IH DT 466 exhaust manifold welding October 23, 2018 01:28PM
I'm needing to weld up a DT 466 tractor exhaust manifold and am looking for other peoples ideas and opinions. I know I need to mount it to a cyl. head, but was interested in others welding methods and filler metals used. I've used 7018 with a stick welder and a mig welder with E70S before on other cast iron project with decent results, just preheated a little, made short welds at a time and peened afterwards. I've been told by others to use a nickel rod but have also heard horror stories about it cracking afterwards. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Re: IH DT 466 exhaust manifold welding October 23, 2018 02:14PM
It's not the nickel rod that causes the cracking. I recommend using the very short beads and peeing as you spoke of with the use of nickel rods. To properly weld with the preheat method, you would need to place in oven and preheat till cast is glowing red then remove from oven and weld. Then place back in oven to allow manifold to cool very slowly. After cooled, most likely you will have to have the manifold mating surface to be trued back up via machining or surface grinder. First tack weld the the manifold prior to removing from head in 3 or 4 equally spaced tacks to prevent 2 piece manifold from rotating. I'm guessing that you just want to weld where the 2 piece manifold connects together? Just fyi, most cracking in cast is caused by trying to make too long of weld bead on cast that is not properly preheated, then as the weld cools quickly, the cast will Crack right next to the weld. I've seen people say they could weld it then make a weld and say see it didn't crack, then go out and look at it after it cools completely and find out that it did indeed crack.
Best of luck! rw

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2018 02:37PM by RW IH 1568.

Re: IH DT 466 exhaust manifold welding October 24, 2018 04:39AM
If your just looking to weld the joint so it dont leak when pulling I wouldn't. Some one makes a clamp that is leak proof for pulling applications and it works really good

Re: IH DT 466 exhaust manifold welding October 24, 2018 06:18AM
Oliver with Cat 3208
If your just looking to weld the joint so it dont leak when pulling I wouldn't. Some one makes a clamp that is leak proof for pulling applications and it works really good

Where I can get one?

Re: IH DT 466 exhaust manifold welding October 24, 2018 03:14PM
Colberg has those clamps

Re: IH DT 466 exhaust manifold welding October 24, 2018 03:31PM
Thanks for helping me out and yes it is colberg that has them and I know of a couple manifolds that are welded up that have been warping during use and then they start to leak mid season and the need resurfaced. And with the clamps it shpull eliminate the warping.

Re: IH DT 466 exhaust manifold welding October 24, 2018 04:56AM
Honestly, I bolted mine up to an old head I had laying around, then welded it all the way around in one shot with a 7018 DC+ stick welder. I did not preheat it or anything. However, preheating is not a bad idea. I didn't need to resurface anything, and there were no cracks. It has been holding fine for quite a while now. You do not need maximum strength or penetration because the weld doesn't have to support anything. Just seal it up. Those clamps are a waste of money in my opinion considering how easy it is to do this.

Re: IH DT 466 exhaust manifold welding October 25, 2018 11:55PM
I used this high-temperature metallic repair putty. A little pricey, but it's pretty amazing stuff. Supposedly it's available under a Cat part number as well.

Fixmaster 2000 Putty

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,620, Posts: 229,676, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,065, Posts: 225,891.

Our newest member JD_8520