, 2018 12:21PM
Ya, I'm not really trying to get into a pi$$ing match with anyone on here, and hadn't really planned to take a 12-14 hour drive to MO anytime soon.....lol!

What exactly would the rules be for that class out of curiosity? And what are the gas tractors that are running there?

Re: Anybody using blow-thru setup March 15, 2018 06:56AM
He is referring to the class that runs a 361 limit. There are 2 dt360 and 3 12v 5.9s with p pumps and intercoolers at 3000rpm, the gas tractors are running 4 barrels on ih c301 unlimited rpm.

Re: Anybody using blow-thru setup Thanks for all info March 15, 2018 01:45PM
Sorry Farmers Fun, I wrote your name wrong twice. Thanks for the info. Are you limited on RPM? How many do you turn?

Re: Anybody using blow-thru setup Thanks for all info March 15, 2018 11:21PM
No rpm limit. Mine's not a screamer, usually see somewhere around 4600-4800 on launch. Depending on track type it's about 3800-4400 down track. This engine likes to lug a fair bit.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,697, Posts: 229,796, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member CBeard