Lets hear about your pulling history fan or puller. April 07, 2018 07:38AM
What got you interested in pulling ? What class did you start in or interested you the most ? What class would you like to pull in if money etc. wasn't a problem ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2018 02:30PM by jd43.

Re: Lets hear about your pulling history fan or puller. April 08, 2018 02:11AM
My first exposure to pulling was at a county fair,we were showing horses but there was a tractor pull going on across the fairgrounds. I spent a lot of time watching the pulling that day. I've always loved tractors as well as lots of noise and HP so it all just really interested me. The first class that I really wanted to pull in was the Lt. SS class but I knew early on that I would not have the patience to get one of those running properly.

I started with the only thing I could afford,a bone stock farm stock Oliver 88. Then when my kids and a house came along the pulling stopped for about 8 years. When I got back into it I wanted something that I thought I could get parts and help easier so went with the econo mod tractors. We did that for about 15 years until we could afford to step up the the mod classes that made the big noise and HP.

I suppose if money were no object I would still run where I am but just be more competitive.

We have been blessed to be able to do what we do for so many years,my wife and I both drive mod tractors at the GN and RN level and wouldn't change a thing.

S'no Farmer

Re: Lets hear about your pulling history fan or puller. April 08, 2018 10:35AM
Dad started taking me when I was 3 or 4 to pulls and I'm going on my 18th year as NTPA Tech official in Michigan

Re: Lets hear about your pulling history fan or puller. July 12, 2018 04:16AM
My first tractor pull was in a small town in east nc called pine tops. (When I was 3) I had all ways loved tractors so naturally tractor pulling was one of my favorite pastimes. My granddaddy I is a farmer and I would always love to ride on the tractor. My granddaddy is Royce Bone and he started pulling in the 1970s with a 560 IH with a 302 Called yam-bone then he got a 666 with a 360 diesel called wishbone. This is how I have become a HUGE tractor pulling fan!

Re: Lets hear about your pulling history fan or puller. April 08, 2018 11:53AM
I was hooked at age 13. Took my dad's 4430 to local blacktop pull and got 3rd place. ( only 3 tractors in class). 3 years later they quite having the local pull and I stepped away for many years. 25 or so. Then I started pulling s 4010 in stock class and built it better after couple years. Now I play with 4 pullers in different classes and have tons of fun. I build them mineself. Now my local town has brought pulling back and i take everything off the farm if i can . I pull all the time now and support all the local bush pulls to help the community.

Re: Lets hear about your pulling history fan or puller. April 08, 2018 02:03PM
My dad got me started dragging me around to 3 or 4 of the local county fairs every year pulling the farm stock classes .My first pull was at age 12 pulling our Old Farmal M we used to cultivate and pick corn with which i won that very first pull with and the next five years straight a few years later Dad gave me the old tractor thats when it became a 100 horse puller in the Modified stock class we had .I never won a first place with the old M in that class but it was a crowd pleaser always close but no cigar,From there I went to the 570 Cockshutts the first one was the Canadian Outlaw Which i done a lot of wining with in the Mod stock class and some in the 5500 SS class it was a blast here in ky because very few people had ever seen one,From there it was helping get the LLSS class started making the first hook with the Rooster Cruiser 570 Cockshutt thats been my favorite class and always will

Re: Lets hear about your pulling history fan or puller. April 08, 2018 06:38PM
I began running around with my dad helping turn wrenches on the Hillbilly Hemi super mod 4x4, then the hustling hobo sm4x4. Then we acquired our first truck Rebels Pride and began competing in the mini truck class where me and my dad for a while ran 2 trucks mine being the Midnight Shaker. We took a brake from pulling but we now own and share driving duties in the Under Pressure LLSS

Re: Lets hear about your pulling history fan or puller. April 09, 2018 04:41AM
My first experience was in the late 70's/early 80's watching it at Rupp Arena in Lexington KY. It is amazing how much things have changed since then.

Re: Lets hear about your pulling history fan or puller. April 09, 2018 07:29AM
I think the first pull was in the early 60s and it was a blacktop pull with walking speed limit and people got on the moving skid.The county fairs started having them and the bragging rights to first place lasted the whole year.We would have close to 30+ tractors in every class.Stan Burton was one of the first to build a mechanical sled I want to say it was called Mule Skinner but might be wrong.About the mid 60s the Chevy powered hotrods and tractors with extra horsepower approaching 250+ became common and it grew by leaps and bounds to where we are at today with over 3500H.P+. and component tractors with 5 blown hemis.My favorites are the mini rods but love them all from stock diesel pickups to the semis.Money was never the reason to pull and still isn't as the costs to return will never be there but it is still fun to watch but a ticket to watch is the cheapest part.As in any motorsport you cant keep people with money from spending it and it was just more fun when your neighbors pulled too and everyone just had fun.I think that's one reason the stock diesel pick ups are popular as you can drive it there and hopefully drive it home and the younger crowd relates to them more than tractors.I have been involved in all types of motorsports from Go karts to Woo sprint cars and not one form of racing was ever profitable but the memories are priceless I am 70+ years old and just got an Outlaw Mini Modified to race at a track close by and still enjoy pulling my diesel pickup at local events and win or lose it is still fun to me.

Re: Lets hear about your pulling history fan or puller. April 11, 2018 07:09AM
Started out really young, I can remember going to county fairs and my dad pulling the 806, I was maybe 8-9 years old?

Then they got into garden tractors and we had a Cub Cadet 122 running on alcohol and 50shot of Nitrous pulling on black top. All the other guys where playing with Nitro-methane and burning stuff up. Then we got a 656 on the farm and dropped a turbo on it so we would occasionally pull that at county fairs.

Then the garden tractor went away and he bought a 1066 and built a Pro-Stock back in 1982, he sold that in the early 90s to Rapps and its now known as One Bad Apple.

I'm waiting for the day I can finally get my own, its getting closer..........

red712

Re: Lets hear about your pulling history fan or puller. April 21, 2018 03:02PM
I attended pulls at local fairs from an early age. When I was fourteen I acquired an F250 4X4 truck, and took to a local fair for my first pull. I finished last place, but had a blast and was bitten by the pulling bug. When I turned 17 I took our farm-all super M that was my dads, and began pulling tractors. Throughout the years I have ran from stock trucks to modified 642 cubic inch modified, and tractors from stock farm-all super M through a modified tractor. Took a break, for some years to go dirt track racing, after a sever accident and getting married I hung up the helmet on the race car and demo derbies. My wife and I bought a super stock 540 cubic inch modified truck to pull. We have also got a cub cadet garden tractor for our daughters. Taking a break from the truck right now, have become a crew member on a double engine mod that we are currently converting to a triple engine mod. My oldest daughter graduates this year, hope to find a stock truck and turn her into a second generation puller shortly. God bless all pullers, fans, and stay safe.

Re: Lets hear about your pulling history fan or puller. July 14, 2018 08:20PM
I started out in the mid 70's with my dad at the age of 14. My dad was the local Massey dealer in the E-town Ky. area and he bought the a sled and I became hooked. We built a 180 Massey that would turn between 4500 and 5000 rpm's. We helped many customers in the area build a 275, a 1155, a 1130 and a 44 MH. The first one I was able to pull when I turned 16 was a 175. We eventually sold the sled and I pulled our 180 on my own until the economy took an effect on the dealership and my dad sold it. That ended my pulling, but I never forgot the thrill and the rush. Fast Forward 40 years and I'm hoping to light that flame again. I'm retired, kids are grown and dreaming of a 1155 farm stock, but I'm starting from scratch so it's baby steps. The Kentuckian use to pull my dad's sled and it was just a single engine. It was still a good looking modified even then.

Re: Lets hear about your pulling history fan or puller. July 14, 2018 11:54PM
Massey-Man, would love to see some pictures of the masseys that you had growing up, if you could post some it would be appreciated.Thanks and good luck on the build-- aka 1155.

Re: Lets hear about your pulling history fan or puller. July 16, 2018 01:11PM
This sight says my picture is too large. Send me an email: colegarlon@yahoo.com. Regretfully the only picture I have is of my 180.

Re: Lets hear about your pulling history fan or puller. July 16, 2018 04:06PM
Was probably about 7 when I went to my first pull. I still remember the 2 MM UB’s hooked in tandem, then a guy showed up with 3 hooked together. This was back in the chair man days. Still remember the first mechanical sled I ever saw, built by Wayne and Glenn Orr and Claudie Woodworth, IIRC. Had a bunch of IH suitcase weights mounted on a track that moved them forward as you pulled it.
I made my first pass 50 years ago this summer on the neighbor’s M-5 Minnie, my brother pulled our 806 the same night. We both still pull around our local area.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,697, Posts: 229,795, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,949.

Our newest member CBeard