LLSS Build Costs and Ideas January 28, 2019 01:42PM
A long long way down the road I might look at building for this class as it looks like alot of fun and its probably one of the cheaper classes to build for that you can run around the country. I know there are alot of motor options. So what would be the most cost effective motor to build, and how much would that be. Preferably the motor that is most legal around the country. It's going to feel like -30 here in Illinois for the next couple days. Thought I would think about building tractors instead of working outside.

Re: LLSS Build Costs and Ideas January 28, 2019 11:46PM
70k to 170k depending on your time and capabilities and preference

Re: LLSS Build Costs and Ideas January 29, 2019 01:20AM
A ih using a dt360 engine would be your cheapest option or olliver rear using a Cummins the ih engine is cheaper to build tthan the cummins

Re: LLSS Build Costs and Ideas January 29, 2019 01:46AM
Hello,
I m from France and run what we called limited superstock. What are the main line of the rules books for what you called LLSS?
Thank you

Re: LLSS Build Costs and Ideas January 29, 2019 03:02AM
To gonz, these are the National Rules, most clubs are pretty close in these rules. Some use difference in weight and turbos.
Attachments:
open | download - Light Limited Super Stock (national rules).pdf (123.4 KB)

Re: LLSS Build Costs and Ideas January 30, 2019 11:52AM
Gonz,
This is a great class for any skill level of puller. There are several ways of looking at this class that make the rule writers look absolutely brilliant. However, many of us are friends with those guys and enjoy reminding them when that is not the case. If we're talking metric numbers, the basic rules are:
6 liters on alcohol
7.7 liters on diesel (no intercooler)
6.7 liters on diesel with intercooler
Turbo limited to 76mm intake wheel and 99mm on exhaust
2-stage turbos on diesel with 5.9 liter engine
Weight is roughly 3000kg
Engines can makes as much as 1500hp, but with this light of a tractor it still takes a skilled driver and good setup to have any chance. I have seen several times where a more budget limited team makes a smooth, straight run and beats high budget teams who don't perform as well. As several of these other posts say, put together what is available for the best price. I found a motor for $350 and a rearend for $500. What I've spent since then has been more significant, but doing alot of the work myself has also helped. There is no clear cut combination, motor, tire or engine builder that has been dominant. Most brands of tractors have shown up on the track and been competitive. All brands have their strengths and weaknesses. Having been a fan of the sport for a long time, I'm very drawn to the raw ideas and innovation that showed up in the early days. This is the closest thing to that I've had the opportunity to witness and the safety equipment is much better now too. This isn't a class that needs to be at the top tier events, but it will probably entertain more fans during a summer running at so many more of the smaller ones. Its definitely has a grassroots feel and the underdog always has some chance of winning.

Re: LLSS Build Costs and Ideas January 30, 2019 01:22PM
Well said

Re: LLSS Build Costs and Ideas January 29, 2019 01:26AM
Nightmarehelper - It really all boils down to what color you want to run. If you are buying everything new, top of the line and want to run with the best of the best, papajohn's figure probably isn't way off. If you want to get a tractor going and on the track to make respectable passes and have fun it can be done much cheaper. Watched for deals on used stuff. I have a friend that has probably 15K in each of his Alky Binders. I will have probably 15K-20K in my Deere when all is said and done. You just gotta talk to the right people and watch for deals. I have seen a few for sale for 10K-35K depending on how much work they needed.

Now with that said, I think John Deere is probably one of the more expensive options in this class. Red and any AGCO are probably cheapest (in my opinion). Both have a lot of engine options including the 5.9 Cummins. Good luck!

Re: LLSS Build Costs and Ideas January 29, 2019 11:29PM
I am in the process of building a LLSS White 2-155 using a 1800 Oliver Rearend and Cummins Alcohol engine. I would sell it for less than $70k and it's built with all the good stuff !!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,768, Posts: 229,934, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,025.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009