Coolers in 510 Hot Farm and 540 Light Pro October 31, 2018 06:08AM
Why are there no intercoolers allowed in two classes that beg for high rpm turbo parts to go flying through a motor? If nothing else it seems like allowing coolers just for that purpose would be a step in the right direction. Also, the longevity coolers bring to a motor would seem to dictate their ability to be used in these classes (especially given that the 540 Light Pros are getting so lean and hot that they're cracking pistons).

Was just curious.

Re: Coolers in 510 Hot Farm and 540 Light Pro November 01, 2018 02:01AM
No one has an opinion on here? I find that hard to believe.

Re: Coolers in 510 Hot Farm and 540 Light Pro November 01, 2018 03:11AM
I'm curious how an intercooler would solve a lean fuel condition? things that make you go hmmmm

Re: Coolers in 510 Hot Farm and 540 Light Pro November 01, 2018 04:06AM
All I see with coolers is another pain! Ice to carry, unecessary weight, pumps and plumbing.....who wants all that crap anyway?

Re: Coolers in 510 Hot Farm and 540 Light Pro November 02, 2018 06:27PM
Ice? If your using ice you are already behind. Pure glycol, goes well below freezing point and is still liquid, plus can be used over and over.

Re: Coolers in 510 Hot Farm and 540 Light Pro November 03, 2018 01:59AM
Please explain in some more detail, interested

Re: Coolers in 510 Hot Farm and 540 Light Pro November 03, 2018 08:45AM
Dry Ice in a Glycol bath. I helped a friend (Jason Hootman) run this setup on his LSS about 15 years ago. It was a White with a 5.9 Cummins in it, and I helped him make a bunch of changes that winter and adding an inner cooler was one of the many experiments. You'll need a good vent because as the dry ice sublimates the volume expands pretty quickly (it's gas volume is about 554 times larger compared to its volume as a solid). It still remember the first time we poured the dry ice into the cooler... we still laugh about it. It felt like a science experiment gone wrong with that pink glycol bubbling and fog rolling off the front of the tractor. We actually had to leave a few bolts out of the innercooler cover so it could vent better. It was whistling like a steam engine so we pulled the tractor out of the hauler and threw a bunch of moving blankets over the cooler. About 15 minutes later we noticed that there was snow on the ground under the front of the tractor on an 80 degree day. The tractor ran awesome but destroyed the clutch that pass, but it sure was a memorable day.

As for coolers in Hot Farm and Light Pro, I don't think they do much other than just add more expense to the class. Everyone will run out and buy them and then everyone will still be right back in the same finishing order. The sport needs to find ways to bring costs down, not add more expense.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2018 12:26AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Coolers in 510 Hot Farm and 540 Light Pro November 03, 2018 06:04AM
I agree with Ice. But the problem becomes super cooling the glycol in the system. It heats up very rapidly.

Re: Coolers in 510 Hot Farm and 540 Light Pro November 05, 2018 07:34AM
Leave the hotfarm class alone! It is a growing class with lots of color, why add another 3,500 to it. Everyone will go to it and changed nothing. Police the rules we have!

Re: Coolers in 510 Hot Farm and 540 Light Pro November 05, 2018 11:49AM
To keep 5000 dollar turbos from going through 45000 dollar motors.

Re: Coolers in 510 Hot Farm and 540 Light Pro November 06, 2018 05:15AM
Do you want the cooler to catch the turbo parts or do you contend that with a cooler behind it the turbo is less likely to come apart?

Re: Coolers in 510 Hot Farm and 540 Light Pro November 06, 2018 05:44AM
Deere Puller I’ll go with option A: turbo filter

Re: Coolers in 510 Hot Farm and 540 Light Pro November 06, 2018 11:12AM
Turbo filter

Re: Coolers in 510 Hot Farm and 540 Light Pro November 07, 2018 02:46AM
So why can't you accomplish that with a screen? Replacing coolers every time a turbo wheel grenades isn't going to be cheap either.

Re: Coolers in 510 Hot Farm and 540 Light Pro November 07, 2018 05:28AM
Any screen big enough to stop parts is going to be a hindrance to flow. Whether that's volume reduction or turbulence creation. A screen is also going to be a value subtraction in stead of a value addition.

Re: Coolers in 510 Hot Farm and 540 Light Pro November 01, 2018 04:39AM
Cooler air in and not as hot of a combustion chamber. Would it "solve" it, no. But it helps, like not being a prick...

Re: Coolers in 510 Hot Farm and 540 Light Pro November 01, 2018 05:26AM
would this increase in air density contribute to an even more lean condition, in turn causing higher cylinder temps? just a thought

Re: Coolers in 510 Hot Farm and 540 Light Pro November 01, 2018 05:30AM
In our experience more dense, yes, but also cooler and more efficient burn. Just what we've seen on the logger for PS.

Re: Coolers in 510 Hot Farm and 540 Light Pro November 01, 2018 05:48AM
I agree that you get a cooler more efficient burn with a cooler. Particularly if your injection pump isn't your limiting factor. The cooler would be more beneficial to the hot farms but would cause their rpm range to drop as their issue is they are air limited.

Re: Coolers in 510 Hot Farm and 540 Light Pro November 01, 2018 05:45AM
I think what he is trying to say that if your cracking pistons, you have problems already. your leaning your tractor out to far as it is now, either your builder is leaning it out to make more power and there fore it wont live, or there is something mechanically wrong. with that being said, yes intercooler engines make more power, but I have to agree that carrying ice and making sure your pumps are working, so on and so forth is a pain. its another expense to a class that is expensive enough and the crowd still doesn't know if you have 1400 or 4000 horse...

Re: Coolers in 510 Hot Farm and 540 Light Pro November 01, 2018 03:38PM
If you added a cooler the torque would go up and then billet rods would be a have to have part instead of a option part now.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,666, Posts: 229,747, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,074, Posts: 225,925.

Our newest member JD_8520