SPRING PLANTING April 10, 2018 02:07AM
Wondered what the progress is around the midwest? Here in Indiana it is still wet and cold although it is supposed to get into the 70's this week. We have done nothing everything still in the shed heck had a dusting of snow last weekend. Hoping to get on the ground to put some burndown chemical on late this week. Woke up this morning to feed hogs and it was a balmy 34 degrees. Just doesn't want to warm up my natural gas company has loved me this year.

Re: SPRING PLANTING April 10, 2018 02:38AM
Considering parts of Wisconsin is supposed to be getting 3-5 inches of snow Saturday and 5-8 on Sunday, not too well. Plus not all the snow has even melted in the northern half of the state.

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Re: SPRING PLANTING April 10, 2018 07:54AM
Theres areas North of Hwy 29 in Wisconsin that have 30 inches of ice on the lakes yet, and yes they are calling for up to 12+ inches of snow North of Wausau.

We'll be lucky to see land work in Northeastern Wis start by Mothers Day weekend.

red712

Re: SPRING PLANTING April 10, 2018 07:59AM
been too many record crops in the last few yrs,-- not so this season,given up 20 - 30 percent of potential already.

Re: SPRING PLANTING April 11, 2018 12:31AM
Here in central IL. we have had snow the last couple of weekends. We still need several days of sunshine and warm temps to even think about scratching any ground. Forecast for weekend is more rain and cold here. l

Re: SPRING PLANTING April 11, 2018 12:47AM
After a mild winter the last month has produced at least 10 in of snow with some rain preceding so its a mess.Nothing has been done and even with good temps predicted for next couple days there is cold and snow predicted for this weekend.The good part is when it gets fit it goes fast with the equiptment we have today.No worries as it doesn't make much difference if we plant April 10th or May 10th as it seems to not make much difference.in our area.

Re: SPRING PLANTING April 11, 2018 01:02AM
Not a thing done here in NE Ohio. My start spreading some fertilizer early next week but only if the rain holds off. Calling for 75 and 2 inches of rain this weekend. Not looking good!

Re: SPRING PLANTING April 11, 2018 01:08AM
Nothing done here in Northwest Iowa and talk of 5 to 9 inches of snow this coming Saturday and Sunday....ughhhh

Re: SPRING PLANTING April 11, 2018 08:44AM
LOOKING AT NEARLY ALL PLANTING DATE DATA,EARLY PLANTING IS BY FAR THE BEST FOR POTENTIAL AND ALSO FOR REALIZED YIELDS,of course date is only one factor to consider,weather after is a big yield maker,but most records for years now show a significant advantage to early,(fit feilds)planting dates.Years with not many growing degree days early the early planting dates don't mean much,however30 days,late planting in the upper Midwest is a yield robber.As you can see,reports from all over say cold,wet,with more moisture on the way.Prices may rally with delayed planting by May 10th.AND THE SAD THING IS NOT MANY PULLS THIS TIME OF SEASON, and wet tracks are no fun either.

Re: SPRING PLANTING April 11, 2018 01:51PM
I knocked some ends down about 3 weeks ago in preparation to put pre plant herbicide on. Some NH3 went on at the same time in my area. It was dry and worked like a garden. After that we had 3 inches of rain and about 6 inches of snow. So nothing has been done since. I might try to put some Acuron on tomorrow late depending on wind. It's not really late here, but yet every year is not perfect and this will be one of them. And for grain farming in general, it might be the best thing that ever happened.

Re: SPRING PLANTING May 03, 2018 12:50AM
We got in the field last weekend been running hard putting anhydrous down and we got about 100 acres of corn planted working nice now. Rain on the way today through Friday so that will bring things to a halt.

Re: SPRING PLANTING April 11, 2018 11:41AM
Next to nothing done in TN. Still too wet and more rain and cool weather expected for the weekend. Likely a week and a half away at best still. A lot of guys around here will be in the field by the end of March if weather permits.

Re: SPRING PLANTING April 12, 2018 01:05PM
Everybody in this part of Iowa been working most of this week doing anhydrous, but supposed to snow this weekend.

Re: SPRING PLANTING April 13, 2018 01:38PM
South Central Iowa very dry but ground temp only 41 at 4 inches. 2 neighbors put corn in today good luck to them lol.

Re: SPRING PLANTING April 14, 2018 12:26AM
I live about 1 hour north of St. Louis Mo. I also had 2 neighbors put corn today, also had 2 farmers plant beans today,good luck to them.

Re: SPRING PLANTING April 14, 2018 02:29AM
very likely beans will be a huge failure,they need warm,which we ain't gott. even corn is questionable with no heat units.Faith !!!!!!!!!!

Re: SPRING PLANTING April 14, 2018 11:15AM
3in rain and 4in snow plus high winds in North Central Iowa last night and temps in the 20s at night so another week or more before we can do anything.Last year we planted corn on April 10th.

Re: SPRING PLANTING April 15, 2018 12:22PM
Well back in the first part of March we had a couple nice days here in Ohio. There was one guy who planted, yes planted 7 acres of soybeans. I have no idea why except someone said the were a new variety of bean, that's treated to prevent rot. I heard this from several people that this did happen....

Re: SPRING PLANTING April 16, 2018 01:16PM
3" of rain here in North East Ohio Saturday thru Sunday. Cold all this week. Will be the 1st part of May before corn or beans will go in around here. And for the idiot that planted beans in Ohio in March....maybe you should find another career where you don't have to think too hard. LOL

Re: SPRING PLANTING April 16, 2018 02:34PM
prostockpuller,I said the same as you,but tried to be a little more kind, his problem,my next door farmer want to be did that one yr. planted beans first,early,came up,grew to 10 inches,then stopped,planted in more,-- were shaded by old higher bean plants,no growth to speak of,-- no yield to speak of. oh well,might be the year to fear.

Re: SPRING PLANTING May 02, 2018 12:56PM
Planters are finally rolling in Northeast Ohio. How is everyone else doing?

Re: SPRING PLANTING May 03, 2018 04:04AM
South Central Wisconsin: some corn in Sunday and Monday, rain put a stop to it though.

Re: SPRING PLANTING May 03, 2018 11:50PM
I live 1 hour north of St. Louis Mo. 80-90 precent of corn got planted last week before rain hit, 30-40- precent of beans got planted.I've been hearing anything planted before Friday the 13th. will get replanted.

Re: SPRING PLANTING May 06, 2018 12:08AM
20% planted 4 in rain last week be later this week on well tiled ground.Was near perfect after 3 days of 20MPH south winds north of us not much going on south of us probably 50% +planted.The late snows made a mess.

Re: SPRING PLANTING May 06, 2018 06:55AM
NC Indiana, finally, got off to a really nice start last weekend & especially on past Mon & Tues. But Wed night, we received our annual early May pounding compacting rain. Rain gauge caught 2.0" with wind cruising up to 75 mph with beebee gun size hail, the soil felt like it was a 3" plus rain and all the quickly formed field ponds seemed to verify such.

As I watched the storm with hail through a window, a golf ball size hail stone dropped to ground about 30' in front of me in the grass. I wanted to make certain, it was a hail stone but with the storm raging, no way was I going out. Our really nice sunny and very warm Spring day (yes, Spring finally arrived) allowed that apparent hailstorm to quickly melt.

Today, Sunday, some field ponds still exist. A steady breeze and now sun is starting to show a little surface drying. Looks like really need another three days. Bet a lot will not wait. Our heat units, what few exist, are currently on the long term average. Old timers tell me this is a normal or even still early planting date. Overall, the 1997 through 2012 early planting seasons spoiled us, thinking we should be done planting by now, rather than starting.

Please remain patient and respectful despite the stress and utmostly, stay safe!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,954, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,037.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009