Promoting the youth of our sport April 26, 2019 06:09AM
We can all agree that the majority of our fans are getting older. So why hasn’t NTPA or PPL done anything to promote the next generation of pullers to younger fans?

Is it too much work? Do they not care? Sure I like seeing older names and their tractors. But I also enjoy seeing younger pullers having the time of their life. It’s unfortunate but a younger puller today would be defined as someone under 40 years of age.

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 26, 2019 07:26AM
Couldn't agree more !!!!

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 26, 2019 07:33AM
First we have to define "young."

If "young" is under 40 then we're in pretty good shape but yes there is a need to fight the battle of pullers aging out. Look at the rosters of Champions Tour and GN pre-commits and yes, you'll see some older folks but there's some fresh new faces....example - The Spiegelbergs and Linvilles are younger guys (Scott S. and Chris L. you're young fellas in my book). The Sheltons in Mod and Mini-Rod... The list can go on.

From my perspective there's a significant cost issue with running national-level pulling; many young people do not have the resources to fight that battle unless they're a part of a team already where teams expand over time as young pullers "age-in." It takes time to build the resources to play in the big sandbox, and the ability to step away from work to go pull.

I see a lot more pullers in state and regional groups that are at the younger end of the age spectrum because there are time and cost components that are less of an issue. The antique world had an issue about 5 or so years ago where pullers were aging out and no new blood coming in but that tide has turned some in the last few years. In the end you gotta pull what you can afford to pull, period. If you're like me with a Pro Stock dream and Farm Stock Oliver 77 bank account, you gotta act accordingly...

One last observation: there are a bunch of pullers who are veteran pullers with 20 years of experience but may be only in their late thirties to mid-forties. Jordan Lustik has been running the Bullet now since '95 and not 40 years old yet, one example. Jeff Hirt is in that same timeframe too.

I guess it's all about perspective. Good question.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2019 07:34AM by Bryan Lively.

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 26, 2019 02:11PM
"Young Fan", you have some proposals of how to hopefully acheive the objective?

Incidentally, there are actually a pretty good size camp of 'young' seasoned veterans because they were allowed to start competing in the major sanctioning bodies at age 16. And generally with really a very respectable competitive piece of equipment because the parent (or other relative) was already (quite) competitive. TWD and MINI are probably some of the quickest and most recoginizable names.

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 26, 2019 03:49PM
Social Media, TV ads for an upcoming pull, morning news media, radio interviews with local stations, etc etc. Anything to show that Pulling isn’t just full of 50-60 year old guys..

If you say that it cannot be done, look at how pulling used to be showcased back in the 80s-early 90s. There was a morning news crew interviewing a puller with their vehicle. NTPA and PPL have the money, time, and resources to make this happen. It’s just obvious that they won’t do anything as long as pullers keep showing up. However there will come a time when the fairs quit holding sanctioned events due to crowd size fall-off or that they could have a country singer for less money and still pack the grandstands.

Not to be so negative. I just want to see Pulling continue to be around. And creating a buzz around younger drivers WILL attract younger fans more-so than a bunch of highlight videos on Facebook. Younger fans need someone they can relate to. (Age-wise)

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 27, 2019 04:42AM
I guess the original post has more to do with the organizations getting the word out there that there are indeed some very good young competitors rather than that there not being any young pullers. Yes there are a lot of very good young pullers and yes it could be a good thing to promote them more.

The one thing that I think is different now as opposed to years ago is that most young people could care less about cars,trucks and tractors. It's been said that the 20 somethings just don't care about these things. They are more into their phones and social media,they don't want cars. Granted when you get into the country it's a different story but thirty years ago you could go to indoor pulls in big city's and it would be a packed house,the city folks found it interesting and would come out to these events...not so much any more. They'd rather sit in front of a computer screen and surf you tube than leave the house.

Could the big organizations do better in promoting the young guns,sure I think they could. Would it make a dent in attendance at events...I'm not so sure it would help much.

S'no Farmer

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 27, 2019 05:22AM
The problem is there are less people involved with farming

Total population: 261,423,000;
farm population: 2,987,552;
farmers 2.6% of labor force;
Number of farms: 2,143,150;
average acres: 461;
irrigated acres: 49,404,000

Total population: 204,335,000;
farm population: 9,712,000;
farmers 4.6% of labor force;
Number of farms: 2.780, 000
; average acres: 390

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 28, 2019 04:00AM
All are great points. However all that I’m hearing is that the “younger pullers” have to promote themselves. Why can’t the organizations assist in showcasing the younger talents? Sounds to me like the “older” pullers would get jealous if this happened. Apparently a younger puller hasn’t earned the right to be the face of the sport. Because it has yet to get brought up again...

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 27, 2019 05:47AM
How many young guys have a disposable income?

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 27, 2019 11:40AM
Grubby
How many young guys have a disposable income?
This is the main thing. I know a lot of younger people who like pulling, but everything is expensive these days. Houses, vehicles, tools, insurances, taxes, technology, ect. Often times that makes it difficult for a young guy to build a competitive rig.

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 27, 2019 12:01PM
I have to agree with snow farmer. The younger generation doesn't care about the same things that we did. Things are different now different interests and many other distractions when we were kids Danny dean and John klug were kings. Hell most young farm kids have never driven a 1066 or a 4020 so how can you expect them to have the same thoughts of this sport we did

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 27, 2019 01:40PM
The whole tractor pulling gig was a lot simpler when I started in 1976. You weren't paying $5000 for a turbo or pump. I was very lucky to find a very experienced mechanic to help me with my pump and setup. Today pulling has gone over the edge and every organized class is a high dollar class if you want to be a top 5 or even 10 tractor. I really like watching the "kids" pull so that's why I let my grandson have the seat of our hot farm tractor. I still get in the seat once in a while but I would rather watch him pull. It's something we can do together. Yea we need this or that to be a top tractor but we go and have a good time doing the best we can with what we have. I guess it depends on where you're at but we have quit a few young pullers in our area. As far as promoting young pullers that's a tough one. My personal way is to give them any help I can or point them in the direction of some one who can.

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 27, 2019 02:15PM
I've had pulling tracters most of my life in one form or another and I've have not once been approached by a younger person to become involved with or mentored threw pulling. I don't understand it personally when we were young we went looking for opportunities.

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 27, 2019 04:52PM
I want to thank Todd (Sno Farmer) for steering me back in line, I completely misunderstood the original poster's comment. Having re-read it I think I skipped every other word the first time I read it.

Younger pullers I think do a fairly good job of making themselves accessible through social media. If you are active on social media as a puller or pulling fan you're more than likely friends with these folks on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. Could some teams/young pullers do a better job of promoting and being a "face" for a new generation of pullers and pulling fans? Sure.

Here is the glaring truth about motorsports in general: we could ALL do a better job of promoting to a new generation that is preoccupied with their phones and the apps they bury themselves in. The one thing I don't understand is this: my generation wanted nothing more than to get their drivers license as soon as it was possible. I remember my driving test as I am sure many of you did as well. Driving, tinkering on my car/truck was empowering, a sign of growing up. For those of us grew up on the farm a love affair with wheels began with tractors/combines in the seat of a tractor before we were legal on the road. That love affair with wheels is at the very heart of all motorsports and somehow my generation didn't pass that love along to another generation, but how did that happen?

The other truth is that the 5.9 Cummins powered Dodge has taken the place of the 4440 and 1066 in the hearts and minds of a new generation of pullers. We gotta make sure they feel welcome to the dance too even if you're not a truck "fan."

It's 1am thats all I got.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 28, 2019 12:10AM
Think about it, it’s easier to relate to what “your” driving. I see so many young folks trucking out their diesel trucks these days. On the other hand, most vehicles (including my own) have gotten so completely computerized that the average person doesn’t even attempt to repair them. Backyard mechanics are hard to find these days as well. I believe all this factors into our fan base / demographic.

In regards to changing with the times...look at the monster truck world. In the 80s it just took Bob Chandler to drive over a few cars and the crowd went nuts. Now, they have vehicles with fiberglass bodies resembling superheroes and monsters. It’s all about having people MARKETING your product and CHANGING with the times. And by changing, I don’t mean moving the Full Pull mark to 370, lol.

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 28, 2019 12:19AM
I have to agree with Todd (Sno Farmer), the younger generation does not have the same interest in motorsports that the present one does. However the biggest problem with the sport at the national level still comes back to the fact the the sport is to expensive. Couple that with the cost and time to follow the a national circuit and it's no wonder that the younger generation will not, can not compete. I believe that if you look at the so called younger pullers that do pull you will see that they are children of pullers that are paying the bills so they can compete. Nothing wrong with that, however it does not change the facts that most young pullers are competing because they were raised in a pulling family. The growth (if there is any) is in the local/state level where the rules and travel costs are more manageable.
So here is my question: what does it cost to build, maintain, and pull a PS, TWD, SF or any other vehicle that hooks in a national circuit. I realize that the cost will vary with the pullers choice of vehicle, however my point is that young pullers do not have the finances to get into pulling. No amount of Facebook, Twitter, or any other approach changes the fact that its to darn expensive for any young pullers to get into the sport.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 29, 2019 01:32AM
Dick,

You asked about costs...A GN level Pro Stock new build is around $350,000. A Gn level TWD $160,000 this is to build all new, no the Guy didn't have any parts laying around and no he wasn't able to really do any of the work himself. Maintaining if no unexpected damage occurs usually isn't bad, Travelling to events gets to be the main costs, but oil changes are over a $120 now and you will easily use 50-100 in fuel per run, year end overhaul on a Hemi that ran all season nothing major replaced is $4000-6000... I don't disagree we need lots of young folks in the sport and coming up...But don't forget a many a Fan young and old came to see ole #3 Racing when he was alive. Pulling needs an excitement factor, and the events need to have multiple tracks and other things going on too for everyone to enjoy the event, lets be honest a one track show with a crew taking 5 minutes a hook gets boring even to Us who love the sport. From a Competitors stand point we do very much need young new competitors coming up, they usually are family of a older Generation of Pullers, or young Farmers who have loved the sport since very young. This is one reason you don't see many if really any really young non farm family competitors getting in, you have to get older and build your income level to support your habit!

BB

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 29, 2019 02:53AM
This is a great thread. I am going to take a different approach and thought to promote the young puller, the new puller.

As a fan of truck and tractor pulling for many years, and coming from a family that pulling was the only thing we did in the summer, this topic hits home. I to want and will pull eventually, but at what level is unknown. As many of you have said, the cost is a big thing. Many of the people I know, have grown up watching many of the big names, wishing and basically daydreaming of the chance, the opportunity to be in there shoes. To drive that vehicle, to walk out on the dirt at Tomah or BG. But something that I know I never expected to be a part of and I think is a different route but trying to get the same result for the sport, is being involved in an event, being a promoter.

Our group in central Wisconsin, has been holding events on the local circuit going on 11 years now. In 2018, we wanted to do something to help kids, so we had a WTPA NTPA event to raise money for Back Pack for Hunger Program in local school and also helped the Ronald McDonald House. We held a coloring contest with the elementary school, had 7 pullers from WTPA picked, created coloring contest and 455 kids colored a sheet. Picked 8 winners, and them kids got to come out with their parents and meet the pullers, sit in the vehicles, talk with drivers. 2019, we are doing the same thing but with 12 schools, over 3000 kids. A weekend of events and 2 nights of pulling, local pull one night, R3/WTPA event the second. However, something I realized as we sat talked with kids last year about the pullers and as the parents stood there watching their child sit in The Wildfire Mini rod, or the Outrage FWD, or many of the other vehicles, the realization that so few know about this sport.
Everyone sees the big haulers, the amazing artwork, the sounds, and the smells of the fuel, everything that brought many of us to be consumed by this sport. However there are SO many people and kids, who know very little about it. So many know nothing about what how it works and how someone can get involved. It don't matter what level, it don't matter the what it costs, it don't matter who has the best Sassy hemi or the newest Harts Pump or the best chassis from Mr. Barbee, if the sport don't get promoted. The young puller, the new puller never gets a chance, if they don't know it's even there. Yes, this sport is driven off the latest and greatest and very very few can actually compete at the national level, but let’s not forget 95 percent of the pullers started much smaller, much cheaper and not with the best parts. Not every pulling facility is Tomah or Hillsboro or Chapel Hill, but there are ALOT of people all over the country working really hard every year, promoting, pushing and yes, even daydreaming to push this really great sport to better things.

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 28, 2019 01:38AM
I help run a local pull around where I live here in southwestern pa it's just a local brush pull we have about 6 pulls a year. What I believe is even from the beginning level of pulling we as pullers in our quest to make More and more power we have made it pulling almost unaffordable to the average family. For example it's been a long time since I've been anywhere to see a stock 1066 win a class even with a speed limit of 5.5. or for trucks when have you seen a street truck that does win with a programmer on it. Without other supporting other mods. And then when you make a class for those situations to try to correct it the majority of the crowd thinks it's a waste of time. When I was younger a lot of farmer families pulled but now that the prices of farming have declined they can't afford for there tractor to break over a recreational event,or the pull there diesel pickup that cost 60,00 to 80,000 new and then get wooped cause they ain't making 500 horse for street class. I wish I had a idea to bring my generation to the pulls. When I went to keystone indoor pull i thought they did an excellent job in that department. With the t shirt Cannon and keep the attention of the crowd I think that's a good start to something . I tried a t shirt Cannon 2 times since I've been helping and you wouldn't believe the amount of people that call b4 the pull to see of we're going to do that. Just my opinion it's things like that I think will drum up more buzz then anything.

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 28, 2019 01:46AM
I think that us older puller need to adopt a young person that maybe some what interested in pulling and let them learn how to pull. I have a couple young men that are pulling stockiest M and I hope to move them up into sometime driving my tractor. if they get excited they will tell their friends. At least that is what I hope happens.

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 28, 2019 02:45AM
I would like to have someone young to help me and learn all thet can,but where do you find anyone interested or reliable.Its hard enough to find someone just to ride along,i have had dozens of people say ( just let me know when) then you call ,and always got some excuse like wife says we need to go to walmart

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 28, 2019 03:58AM
A lot of us started pulling farm classes but thats know more.I can remember when a full pull farm class ,hot rod ss or what ever the crowd would stand up chear brand loyalty played a big part.Now to get the crowd excited and stand up someone has to blow up catch on fire or run into the grandstands its becoming just an activity to fill one night at a 7 day county fair

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 28, 2019 10:42AM
In my area about 40 years ago the average farm size was 400-800 acres...Today its 1500-4000 acres with several in the 5,000-10,000 acre range....Theres just not that many young people even growing up around tractors to get interested in tractor pulling...Most of the higher horsepower stuff in my area is pulled by 45-75 year olds...Even if young people wanted to pull, most cant afford it...Lots don't even want to get their hands dirty and are on their phones most of the time....Just about all motorsports are having similar problems or will soon have them....If it weren't for generous sponsors most of the pulls in my area would lose money...We used to get crowds of 2000 plus mostly local people by just putting up a few flyers at the local parts stores, grain elevators,and tractor dealers....Now you have to advertise everywhere and beg to get 800-1200 people with some of them coming over 100 miles....

We have a few young people pulling fairly stock classic tractors in my area but most will never progress beyond that do to the time and expense-etc...We are lucky to have a crowd of 50-100 people at these pulls...I have people tell me that tractor pulling is now just drag racing and they don't like it..So I ask them to come to a classic pull but no they don't want to because they go way to slow and its like watching paint dry.....You cant win for losing..Some antique tractor shows are dying because young people are no longer interested..I even read that the average baseball fan is 57 years old so it too is heading for problems.....I've offered to let young people pull one of my classics and they just aren't interested..Even older friends that once pulled only go to 1-2 pulls a year to watch or none at all..The times are a changing and theres no good answer..

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 28, 2019 11:34AM
This is a very good topic! All the posts have been right on the mark. From what I have seen as a modest puller and big fan. Most of the young pullers in the sport now that are pulling on a big stage are being backed by their financially set parents which own a business or a large farm. Naturally with them growing up with it they are taking over the seat for their families. Like it's been said you have to pull what you can afford. There is a younger crowd which I would say late 20's to mid 30's would like to do more.!its difficult to have a family, mortgage and everything else and cannot afford a big stage. I'm building a3000 rpm too hot to farm and I'm happy just to have that. A lot of small family farms are going out of business. So some of the youth now don't have a tractor to take even to the fair. Even going to local farm meetings the youth are not showing up. From what I have seen most are in the 70's then works down to 40 year olds not much after that. I have noticed that 3000 rpm classes are growing because it's more affordable to go play a little without a big price tag! Yes we definitely need to get the young crowd more interested in the sport!

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 29, 2019 01:10AM
Your Exactly Right, i couldn't have said if any better myself, HOPEFULLY the powers to be, the ones in charge will listen, --- it would be a first if they did , but they should look back an see where the decisions that theyve made have got the sport where its headed, an that is downhill !!!!

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 29, 2019 12:16AM
I think most of the point is being missed here....

Pulling, like all other motorsports, is not attractive on its own. If you look at NHRA drag racing or Monster Jam, the "side show" is what
attracts the youth... not the competition. Do you think NHRA has Traxxas as a sponsor just for the money??? Certainly not. Traxxas
is there to grow the future competitors of drag racing. The hope is they can inspire a few kids to learn something, work hard, and someday
decide to compete. In tractor & truck pulling, very little is being done to "inspire" the youth to want to be involve.

Yes, many of the current youth grew up in pulling. However, their parents are not all farmers. At some point, their parents were drawn to
pulling and decided to bring their family into it. Pulling is NOT a "farmer" only sport any longer. Many of the best teams have nothing
to do with farming so you cannot assume the loss of attraction has something to do with the loss of the farming population.

Maybe the management and "media" types should actually ask someone who has children their opinion. Maybe ask the children. Look
outside the competition box. Remember, not all spectators want to compete... but they certainly want to be entertained. The competition
and horsepower are definitely better than 20 years ago, so what else is missing?

As someone who makes my living from pulling... I spend a lot of time thinking about this. What do I do to inspire my kids like my dad did
for me? How do I instill the work ethic in them required to earn enough money for these things? I know one thing I can do is to encourage
them by showing them what they "can" do, not telling them what they "can not" do. Just because they do not have the money now, does
not mean they will not find the desire to have it in the future.

What is really disappointing to me is the fact that most of the decision making is done by men over 60 years old. I have learned so much
from my elders however now maybe they should ask for some help here. What do the powers that be know about what kids want these
days? From what I see the older generation who is in charge is not willing to listen to what the younger ones have to say. Hence the
current problems with the NTPA, for example.

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 29, 2019 03:21AM
gmshipper,- you are on target,same things happen at churches,only a few older people work the funerals and attend meetings,youth want so help,- take over but elders complain about new ones coming in but discipline and do all to keep others at bay because they are the old standbys,we all can work togerher to help each other

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 29, 2019 05:53AM
Sorry I posted this above, I didn't realize I was replying to Stormy post and not the last one.

This is a great thread. I am going to take a different approach and thought to promote the young puller, the new puller.

As a fan of truck and tractor pulling for many years, and coming from a family that pulling was the only thing we did in the summer, this topic hits home. I to want and will pull eventually, but at what level is unknown. As many of you have said, the cost is a big thing. Many of the people I know, have grown up watching many of the big names, wishing and basically daydreaming of the chance, the opportunity to be in there shoes. To drive that vehicle, to walk out on the dirt at Tomah or BG. But something that I know I never expected to be a part of and I think is a different route but trying to get the same result for the sport, is being involved in an event, being a promoter.

Our group in central Wisconsin, has been holding events on the local circuit going on 11 years now. In 2018, we wanted to do something to help kids, so we had a WTPA NTPA event to raise money for Back Pack for Hunger Program in local school and also helped the Ronald McDonald House. We held a coloring contest with the elementary school, had 7 pullers from WTPA picked, created coloring contest and 455 kids colored a sheet. Picked 8 winners, and them kids got to come out with their parents and meet the pullers, sit in the vehicles, talk with drivers. 2019, we are doing the same thing but with 12 schools, over 3000 kids. A weekend of events and 2 nights of pulling, local pull one night, R3/WTPA event the second. However, something I realized as we sat talked with kids last year about the pullers and as the parents stood there watching their child sit in The Wildfire Mini rod, or the Outrage FWD, or many of the other vehicles, the realization that so few know about this sport.
Everyone sees the big haulers, the amazing artwork, the sounds, and the smells of the fuel, everything that brought many of us to be consumed by this sport. However there are SO many people and kids, who know very little about it. So many know nothing about what how it works and how someone can get involved. It don't matter what level, it don't matter the what it costs, it don't matter who has the best Sassy hemi or the newest Harts Pump or the best chassis from Mr. Barbee, if the sport don't get promoted. The young puller, the new puller never gets a chance, if they don't know it's even there. Yes, this sport is driven off the latest and greatest and very very few can actually compete at the national level, but let’s not forget 95 percent of the pullers started much smaller, much cheaper and not with the best parts. Not every pulling facility is Tomah or Hillsboro or Chapel Hill, but there are ALOT of people all over the country working really hard every year, promoting, pushing and yes, even daydreaming to push this really great sport to better things.

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport April 29, 2019 07:04AM
It’s just like anything else in life, you get out of it what you put into it. Time, money, effort. Perspective is everything. What I see and what you see can be the same sometimes, different other times. Very few people in life can transcend all age groups that can span multiple decades. Think of prosperous businesses operating today. Not only do they have “boards” or “advisors” that are made up of different ages but of different races and sexes too. Something has to change somewhere and soon. Adapt and survive or stand pat and die.

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport May 03, 2019 05:38AM
I want to go pulling and love tractors but it is a lot cheaper for me to go hook my duramax with a few mods in a street class than put together a tractor hope I can get a IH together in the future

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport May 03, 2019 09:18AM
Twood, I am excited ----- drive a 560 with no power, MAY I PLEASE SIT ON YOURS,START,- DRIVE AND GO FAST????????? HAPPY SPRING .

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport May 06, 2019 01:24AM
Unheard problems where I come from:

https://www.facebook.com/daniel.hinrichs.391/videos/10218114215995021/ look at the age of the crowd!

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport May 07, 2019 04:29AM
I can’t even imagine a pulling event that had that type of atmosphere! Same sport but totally different atmosphere surrounding the event. As all pullers are beginning to realize, we are entertainment. We can attract a younger crowd and with that brings younger competitors. “I wanna be that guy out there on the track”. Get them to the event and that’ll get them on the track.

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport May 07, 2019 04:54AM
are they there to watch or just a drinking party??????????????????????????????????????

Re: Promoting the youth of our sport May 07, 2019 10:08AM
Well. actually both.
A LOT of the people in the stands actually pull that weekend.

The event started out about 14 years ago with the local football club of a tiny village (population of 253) out in the no man's land of rural northern Germany folding up due to lack of members and their training grounds being unused.
Then one guy, who was afraid things would get even more boring for the village kids and worrying they would start to do stupid things, rented the field and wondered how to get the kids busy.
The solution was having a yearly antique tractor meeting there, organized by the kids of the town.
To actually have something going on besides a swap meet and driving antique tractors in circles, they started with antique pulls like 10 years ago
They were happy to get a 1000 head crowd for that over the 5 days.

Then in I think the 5th year, they got a few hot farm tractors there and that kinda ignited the spark.
They rebuilt their track and got some more hot farm tractors there and by now also invite some of the "big guns".
Now all the fields around the old football field are used as pits for the event and they keep adding more and more dirt on the bankings.

They start the meeting on more or less Wednesday (Thursday is a national holiday) with the antique tractors rolling in. That evening it's the "campfire" with all who are already there.
Many pullers already take a few days off work to just "be there" hang out and talk BS with a few beers. It's kind of a vacation in the middle of the season with antique tractors and a ton of crazy fans and enough time to actually talk with people at the campfire. The fans also LOVE it, as they can get as close as you can get to the pullers.
Thursday they do their "antique tractor things" (drive around in circles, swap meet, BBQ & beer).

Friday night is the traditional "sound check" in the beer tent (can be summed up as "DJ and booze").

Saturday morning and afternoon it's all about antique, out of field stock and garden pulling.

Saturday night they have the "Woltman Cup", where the local tractor dealer hands out quite some prize money for a limited rpm, 2.66 turbo class and they come from everywhere. After that, it's a few exhibition runs of popular "big guns" and they then basically push the whole crowd into the beer tent.

I just went through the results of last year and there were 260 pulls just on Saturday.

Sunday again starts with stock tractors and proceeds with various hot farm and limited mod classes.

So basically they have all the "young" (and low budget) pullers there and kinda every farm kid from 50 mls around brings their tractor to the pull.

Do they party and drink a lot? Yes! It's their alternative to a music festival... but it's all about tractors.

Do we get young people into the sport that way? Hell yeah!
Do our "oldtimers" bitch and complain about it being too noisy, too much party,... yep.
Do our "oldtimers" get as many people to their events with vehicles that cost 10 times as much? Not very often.
Do our "oldtimers" have even half the fun? Doesn't look like it...
Did out oldtimers do it differently when they were young - NOT at all. I am old enough to remember how things were in the late 70s and early 80s.

In a way it's a little bit like BG - but without the "high level" competition. The big difference is, everybody can afford to pull there. Be it with a garden tractor or grandfathers 50 hp antique. And also the "competition" classes, like the 2.66 / rpm limited stuff is "achievable" for very many. We have gotten quite a few new teams from that areay in the last couple of years and some of them spend some SERIOUS money now.

Funny note on the side.
This year the event is on the same date as one of the biggest events in the Euro Cup Circuit. The younger guys of the Green Monster team told the older guys they can go on their own - they are taking their friends from school and work and go to Volkmarst instead to watch rpm limited Hot Farms instead of Hemis and Alky Burners.

[youtu.be] these are the best tractors of the Woltman Cup last year (there were 17 in the class - but not all on the video). Low budget stuff - but you can see how the crowd gets bigger and bigger during the class.
[youtu.be] this is a higher hp class - but the video shows a lot of the surroundings, too.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2019 10:40AM by Sascha.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,646, Posts: 229,713, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,904.

Our newest member JD_8520