How much money does it it take?? November 18, 2018 02:51PM
So recently I’ve been putting together a BBJD I was gonna run in a local hot farm class our local organization which is mid south just got swapped to PPL and Superfarm voted for PPL rules allowing Intercooler which I had planned to run anyway just out of curiosity how much money does it take to run competitive in Superfarm I mean do I have to be 640 and run top notch turbos and be billet and run a profab or can I still be competitive running a good two speed and a 619 with average poor mans stuff

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 19, 2018 03:31AM
If you want to be competitive on a national scale with a BBJD. Plan on well north of 100k if you want the best of everything.

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 19, 2018 03:53AM
300k to do everything brand new no expensive spared

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 19, 2018 04:47AM
300k for a new SF? Thats a stretch

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 20, 2018 02:07PM
8000 for a roll cage, damn I’m in the wrong business. That guy has been into some bad eggnog already.

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 19, 2018 09:20AM
300K is stupid more than it’s a stretch you could build a lim pro for less than that easy
Best of everything for 100k I can believe but I was wanting to hear from some people that was competitive but didn’t have the best of the best surely something like that exsist

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 19, 2018 09:46AM
Well the list:

Tires and rims....13,000
Axils and hubs set up ...3500
Rear end set up....4000
6 speed or 5 speed trans with core ....15000
roll cage installed ...8000
hitch and bars installed....4500
clutch....6000
bell housing with heavy throw out...4000
frame and front wheels.....18000
engine.....80000
16 mm pump 18000
injectors...4500
lines.....1000
rest of fuel system ...7000
tanks...2000
oil system....3000
water injection....3500
steering...3000
front tires, shiney wheels 500
weights....3000
paint frames and parts....3000
paint sheat metal...5000
labor...1000 hours at 75 per
dyno...7000
basic mim....302,000 for your own brand new plow tractor........

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 19, 2018 10:18AM
300 Thousand WOW WHAT A LIST somebody just got molested

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 20, 2018 02:22AM
Lewis Conner
300 Thousand WOW WHAT A LIST somebody just got molested

I would agree with that..

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 19, 2018 03:48PM
that list is whack I'm getting a transmission built right now for 3100$ including the input shaft I know for a fact you can get frame rail air ride front end and tilt hood for 12,500 I seen the receipt so that also is stupid I also know you can get a 16mm pump for less that 14,000$ so yea I say your an idiot who hides behind a false name and spit out stupid list that isn't real and if it is real then you need to do some research next time instead of getting ripped off its almost like you want to scare new pullers off I'm trying to learn more about the sport from people that actually pull and don't hide behind the screen instead you want to jump on here and try to run people off or something

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 26, 2018 05:13PM
To Newguy you ask questions then you squall that the answers you got are crazy. From reading your posts, you act like you already know it all regarding the costs and how competitive any given part might be. Instead of being so demanding and boisterous, why not go ahead and build what you can afford to build and how and pull it and see for yourself what it will do against the big boys instead of blowing off on here stirring up the mess and making posts like people are nuts. If you knew so much about it as some of your posts indicate then why did you post in the first place?
Milford P.

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 19, 2018 09:58AM
$100K easy?? Fuel, water, turbo, manifolds, $30,000 for sure. Your going to build the rest with wheels and tires for $70,000? Competitive hot farm, or super farm motors cost close to $70,000 complete, ready to run. You can build yourself using all used stuff that guys no longer want and have some fun, but you will be 30 to 40 feet back, or more, but that is a way to go learn, then improve as you can. You just have to be ok being in the bottom 3 while you learn.

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 19, 2018 02:07PM
So as an outsider who isn't into organized pulling, wouldn't it make more sense to go to the 4.1 class instead of the Super Farm class? Seems like cost would be fairly equal? Is maintenance more on a 4.1? What is the advantages of SF over 4.1?

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 19, 2018 02:51PM
heck with 300 k I can buy a whole trailer full.

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 19, 2018 01:22PM
This is all too funny

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 19, 2018 01:31PM
To be on top like ntpa or ppl and build a brand new tractor with front suspension and to have it all painted and chromed up you will be around 300k and that's not counting what you put in it every year and then you would need a truck and trailer to hual it which is more money to add to it.

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 20, 2018 09:58AM
300K??? I think your list is off! If a SF cost that then what do you think a Pro cost??? Maybe you should call around, get some prices and come back with an updated list! Guess keyboard pullers need something to talk about this week!

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 20, 2018 10:57AM
A well know pro stock puller told me if you want a top of the line tractor for that class you'd need $350k.

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 19, 2018 01:37PM
In the past this class has been called by someone stupor farm now i can believe it

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 19, 2018 02:19PM
dude lewis you cant spell right half the time in your posts, heck 99 percent of the time your spelling is a joke, so who are you to call the class stupor farm? which I think you wanted to say" stupid farm" but were to DUMB to spell it correctly. craw back in your backwoods hole and shut up.

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 19, 2018 02:41PM
No i meant stuper farm just like i spelled it,But if you want to call a 300 thousand dollar one turbo tractor Stupid farm thats fine with me no prob there,Its been 40 years since ive had to take a spelling class so i have already forgot all of that ,But i have also already forgot more about tractors and tractor pulling than you will ever know hows that for spelling capitol and Dude remember always start your sentence with a capitol letter

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 20, 2018 12:44AM
Lewis, your thumbs down reputation is being tarnished here! You went from -2 rating last night to a +16! In no time flat. Yes I have to admit I did give you a thumbs up on that one! Thats some funny stuff right there! Take care my friend. rw

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2018 03:34AM by RW IH 1568.

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 20, 2018 01:37PM
Thanks,RW with the cost of some of the classes no wonder pulling is becoming a dead horse. And then the question gets ask on here how do we grow pulling ? What a joke to have a class that cost 300 thousand to build a tractor for and how stupid can anyone be to participate in such a class more money than brains if this was true to win 500 bucks pullers are killing the sport because of no common sense and not thinking theres no more innovation left

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 20, 2018 01:44PM
I have read these post and comments. I was estranged from tractor pulling from 1980 to about 2000. I have been blown away since reconnecting with the sport at the cost that is spent on these beautiful machines. I just can't figure out how anyone can afford to spend that kind of money.

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 20, 2018 02:26PM
You can build a super farm tractor that will compete on a national level for 125-140k. 300k is a joke, you can build a high end pro stock cheaper than that.

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 21, 2018 01:08AM
A motor alone is around 150k and then to build a frame and sheet metal like what ace chassis does is probably 100k then to paint it is alone 10k then to put tires on it you would probably be around 250k then every year someone comes out with a better turbo and pump and tires and fuel which just adds to it then if you don't have a truck and trailer and a buggy to drive around it just adds to it, over the years the parts have sky rocketed to upgrade and to find hp is going to cost you big bucks to and this was suppose to be the Poor's man class which is not anymore.

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 21, 2018 01:19AM
100 grand for a frame an sheetmetal, good god almighty, i know several that will build one every bit as nice for 15 to 20 grand and be glad to do it, and it'll be just as good of quality job too.

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 21, 2018 10:18AM
Is what you’re smoking legal stuff or did you buy it in an alley?

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 21, 2018 10:47AM
I raised it and its good too,i guarantee i can get it done, anyone that pays 100 grand for a frame an sheetmetal is the one smokin something from an alley and lots of it, enough to be out of their mind to pay that much.

Back to the point November 21, 2018 02:50PM
Now we’re getting somewhere 300k is crazy we all know that outside of a few fruitcakes he called me today btw to let me know his list is legit but anyway enough about that more about this knowledge I’m 26 and dying to get on the track maybe the question I asked wasn’t asked properly maybe what I was really wanting to know was there any people out there running the “cheap” stuff and still being somewhat competitive not saying 1st place every weekend just mean top 4 or 5 out of 8 pullers or even out of 10 pullers on a lucky night I just don’t want to build my “cheap” tractor and be dead last every weekend if I was gonna do that I’ll just stay hotfarm until I can afford limited pro sense in my opinion that’s the next popular class

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 21, 2018 01:23AM
A lot of it has to do with example “making a almost pro stock tractor for all the new hot Farm rules “ I’m not saying it’s cheap because it’s not Byrd there’s hardly no beginner or step up class for the average guy

Re: How much "knowledge" does it it take?? November 21, 2018 02:14AM
The proper question or answer is not being said here......"how much money does it take" or "how much horsepower does it take". When the real question to be asked is ...."how much knowledge does it take" What I mean by that is the knowledge to know what base to start with, the knowledge of where to source the parts for a fair price, the knowledge of what parts to buy (sometimes it's not always the most expensive biggest billet parts needed) the knowledge to install the parts "properly". The knowledge to weight and set up the tractor properly.......point of my statement is that the most expensive biggest parts producing the most horsepower dosent always put your tractor at 300ft. I seen the power of knowledge make some average parts a winning combo.

Re: How much "knowledge" does it it take?? November 21, 2018 04:44AM
Smokenjoe,-- I agree 10000 percent,love to beat the teams all dressed up,clean,no dirty hands,-- my seat of the pants so to speak feel for it gives me what I desire,very hard to "BUY " a win with no knowledge of usage.

Re: How much "knowledge" does it it take?? November 21, 2018 02:44PM
To be top notch and be in the top 5 about every pull you will be looking around 300k with all new parts and that's all dressed up but you can get a old rusted one and put spare parts that's around in the shop for probably around 150k but you will be in the lower spots but all you are doing is just having fun and money doesn't drive a tractor you have to figure the tractor out which takes time and patience

Re: How much "knowledge" does it it take?? November 21, 2018 03:06PM
You guys are full of crap you that have 300 thousand in one got your Ass burnt not saying you dont but paints are on fire

Re: How much "knowledge" does it it take?? November 21, 2018 04:10PM
New guy ? Before I can answer your question, what kind of tracts do you have ? 80 percent race car tacky tracts or 80 percent sand sh.t tracts ?

Have a Great Deal for you! November 21, 2018 10:08PM
You talk about $150K to $300K for a Super Farm. I can sell you my Open Alcohol Super Stock [ The old "Slow Ride, then Big Toy II ] for $110K !!! Past 2X NTPA Champion, Built by one of the best in the business [ Terry Blackbourn ]. Unlike SF or Lgt Pro, you can run the same turbo's for years. The maintenance is mostly changing oil and checking Data Logger. I have ran Super Farm, Pro Stock, Lgt. Pro in the past. Open Super has been the most fun for me. If it wasn't for poor health and lack of help, i would not be wanting to sell. Why would some want to spend $120K to a SF to run in the middle of the pack ? Brent Payne runs the same configuration in the GALOT Tractor's which are on top. Buy something like this and go have fun !!! Also Open Super allows any Sheet metal !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2018 10:19PM by PULLMX.

Re: Have a Great Deal for you! November 22, 2018 01:24AM
PullMX, i for one would love to have your tractor, but thats a lil more than i can afford right now, ive pulled for years an the returns have just not kept up with cost at all, if i lived closer to you id help you with it an you probably wouldn't want to sell, but im probably 4hrs from you, sry

Re: Have a Great Deal for you! November 22, 2018 01:51AM
Are you just going to right a check or build it yourself?
The difference is HUGE. To pay someone to build you a tractor versus having the knowledge and know how to do it yourself could easily be 10's of thousands difference on a build like a pro.

Re: Have a Great Deal for you! November 22, 2018 02:43AM
That was a good answer.The only way to be competitive with the average poor mans stuff is being able to do a bunch of the work your self and spending you money where it counts .Such as engine,fuel, turbo, and tires forget all the fancy hoods and chrome a nice clean painted JD with the yellow painted rims looks nice and will turn just as many heads . Also If 640 is the cube limit i would spend my money to be 640 i may be able to help with some of that

Re: Have a Great Deal for you! November 22, 2018 03:54PM
Lol just read that best I recall didn’t they run that tractor on national level.. anyway I’ve already got a 5020 and 10.1 block starting there and gathering parts as I go hit a transmission on the way after further thought I plan to build a 3000 rpm 20.8 hotfarm with Intercooler build up from there as I get better parts I’ll get closer to superfarm or Ill just wait till the day I can afford to go limited pro that’s the ultimate goal for me I want to compete with a lim pro in the silver series and be talked about like just Wagler now that is expensive to do but I still think I could build that for less than 300 but I’ll make sure to start that thread when that day comes

Re: How much "knowledge" does it it take?? November 22, 2018 02:40AM
I’m building my self and also I live on tacky tracks

Re: How much "knowledge" does it it take?? November 22, 2018 03:20AM
Im glad your doing it yourself, thats good, thats money in your pocket- aint no price on experience- you'll be better off in the long run !!!!

Re: How much "knowledge" does it it take?? November 22, 2018 01:17PM
Newguy-- theres a 4430 super farm on the forsale page that has everything already done to it for less than 80 grand-- so the theory of 300 grand just went out the window !!!! Lol

Re: How much "knowledge" does it it take?? November 22, 2018 11:23PM
It might be for sale for 80k but it's just like a new car once you drive it off the lot it loses it value. That tractor I bet he put more than 80k into it when started but what you put in it you never get back out of it. Just ask the big guys in ntpa or ppl to see how much they just put in it each winter I bet you will s hit your pants you try to build one for 80k and be competitive it would be hard

Re: Correct me if I am wrong November 23, 2018 04:24AM
And wasn't this class started years ago to be an economical entry level class that now Takes 100- 300K to compete? WOW!

What it cost in 2006 ! November 23, 2018 05:55AM
Back in 2006 I built a John Deere Super Farm from the ground up with new 7820 sheet metal, 640 engine w/ parts from REI. Did 85% of the work myself. Still cost me $95,000 [ No Labor figured in ] to build. Won my State Championship and sold it the following spring for $80,000 for a down payment on a family Farm.

Re: What it cost in 2006 ! November 23, 2018 08:53AM
This thread is so hilarious,, must be the BIG FAMILY FARMS doing all the pulling now = JOKE ,, If you cant build it yourself its no fun,,,

Re: What it cost in 2006 ! November 23, 2018 09:08AM
Kristy aka DougG

Re: What it cost in 2006 ! November 23, 2018 11:36AM
I would agree to that for myself but on the other hand there,s people who love tractor pulling just as much as i do thats not capable to build there own and hire a builder or buy one already built its still the same difference.Its the pullers fault these starter classes get expensive and out of hand for not looking to the future and thinking of self

Re: What it cost in 2006 ! November 23, 2018 01:18PM
aalewis big mouth,--build one for me at a huge discount in the name of the sport's future.

Re: How much "knowledge" does it it take?? November 24, 2018 03:24AM
theres one thing about lewis I can say atleast he don't hide behind some fake name if you got something to say put your name on it....

Re: How much "knowledge" does it it take?? November 24, 2018 07:27AM
No Georgee your wrong i dont have all the answers just most of them,I just dont sugar coat them PS are you a girl same name as my Aunt

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 23, 2018 02:12PM
You don't have spend the big $$ to be competitive. You have seen our stuff run and i guarantee you we do not have the best of the best. I built my SF tractor my self and had less than 40k in it the first time i hooked it. Like you have read above you can probably spend up to 300k if you want. I say take your time and build it yourself. I can tell you that learning your setup in the first year is worth more than the money you will spend for the extra 50hp.............................

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 24, 2018 12:01AM
You will have 100k in a new turn key tractor. Cromwellb17 has 6500-8000 in just his turbo depending on which Hart’s intake cover he started with, big bell fancy or stock gt style. Gms will rework either cover. Stock hardened rods will break at over 3000 ft pounds at low rpms. You have to run billets unless you want to buy a motor twice!! Here are some honest cost
Tires rims new— $14,000
Used— $3500
New turbo—$6500-8500 depending on brand and updates
Used—- $3500-5000
Billet rods new $4000-6000 depending on brand and material
Used billet $2500-4000
New cam— $1800
Used $650
I can keep going but it adds up fast and this is nothing for a parts list.

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 24, 2018 12:19AM
I wouldn't want to use old parts or used parts because you don't know if anything is wrong with them it might add up faster but it will be worth it tho

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 24, 2018 02:00AM
just call Leewiss,-- he has all the answers for all questions,topics,new used wanna be and not dreampt up yet,he chimes in on most issues,tells us how when for what,he must be special

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 25, 2018 10:52AM
Georgee i port a polish a lot of heads i could probably save you a ton of money .The average price is 4 to 6 hundred depends on what it is and what class i have a JD and two IH heads finished now if you want some pictures hows that for a discount

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 25, 2018 11:35AM
A lot of folks claim to fame,anyone can grind away,-- many many heads have been touched up by the think they know crowd,-- only to be ruined

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 25, 2018 02:04PM
I agree WOW We finally agree on something we may become friends after all Georgeina

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 25, 2018 02:10PM
which group u in,I pretty much know

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 25, 2018 02:59PM
You are going to need better parts to run your intercooled hot farm than you will for a superfarm......

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 25, 2018 02:35PM
I do not know if Don & Brian Rhodes from Bradford, Ohio got their 6030 SF sold or not. It had been listed in the Puller magazine over a couple years. May have been about a year ago, was last time I saw it advertised. Had a bunch of freshened sparts in it. "Gambler" always looked good and ran good. Price sure seemed very reasonable. I think they started at $80K and was down into the 60 something in the last ad. At that kind of price, probably make more senxe to buy it for a new puller to cut his teeth on rather than trying to build his own.

One expense for a 5020/6030 that I doubt was in 'the disputable list', is the fee Engler charges for vastly lightning up that big heavy duty non-destructible mammoth 5020/6030 rearend.

SmokenJoe, you have the best answer in this thread.

No matter how one goes about this pulling sport, the greenbucks will add up quicker and be more than ever dreamt.

Newguy, just because you bought it a whole lot cheaper than listed in 'the disputable list', does not mean that what you are getting is right and or will last a long time. If those gears are inferior and break and results in overrevving the engine causing major harm to it, then those 'cheap' tranny gears equate to being pretty expensive. All to have gained what? Newguy, I have been reading your stuff for months. My rec is get off your arrogant and name calling attitude. Then you might make some friends. And gather up some useful info. And if you do not know it already, unfortunately, Justin Wagler does not have the best of reputations, I'm sad to say. So, Newguy, chew on all this stuff for awhile. But, good luck in your pulling pursuit.

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 26, 2018 02:33PM
Interesting master piece there proven one first I’d like to point out that the transmission your referring to I know several on the track today in super farms and limited pros so with that being said it is what it is. You set behind your false name and hit the buttons on your keyboard all you want but the fact is no matter who likes Justin Wagler he’s putting it on anyone that wants to step up to the plate. Not sure what that had to do with me anyway as for I don’t even know Justin I started a thread in hopes to find some people that are running 619s with good turbos and pumps that are running good in superfarm just like cromwellb17 with the information that he was on the track for less than 40 grand that’s the type of people I was hoping to hear from instead I got bogus list that’s good enough to build a pro stock with opinions are opinions just like butt holes everyone has one but at the same time facts are facts and the fact is it’s not gonna take me 300,000$ to get on the track another fact you don’t have to build a profab you don’t got to be billet you don’t have to have the best sheet metal just to go run competitive with superfarm tractors my point is I’m a young puller dying to get on the track and I ask a simple question and get blasted with ridiculous answers instead of people actually trying to help “with the exception of a few” so you can say what you want behind your fake name and call me out all you want but the truth I’m just a guy trying to grow the sport in addition to my knowledge of the sport so say what you want do as you please not sure that I really care

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 27, 2018 12:45AM
It makes no difference what subject is the question??????????? Some will win with a small amount invested,some will not win with four times the amount wasted,just facts of life,truth matters only to those that value it. As stated above,-- knowledge,determination,willingness to go beyond,innovation,and sacrifice means much more than good money spent after bad. Finding a mentor that shows compassion and has passion for the same road you are on is very important,elders that have watched me over the yrs. choose to unite with me and offer advice,sometimes parts,direction,friendship and more. Sometimes life,luck and being good are confused with ego,arrogance and wishful thinking,I thank the Higher Power, for my talents,time,efforts and success,friendships that are competitive in nature on the track and priceless in the hauler are all we really want.Another spring will bring yet mores chances to enjoy,participate and share venues of our choice to showcase our levels of fun,privilege and honor among friends.The indoor season,is full of diversity and sometimes adverse conditions,warm outside air makes the heart and soul glad to be alive.Good Luck NEWGUY,sort out the grain from the chaff,learn,promote self,your equipment and build knowledge and a strong bond with the choices you make.I believe that working on your unit(to what ever level you can) is key to Happy Pulling.

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 27, 2018 01:48AM
xyz
It makes no difference what subject is the question??????????? Some will win with a small amount invested,some will not win with four times the amount wasted,just facts of life,truth matters only to those that value it. As stated above,-- knowledge,determination,willingness to go beyond,innovation,and sacrifice means much more than good money spent after bad. Finding a mentor that shows compassion and has passion for the same road you are on is very important,elders that have watched me over the yrs. choose to unite with me and offer advice,sometimes parts,direction,friendship and more. Sometimes life,luck and being good are confused with ego,arrogance and wishful thinking,I thank the Higher Power, for my talents,time,efforts and success,friendships that are competitive in nature on the track and priceless in the hauler are all we really want.Another spring will bring yet mores chances to enjoy,participate and share venues of our choice to showcase our levels of fun,privilege and honor among friends.The indoor season,is full of diversity and sometimes adverse conditions,warm outside air makes the heart and soul glad to be alive.Good Luck NEWGUY,sort out the grain from the chaff,learn,promote self,your equipment and build knowledge and a strong bond with the choices you make.I believe that working on your unit(to what ever level you can) is key to Happy Pulling.

This quote is some of the best advice on the site regarding pulling!

Re: How much money does it it take?? November 27, 2018 03:46AM
Thanks,we sometimes lose the "HUMAN" connection in all of life,meaningful aspects of daily rutines become boring,pulling is a hobby,sport and lifelong labor of love for many,please relax and enjoy all.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,758, Posts: 229,915, Members: 3,336.
This forum: Topics: 37,093, Posts: 226,014.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM