Class numbers and fans March 26, 2019 06:02AM
Okay I would just like to ask for some pulling fans opinions. Let’s say there’s a class of tractors that are a fan favorite, but there are only 7-8 tractors that normally compete at each show. Would you still want to see 10 or more pulls for that class on the organization circuit, or is the class not deserving of that due to lack of numbers? Curious as to what everyone thinks!

Re: Class numbers and fans March 26, 2019 07:46AM
Double edge sword there..

If you start cutting hooks for a class in an organization due to there only being 7-8 tractors, that kills any potential interest in any new tractors being built. Why build a tractor and have a small schedule that will wind up getting smaller?
If you start adding hooks for that class, guys break, and your numbers go even lower.

If you're a club official, I'd look at trying to give that class a fair schedule, but do your best at spacing the class out through your season to allow for repairs. Possibly look at rules to make the class more appealing for new tractors to join the class.

My 2 cents..

---

Re: Class numbers and fans March 26, 2019 11:49AM
I live in an area where we are lucky to average 7-8 pullers per class...Thats plenty for a good show if you run 6-8 classes...

Re: Class numbers and fans March 26, 2019 02:35PM
I really think people would watch the very top level of vehicles regardless the numbers...even to the point of just being exibition passes. People like to see the top levels just to expiriance that unbelievable power that these vehicles make.

S'no Farmer

Class and numbers March 27, 2019 12:34AM
I have mixed emotions about class numbers. While agree that fans want to see top level vehicles they also need to feel that they are getting their monies worth. Having a show with four classes that have a total of 20/25 hooks is not fair to the fans. And having a points class with 4 vehicles is a joke. I don't mind one exhibition class if it does not take an hour to run 2 vehicles. That puts pulling at the national level in a tough spot. Run 4/6 vehicles is the extreme HP classes or run 15 in the 3000 HP classes.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Class and numbers March 27, 2019 02:02AM
I very much so agree with you Mr. Morgan on the national level side of things. Although, what is your opinion on a high horse power class with 7 to 8 tractors competing at the state level?

Re: Class and numbers March 27, 2019 03:03AM
Dick,
I honestly believe that some day the very top classes will not have enough competitors to maintain classes. I feel that at some point there will only be a few of the very best in the most powerfull classes,Unlimited Mod,USS and Heavy DSS. I could see a day when the few that are left just do exibition passes and the rest of an event will consist of some of the classes that are maintaining numbers or are growing at this point in time.

I've said it many times and fully believe that pullers are their own worst enemy. We strive to make more power no matter the cost,eventually this mode of operation catches up with most pullers until they can't spend the money or they refuse to spend the money.

I hope I'm wrong in my prediction because I love watching these classes but I can't see a way that very many pullers continue on this path.

Take a look at other major motorsports you know the ones that were thriving 10 years ago, even they with all of their sponsorship are not filling their fields of competitors as cost have gone completely over the top.

S'no Farmer

Re: Class and numbers March 27, 2019 04:32AM
Todd: I couldn't agree with you more. In fact I just had this very conversation with a good friend that is a long time fan and does a great amount of analyst on the sport and it's direction. The classes you mentioned will most likely become just that. The fair board will bring in a couple 4 engine mods or alcohol super stocks and have a match pull. The announcers will build up this great rivalry and put both drivers on the mic and the fans will leave satisfied. I guess I'll ask this question then; does the fan really care who wins, does the fan have on his/her " Joe Mod Puller" coat and after the pull go back to their camper and put out the "Team Joe Mod" signs, no. In fact there are very few shows the celebrate the class winner. Bowling Green and the NFMS do an excellent job of showcasing the winners. However I know that the pullers always care who wins and loses and a few very knowledgeable fans care but I'm not sure who else does. Pulling has done a poor job of building the excitement into their points races, in fact most fans hardly even know there is a points race that leads to a class champion. They don't know that these pullers where in Central City last week and are heading to Center City next weekend. And after the '' any sheet metal any engine rule" the fans don't even have brand loyalty to hang on to. They just go to one or two events a year and watch a bunch of hooded tractors where some blow smoke and some don't and some really cool trucks and mods that look like something out of the future. Noise, chrome, great paint jobs and big tires is what the fans come to see. So I'll ask this also; has pulling become more of an exhibition than competition to the average fan?

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2019 04:47AM by Dick Morgan.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,697, Posts: 229,806, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,960.

Our newest member CBeard