The floating pull-off? July 09, 2018 04:21AM
Why not go to a floating pull-off for some of the bigger pulls/classes? Take any classes with 20+ pullers and bring back the top 5 for a pull-off. 12-20 pullers and take the top 4. That way the guys at the end get a little cool down time and the fans get to see the "money" pulls at the end of the class. No minimum distance, just the longest pulls get to come back in the pull-off. Even the playing field a little for some of the bigger classes to deal with changing tracks, etc. I also think that the sport could change the way pull-offs work in general. A lot of people seem to think longer distances are the way to grow the sport. Well, then make the sled lighter for the pull-off and let them go farther. And before everyone gets on here harping about added time for pull-offs I'll say this: I'm not recommending this for all pulls, just the bigger ones where fans expect a good show and don't expect the thing to be over in two hours and it also takes longer for the track crew to maintain a floating finish track where everyone is going 330' as compared to 280' anyway. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Re: The floating pull-off? July 09, 2018 10:41AM
Just set the damned sled a little heavier so only several well tuned,well driven get past 300',we don't need longer pulls,no seating down there and come on,300 feet is pleny

Re: The floating pull-off? July 09, 2018 01:42PM
Grubby, if a vehicle very late in the first hook, makes the pull off, obviously it does not get much cool down time. One pass, regardless of distance and done.

Joey is right on. Time to get back to pulling rather than continuing to satisfy Bowling Green's "Race Tractors" theme. Some day, another big accident with these super long and super fast hooks will happen that will capture the attention of lots of people.

Re: The floating pull-off? July 09, 2018 01:50PM
Its not pulling any more on a 350 ft pull class a stock out of the field tractor can turtle the sled to 300

Re: The floating pull-off? July 09, 2018 02:52PM
Re-weighting the sled and 4 hooks is just as long as dropping down to 6th. I'm not advocating longer distances. I want 300' back. I don't get everyone wanting faster, shorter pulls though? Why does a pull have to be over by ten? If some people want to leave early, so be it. Some fans like to enjoy a weekend evening a little longer. And spend more money at the event since I'm there longer. I can only make 5 or 6 pulls a year, I'd just as soon see as much iron as possible while I'm there. NHRA events last all day. Doesn't seem to be a problem with that fan base.

Re: The floating pull-off? July 10, 2018 06:15AM
I went to the NHRA event in Norwalk, OH last month. Pro classes started at 11am sharp and we were on our way back to NY at 4:45pm. A far cry from events years ago that lasted way to long. NHRA realized this and made changes, ie- engine diapers, fines and points loss for oil downs, quicker turnaround times, etc.

Dan Mayer

www.pulling-reference.com
Dedicated to Preserving the History of Tractor & Truck Pulling

Re: The floating pull-off? July 10, 2018 07:09AM
That's my point. You spent almost 6 hours at an event and didn't leave early or complain about it. So why the big rush to get pulls done in 2-3 hours?

Re: The floating pull-off? July 10, 2018 09:59AM
Why done in 2-3 hours? Because tractor pulls should be a family event. If a pull would start on time, not have pull offs, and have a twenty minute intermission most pulls could be done in 3 hours easily.

Re: The floating pull-off? July 10, 2018 12:05PM
Agreed, if pulling doens't find a way to attract young fans then this motorsport is dead. Leaving early is great but what if my son and I go and he wants to see LLSS and they pull last at 1:00 AM? Most pulls should last 2-3 hours with really big events lasting 4 or so hours at most.

Speed up the time between hooks and give the fans more action per minute. I'd much rather see X number of hooks in two hours vs the same number of hooks in four hours. I watched my 3 year old son be bored as could be between hooks at an event last summer. He absolutely loves trucks and tractors but he could only watch scraper tractors so long until he just looked down at the bleachers and got bored. Show speed (Not sled speed) meant everything to him.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: The floating pull-off? July 10, 2018 03:11PM
Amen
I was at a pull in Gallipolis Ohio two weeks ago and the packer followed the sled back and didn’t spend 10 minutes packing the whole track when only the path of the tractor needed attention
It kept things going and the track was fine

Re: The floating pull-off? July 10, 2018 05:45PM
The local race track runs on Saturday nights. Show runs 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Never heard anyone say they wish it was shorter.

Re: The floating pull-off? July 10, 2018 10:26PM
You said it ! LOCAL...if the event is worth traveling to then time on the road matters. Love Langford and I'm going back
but always seem to miss a class I wanted to see. Why? Because it's run way too late and Monday is a workday. If something
always delays the show start planning for that delay. Planning a three hour show is a real good start. My .02 .

Re: The floating pull-off? July 11, 2018 02:13AM
Grubby
The local race track runs on Saturday nights. Show runs 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Never heard anyone say they wish it was shorter.
If your talking about a stock car race on Saturday night... well it's almost all action the entire time. They don't groom the track between every single lap. Your comparing apples to oranges.

Let's talk pulling... what if they ran that same show in 2 1/2 hours instead of 4? What if they packed the exact same amount of hooks in a shorter time span? Your action per minute would increase. That's one of the biggest factors for kids. You'd see the exact same amount of hooks, and maybe even more because I've seen shows run late and the competition director or promoter sets a heavy sled for the last class to guarantee they don't have a pulloff to keep the time reasonable. A winning distance of 270 for the last class can ruin an event. Ending a show with a pulloff between the top two or three tractors sends the fans home pumped up for the next truck & tractor pull.

Keep the action rolling as fast as possible or the next generation will find something else, because they have plenty of other options now days. It's the reason Monster Jam started as a side show to tractor pulling and now it has a much, much, much bigger fan base... Action Per Minute!

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: The floating pull-off? July 11, 2018 03:40AM
Most of the shows we put on , the promoter wants. a 2-3 hour show. The fairs want this so the people still have time to see and spend more money on food , rides for the kids. And as a puller I like this too because of the drive home and getting up for milking the next morning.

David Runkle class rep for Badger State LLSS class. 815-821-4686

Re: The floating pull-off? July 11, 2018 03:18AM
I value it on bang for the buck. If I'm going to Tomah and dropping $24, I expect more than 50 hooks. If I'm going local and dropping $10 or $12 then I expect less hooks. Its a pretty simple concept. When "Grand national" pulls only have 50 hooks, charge high dollar at the gate and then give the winner a lawn chair....yeah, I'm the problem. I just want to get what I pay for. Don't see the point in wasting my night for a two hour show. Pulling is what it is. There is going to be down time in between hooks. That's part of the sport. You all keep talking about the sport dying, yet there are more pulls now than there have ever been? It's not pulling fault that your kid doesn't like it. Not everyone does.

Re: The floating pull-off? July 11, 2018 03:57AM
I agree with Grubby on this point. I understand the different viewpoints but one missing word in this thread is PERSPECTIVE.

A county fair show starting at 7pm on a Wednesday should be done by 10, or at the very latest 10:30 if there are lots of entries.

A pull like Bowling Green, which is a stand-alone event on a weekend and you know going in there will be large classes, I'm ok if they run later.

That said, there is a difference between a 5 hour session that starts at 11 am and one starting at 7, mainly some people get very sleepy when the clock nears midnight, or would get drowsy depending on how long the drive home is. I support starting an evening session at 6 if there is good reason to expect large classes.

I agree with Jake about keeping the show moving. There is no reason why the signal to fire the next vehicle cannot be given the second the sled returns to the starting line.

One caveat that is specific to Bowling Green: I cannot stand when 2 vehicles leave the starting line at the same time. Don't have time to go into detail, but they really need an event manager to say in the flagman's headset "Track 1, green" etc. This is not contradictory to keeping the show moving, it just offsets one track 20 seconds while the other vehicle makes it's run. I love pulling and drag racing, but a pull is not a drag race.

Re: The floating pull-off? July 10, 2018 11:32PM
You are talking about shorter shows this week and last week it was low numbers and not getting your money's worth. I pull with PPL West and most of the time have 2 tracks but the occasions we have one track and there's 25llp and 25 4.1s there's your 3hr show. I don't have the answer to make everyone happy but if you're going to a pull plan on it starting at 7 and ending at 11on a good night and 12 on a bad one and if that doesn't work for you don't go to the pull and go the air conditioned theater. When you get on here and constantly complain about everything from promoters,time between hooks,track crew,and competitor numbers you're not putting butts in the seats instead keeping new fans away. Leave the bitching and complaining to the pullers we do enough for everybody.

Re: The floating pull-off? July 11, 2018 01:03AM
VERY WELL SAID!!!!

Thank you for calling a spade a spade. Some people get on here to complain for the sake of complaining. It get's pretty old after a while.

Thanks to technology we are creating a society of instant gratification......nobody has any patience for anything. Tolerance is in short supply unfortunately.

As far as the "getting your money's worth" thing.....If anything between $15-$25 is nearly breaking you, maybe there are some other things in your life that need some additional focus.

To the whiners/complainers:

How much gas/diesel does $25 buy you (and how far does that get you)? How much food does $25 buy you? What other live motorsport entertainment costs signifiicantly less than $25 (and provides more "value")? How do you arrive at a "value" figure for entertainment anyways?

Re: The floating pull-off? July 11, 2018 12:52PM
Agreed well said, to the original topic of the floating pull off. The unlimited class Saturday night had a absolutely perfect sled setting in my opinion for a floating finish. I just asoon not have a pull off at all and save these guys wear on their parts. A 320 sled setting can be done and whomever did it Saturday night........good job

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,748, Posts: 229,892, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,087, Posts: 225,995.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM