Cube Checking Methods November 20, 2018 11:37AM
What is the best way for a pulling club to check cubes at a pull? Drop oil pans? Pump cylinders? Drive to each competitors shop unannounced and make them tear down?

What are other clubs doing? Looking for suggestions and ideas on how to approach this.

Re: Cube Checking Methods November 20, 2018 12:20PM
Pumping cylinder is the way our club does it , had it done at pull before, doesn’t take long . Pull injector out an make sure piston is all the way down .. hand pump oil in and electric pump it out .

Re: Cube Checking Methods November 20, 2018 01:02PM
Interested can you explain a little better I'm illiterate when it comes to that ive always wondered how it works though

Re: Cube Checking Methods November 20, 2018 01:33PM
1-Remove any injector
2- bar engine over to bottom dead center
3- pump in fuel/oil mixture to desired cube size
4- use injector as a dipstick, if oil touches the tip your good.
5- suck out oil,
6- reinstall injector.

We have upgraded to using electric pump for in and out, with a premeasured beaker to save
Your hands.

In the infant stages of this teching, there was some huge skeptics. So we did it with head and
Pan off. To measure cylinder and see leakage past the rings to verify accuracy.
And once had to disclose someone’s compression ratio to prove it can be extremely accurate
If tech wants to spend some time. Usually is only 10-15 minute process once people are
Familiar with it.

Re: Cube Checking Methods November 21, 2018 03:34PM
Is there a “chart” for mixture ounces to cubic inches or what

Re: Cube Checking Methods November 22, 2018 01:56AM
One cubic inch = .554 fluid ounces.

Re: Cube Checking Methods November 22, 2018 03:13PM
Yes only works on 6 cylinder.
Several years ago I measured several 466 and 640 pistons cc’s when I made the normal
“Chart” that is used. It would allow for 3 cubic inch extra per cylinder. For sure quick
Teching. Most organizations have been good with that. If there is a need , it can be
Fine tuned to be more exact, but takes far more time.
I memory serves me correctly it would work down to about 10:1
After someone did gas or alcohol to verify it could be adjusted accordingly if needed.

Lance Mertens
920-680-8500

Re: Cube Checking Methods November 22, 2018 08:40AM
Just curious. How do you take into account different piston bowl/valve relief sizes?

Re: Cube Checking Methods November 22, 2018 10:05AM
Ih's method would work well on a straight 6 but no way would it work on a V-8 engine.....Unless you leveled up the Cylinder you are testing.

Re: Cube Checking Methods November 22, 2018 02:00PM
Might be close on diesel, but would not even be close on gas or alcohol. Would have to fill cylinder at tdc, lower to bdc, measure amount added to finish filling cylinder. MACk

Re: Cube Checking Methods November 23, 2018 05:31AM
My motor had been pumped 6 times, small block Chevy. It is built at 358 Cu. In., has pumped exactly that every time.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009