Engine Rebuild IH 806 Feedback September 26, 2018 01:22AM
Looking for the best place to get an overhaul kit for D361. Also was wondering if I have to have sleeves put in by machine shop. I have a friend who is a good old IH mechanic and he says it isn't necessary. It is a dry sleeve block. He says the best way to get them out is to take wet towels and cover the crank really good. Take a welder and run a bead on the inside of the sleeve to drawn them away from the block and they should lift right out. He says best way to put them back in is to use dry ice or a little mini freezer in the shop get them good and cold and they drop right in. Sounds like it will work but just don't want to be redoing anything.

Re: Engine Rebuild IH 806 Feedback September 26, 2018 05:08AM
If you are willing to spend the money to overhaul it properly then don't go the old mechanics route. Those engines tend to have cylinders that aren't round anymore and when you put the new sleeves in they will take the shape of the block but the new pistons will not. It will score the pistons and you will be overhauling it again.

Re: Engine Rebuild IH 806 Feedback September 26, 2018 08:28AM
Listen to the old mech or use a puller if you can find one , ive done 8 or 10 of 361 and 407 engines lots of perkins and m farmals over the years and never had a problem or you can give a machine shop 600 bucks he will boor the old sleeve thin enough that they come out easy grab a new one from the freezer press it straight in and go to the next

Re: Engine Rebuild IH 806 Feedback September 26, 2018 09:38AM
I have a DT361 I'm in the process of rebuilding. I don't agree with your "old mechanics" advice at all. The best way to do it is get a hold of the hydraulic pump & ram, and the tools to properly pull the old sleeves & press in the new sleeves. You also need the special installation plate so the new sleeves are pressed into the correct depth & the sleeves protrude from the deck of the block correctly. I was fortunate enough to borrow the ram & puller/installer tool from a friend of mine. I myself had the correct "puck" to pull the sleeves, and the correct plate to install the sleeves. You'll also want the bore of the block measured after pulling the sleeves, to verify what size sleeves you need. There's always a possibility that the block may need bored for oversized sleeves, or that it already had oversized sleeves from a previous overhaul years ago.

If you aren't able to borrow these tools from a friend, and your machine shop doesn't have them, find someone or a machine shop that does.

The only way to do these engines, in my book, is to overhaul them out of frame. The reason being, you need to have a machine shop bar hone the sleeves to fit the pistons AFTER you press them in. If not, the sleeves will end up with tight spots & minimal distortion that will end up scoring the new pistons/sleeves in very short order. Too many people try overhauling the 361/407 engines themselves & skip that crucial step, then find that they have to do it over again, or pay someone else to do it again for them.

Right now, I believe Reliance is the only outfit that offers pistons & sleeves for the 361 engines.

I've been inside the 361/407 engines & am comfortable in overhauling them, and am willing to share what I know, to keep them up & running for the next guy.

Re: Engine Rebuild IH 806 Feedback September 26, 2018 11:19AM
having rebuilt these engines for over 40 years, blackstack is correct, those blocks need to be bored, honed, to fit oversize sleeves. I have seen many guys try the farmall "m", way to rebuild these engines with little success.most will break and then you have real issues.the sleeves need to be installed with controlled pressure, not a bfh and flat plate, spend your money to do it correct, and they will run another 50 years,,

Re: Engine Rebuild IH 806 Feedback September 26, 2018 01:35PM
I apologize the7 361s and 4 407s i done was just luck the last ones only has 1700 hours on it running a tub grinder 7 days a week with a added hx 35 turbo from a cummins the others have 5000 pluss hours , also done a alcohol tractor the first and only one ever been done running 4 years now stock sleeves with Aries pistons and a junk crank that had a spun rod bearing turned down to use cummins rod bearings Hell i use a oak 2x4 to knock the sleeves in with a heavy hammer to keep them straight except i always use good parts they seem to fit better than that china stuff you guys have done scared the guy to death spend 5000 on a engine for a 5000 dollar tractor lol not saying you guys are wrong ,Im a dealer for Reliance if you cant find a kit close to home i can drop ship you one dont be scared to pull the oil pan off after reading all this its not the space shuttle

Re: Engine Rebuild IH 806 Feedback September 27, 2018 03:59AM
Hmmmm well I guess I will have a decision to make because before I would spend several thousand dollars on machine work I would put a d414 in it and call it a day. I am leaning toward having the head pressure checked, valves checked and ground, and put the kit in it. This tractor doesn't owe me anything. We have had the tractor about 40 years and only have put new set of pushrods in it and did bearings once.

Re: Engine Rebuild IH 806 Feedback September 27, 2018 07:45AM
I tried the weld old sleeves and freeze new ones years ago and got burned bad.
Sleeves were distorted and took out piston. Just got done with a 407 had the block bored to install oversized O.D.
For proper press fit, old liners were loose and broke flange off. Still had to rebore
New sleeves. It runs great and dynoed 240 hp. With a little pump and turbo help.
Not a cheap motor to rebuild, but extremely happy with it.
Guess it depends if you like to gamble, you take the “cheap” route and get lucky.
I got burned once, now take the safe road.
Good luck

Re: Engine Rebuild IH 806 Feedback September 28, 2018 01:24AM
The DT route is a good solution.

Re: Engine Rebuild IH 806 Feedback February 16, 2024 12:59PM
Where would someone find someone that could do this?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,674, Posts: 229,772, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,077, Posts: 225,945.

Our newest member Jason