V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend April 01, 2019 06:56PM
I found and read some old disussions about rearends for small block v8 hot rod tractors. Cockshuts, MH 44 and others seem popular in those discussionns I found. can they or others be used successfully in stock form, or do they need modifications. what modifications are commonly done.

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend April 02, 2019 12:24AM
most run a second tranny ahead of tractor transmission,to help not break gears,Massey's like to break third gear if run direct.

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend April 02, 2019 01:06AM
Would not recommend a MH44 rearend as they always spin one wheel out as nearing end of run, whereas other tractor makes will gain several more feet. Does not matter if talking a stock tractor or rearend used in any horsepower size Mod. Good luck in trying to ever win with a MH44 rearend. Cockshutt 40, 50, 570 have been the tough and most used rearend over the decades & still are in today's EconoMods.

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend April 02, 2019 04:14AM
evertone has an opinion,-- not always worth much,I have one ,never spins one tire out,ever,wins 85% of the time,700 plus hp, it is mod so build as needed,-- have limited slip diff. - Duh !!!!!!!!!!!

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend April 03, 2019 09:49AM
Limited Slip ?

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend April 03, 2019 09:57AM
that's what they call it in a car or truck,regardless,-- it works, many 44 Masseys around the area,most don't have the power to run hard and win,but still out there running well.

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend April 03, 2019 12:08PM
I know what limited slip is. Just didnt know that you guys use it in tractor pulling. I thought that you were needleing them to reduce power loss when on one of the brakes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2019 12:10PM by loganmh44.

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend April 04, 2019 12:37AM
To each his own on factory Ag transmission and differential choices. I've run both Massy Harris, Ford and Cockshutt rear ends in modifieds over the years. I'll agree that the toughest conventional Ag rear end are the Cockshutt's as "Would Not" noted. The Ford differentials with inboard planetary' s are extremely tough, but the transmissions are weak if the rules allow you to run an Ag rear end with planetary' s. The Massey Harris 44's will hold up decent, depending on the weight of the class you're wanting to run. The best weight for a MH 44 is 5,200 lb. or less. Much more weight than that on them and they seem to fail. What are you class rules loganmh44?

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend April 04, 2019 02:29AM
A 570 rear end is very strong,but must also be very heavy with all that material in there.I pull 6200 and 6500 with my Massey,I spin out - never pull down and use torque to break stuff,and having an extra trans ahead of weaker rearend takes the shock load first.That is what other successful people have found out and shared with me.

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend April 04, 2019 02:46AM
I run a f20 rear end coupled to a turbo 400 with a manual valve body. Only broke one axle in 10 years and that was due to bounce.

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend April 04, 2019 03:23AM
Looking at the COTPA they run small block all cast iron V8 at 6000 lbs. My deal is that i m getting out of circle track racing and have 2 SBC engines. They are .040 over 350. I have access to a MH44. Would probly be under power to be competitive but it would be a start to get my feet wet untill i can build the other engine to be competitive. I know there will be a lot of work to be done but i m looking for a "science project".

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend April 04, 2019 04:21AM
I bought my tractor with a sbc 355 restricted to certain heads,it was fun and I changed some things to make it "MINE" to be more adjustable in several ways,Having Fun is key,Having a project is even more fun,we need to have a means to exhuast some extra energy.I was near the winners circle mostly and even won sometimes,but wanted a little more,so with a new custom tranny,more power,new slipper clutch and new hubs,tweaking and learning to drive -- I now have a really fun tractor that is amazing to drive and surprises many people.Having fun is key. Enjoy,-- bond with your tractor and learn it's personality and manage it to combine with yours to share fun times,make friends and go do it.

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend April 04, 2019 04:59AM
Georgee, thats the plan to have fun. Where are you from? What organization/s do you pull with? Any pictures you could share?

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend April 05, 2019 01:27AM
just go with the massy 55..so much better.. have in a small block 500 hp...has rite gears .dont think you can tear this one out...the 44 rear end will hold up..but tranny is big issue...and by the way this tractor is for sale!!!!!

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend April 05, 2019 11:08AM
Logan, I’ve never seen a small block compete with the big blocks. The reason being, is that they’re still limited to 6000 RPM. They would be way under cubed because the Big blocks are allowed 505 with one organization and 521 with another.

If the small blocks could run 8000 and be limited to 410,, I think they’d have something...But at this point they don’t do it that way...
I believe the SBs in Michigan and surrounding areas run 8000...Not 100% sure on that but think that’s right.

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend April 04, 2019 01:46PM
You’re correct. No one runs a limited slip or locked rear end, at least ones that know what they’re doing! A free rear end will pull straight

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend April 04, 2019 12:00PM
We have a Hot Rod V-8. We run a big block class in eastern Ohio/Western PA. Limited to 6000 RPM. Sounds like you’re interested in the small block class though. I know there is one for sale on the for sale page. It’s an Oliver.

Toughness wise, the Oliver is great (it’s a Super 88/880). Gearing with 18.4x38 can be an issue. There are 3 different ring and pinion options for those. They all have their positives and negatives. We personally run the stock rearend from the factory. Know of 2 other Oliver’s that had gears made. All stout tho.

Also know of 2 Molines (one is a U and it’s Heavy)
2 Cockshutt 40s - Probably one of the best rearends for this application from the factory
Know of a couple Cockshutt 570s
2 Case 600s - These are usually top of the class because of chain drive and they’re just tough competitors
Fords
Massey’s
Farmall Ms
4020 John Deere’s
All is Chalmers D-17

You name it, it’s probably out there. Most guys re-gear them as I said but not all

To each their own but if you have any more questions I can try and help you with what I know...Which isn’t a lot...Haha

Good luck

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend April 04, 2019 12:13PM
Thanks Hummin Cummins

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend April 04, 2019 12:18PM
No problem. Also. One more thought on the Massey Harris 44. There’s a pretty good runner in our class and I know he’s re-geared. I also know that they’ve broken more than one. They almost switched to a different Massey model because they are getting harder to find but found a couple more donors so they are still running it.
Doesn’t mean they are bad rearends tho. Just what I know about that particular Massey 44. But they usually do spin out just one tire. But I’ve seen that work to their benefit actually more than once...

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend April 04, 2019 01:05PM
Are the MH 44 having trouble with trans gears or ring and pinion. I have seen video of the BB tractors. Have any of the SB tractors ever run with you guys or is there rule issues preventing it. If they have how did they do. As for buying a built tractor now I have 2 SBC circle track engines nobody wants or I am asking too much for and I think i have a real inexpensive
44 so I thought i would go down that road.

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend April 05, 2019 03:55AM
All I have heard and seen is the 44 Masseys break 3rd gear fairly easy when not using aux trans.Key is spinning out with out lug down

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend May 07, 2019 10:01AM
The 550 would be a bit on the light side, in my opinion. I know of a couple 570 Cockshutts that run pretty well but never a 550. Not saying it wouldn’t work but would try to find a little bit heavier rear if you can.

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend May 07, 2019 06:15AM
Are the Cockshutt 550 rearends any good for this type of pulling?

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend May 07, 2019 10:10AM
5550 560 and 570 are the same

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend May 07, 2019 12:47PM
My apologies. I thought the 570 was a heavier unit. If they are the same, then I’ve seen them in action. They run good and have never seen one have an issue. I know a Cockshutt rearend, typically is built very stout. But again my apologies. I thought the 570 was heavier built

Massy 44 rearend April 05, 2019 01:30PM
Massy 44 Oliver 88 m Farmall cockshutt 40 and several others will work. I run a Farmall 460. I broke lots of parts figuring it out a 560 would work. Find the tractor you like and build it. Have fun.

Re: Massy 44 rearend May 07, 2019 01:44PM
I have some friends who use the 50 rear end with know problems but they get rid of the transmission

Re: Massy 44 rearend May 07, 2019 02:39PM
Yeah some guys keep the stock transmission, but others use a different transmission because of the age and the strength concerns of some. It’s pretty impressive what those old rear ends can stand when you realize that most are putting more than 10x the original power through them...But everything has its limits. But like I said. I know of at least 6-10 that run the stock rears. Some of them are very competitive too.

Re: Massy 44 rearend May 07, 2019 05:01PM
i just looked at 2 550s this morning the axels and axel housings are smaller, as well as the physical size of the main casting than 40/50 560/570

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2019 05:04PM by loganmh44.

Re: Massy 44 rearend May 07, 2019 11:35PM
logan, it’s really up to you on what you wanna do. If you have a brand loyalty (Sounds like Cockshutt or Massey) then find the strongest rear you can that still meets the rules. I know in the big block class that is run in Ohio and PA the rule says 72 or older. So guys are running even newer combinations. When ours was built the rule said 57 or older so we built a super 88.

In the Ohio/PA class most do not run the auxiliary transmission. Some tried it and found it just took more power to run it and they didn’t need it.

If you are a good fabricator or have someone who is, you can build the tractor around the rearend. Again, that’s what many do in order to make the V8 sit in there nicely.

You can always find a good foundation and start building. Then change it how you like. I hope you find something you like and get into it. It’s a fun class with great competitors. It’s a great way to revive those old fence row tractors

Good luck and if you have other questions, you can certainly come on here and ask. Try to help anyway we can

Re: Massy 44 rearend May 08, 2019 10:00AM
no one uses ,(from above) what I am running as many others do as well,must be sompinn in da water.

Re: Massy 44 rearend May 09, 2019 12:23AM
I’m not trying to get into an argument with anyone. There are many good options out there for a good foundation. And there are people much smarter than I that could help you get rolling when you’re ready. I’m sure some of the Central Ohio guys can help you so that you’re set up more for their rules. Good luck to you logan

Re: Massy 44 rearend May 09, 2019 01:44AM
It has been mentioned before to build to specs where you want to pull.Makes perfect sense,that is why we all like and want similar rules so we can travel to a fun new venue to enjoy make friends and share passion for the sport. But if you choose to go on a personal journey and build outside the lines,-- then have fun,pull when and where you can and most of all have fun. Building,modifing and making it your own if you buy something is the happiness for me.Nothing in the wotld sounds as good as a well tuned and good running V8.

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend May 27, 2019 02:41PM
Update. The MH44 deal fell thru. However I ended up buying 2 cockshutt 40 tractors. Thank you all for your input on the selection of a tractor. On another note does this mean I should change my user name? Can i change it or is it like getting your girlfriends name tattooed on yourself? LOL

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend May 29, 2019 11:21AM
I really think that you made a great choice with the Cockshutt 40. They’re great rearends. Seemed to be geared just about perfect and tough as nails. You may have to figure out a work around for the steering if you use the stock steering but it’s doable. Best of luck to you.

As far as changing your name... I don’t know. Didn’t see a way with a quick look into it. Maybe you can create a new account...

Logan, try this May 29, 2019 02:27PM
Good choice, Logan. For your new handle, try LoganCo40".

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend May 29, 2019 03:27PM
I can change it for you just email me (jakemorgan@pulloff.com) with what you'd like it to be and I'll take care of it.

As for usernames and tattoos I'd suggest "No Regerts"

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend May 30, 2019 12:32AM
Great choice and if you need a needled cross or brake kit give us a call at Modern, 765-934-3110

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend May 30, 2019 02:25PM
If this is for a small block class i have a nice 383 stroker with a lot of good parts in a 86 chevy short bed i would sell just the engine or as a whole it has a nice body 270 566 2901 6 inch rods billet pistons steal crank bullit cam roller rockers world product heads 770 carb 388 cube buy truck and all for 7500 new hot rod black paint cowl hood nice little truck .Buy the engine and get the truck free

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2019 02:28PM by Lewis Conner.

Re: V8 hot rod tractor rearends mh 44 rearend December 14, 2019 01:01AM
I have lenco reveser 1100 an bell housing bbc
modified tractor call 209 345-3074 DAN.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,698, Posts: 229,797, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member CBeard