DPS officially retired today May 31, 2019 11:52PM
When David Schreier announced his retirement, per the story on NTPA's website, today, June 1,is the day he officially retires as CEO.

I would like to read what vision the new leadership has for the organization. We can all agree changes need to occur, even if we may not agree on specifics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2019 11:53PM by The Original Michael.

Re: DPS officially retired today June 01, 2019 05:00AM
Yeeeeehawwwwwww!!!!! Maybe something will finally change.

Re: DPS officially retired today June 01, 2019 05:39AM
What exactly woukd you change and how would you change it?.. Where do you see the biggest problems and what is the solution?

Re: DPS officially retired today June 01, 2019 08:05AM
First thing I would look at is why are so many pullers have moved to PPL over the last 10 years. What happened,.basically the shows are the same, same style sleds, same fans, all the same . NTPA has great safety rules, first class tracks, the biggest show in all pulling with Bowling Green, yet the bleeding hasn't stop. If I wanted to really know I would start asking the pullers, what do we need to do to get you guys/gals back. Did we treat you like subcontractors or did we treat you like valued partners. Maybe it's time for a little soul searching, a hard look at all aspects of the organization.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2019 10:43AM by Dick Morgan.

Re: DPS officially retired today June 01, 2019 09:12AM
In the super stock class we tried 30 yrs ago for that same thing and were plainly told no way were they going backwards. Now see what mess they have.the haves and the have nots there was even talk of a claiming race type thing and they wouldn't here of it. This is why the ( lower eshalon classes) have become more popular LLSS light pro stock hot farm

Re: Former NTPA pulls now with PPL June 02, 2019 03:10PM
Dick Morgan
First thing I would look at is why are so many pullers have moved to PPL over the last 10 years. What happened,.basically the shows are the same, same style sleds, same fans, all the same . NTPA has great safety rules, first class tracks, the biggest show in all pulling with Bowling Green, yet the bleeding hasn't stop. If I wanted to really know I would start asking the pullers, what do we need to do to get you guys/gals back. Did we treat you like subcontractors or did we treat you like valued partners. Maybe it's time for a little soul searching, a hard look at all aspects of the organization.

Here is a controversial question about PPL, one change NTPA really needs to make, and a thought about Puller Magazine. I need confirmation if the current NTPA pre-commit stuff below is correct as it's based on things I've read in the past, but am not 100% positive.

Regarding PPL, there is one thing I've wondered about when pull switches from NTPA to PPL from the promoter's side of the equation. I've read/heard multiple pullers talk about how PPL Champions Tour pays a higher purse than NTPA Grand National. (Not talking about contingency payouts for an extra $100 for winning, but actual purse).

Does PPL reimburse/incentivize former NTPA promoters when they change sanction? The facility is the same size, so no more seats than before. If the purse is larger, it stands to reason it's a more expensive event to promote. The promoter would need to either A) sell more seats; B ) raise ticket prices, C) both, or D) receive a little help from sources other than attendance and ticket prices to make the same money. So...... when a promoter switches from NTPA to PPL, with more purse to pay out and same size venue, how to they financially make it work to bring in the same $ (or more) than before?

Regarding NTPA's Pre-commitment program, in theory it's a good idea. In practice, it's a mess. I have no problem paying pullers a little extra for traveling across the country, etc. Years ago when the pre-commit program was established, I read that to fund it, the money was taken from the purse. That is a huge issue, if true (This is where people which historical knowledge about the beginnings of the Pre-Commit program can confirm or set me straight if incorrect). The purse for a Grand National pull should be at the highest level. Any pre-commit money should come from either the promoter independent of the purse (but would lead to more expense... not the best idea), or a better idea is a Precommit (or GN presenting) sponsor who will fund the pre-commit program, totally separate from the purse and points programs.

Ideally, there could be both a series title sponsor and precommit sponsor (Think Copenhagen-Skoal Pulling Circuit presented by Wrangler, with one paying the points fund and the other the pre-commit. I know tobacco companies can't sponsor anymore due to the 1999 Bill Clinton/Janet Reno tobacco deal and Wrangler likely isn't coming back, those are just for an example). Bottom line- PPL has managed to get a full schedule paying a higher purse, and NTPA needs to think outside the box. If an unnamed person truly did say one time that "if you give pullers more money, they'll just spend it," that unnamed person should have abdicated a long time ago. That thinking just doesn't comport with reality.

One final idea- The Puller was a great magazine to have growing up, but in a more digital age where results, photos, and stories can be permanent without paying for printing, paper, and postage, does it make sense to spend the $ for a monthly print publication in 2019? How much revenue does the magazine bring in via ads and subscriptions vs the costs, including labor for the people producing it?

Edited 11 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2019 10:54PM by The Original Michael.

Re: Former NTPA pulls now with PPL June 03, 2019 01:59AM
I am a Promoter and to be diligent business man, I have looked into both organizations...and the cost is nearly identical for an apples to apples show. Lucas kicks in most of the extra money paid at the shows. This is a huge boon for PPL, but is owned by Lucas Oil anyway so would be expected. Both Organizations offer excellent shows, and do a great job running them. A lot of the time the decisions come down to availability of Organizations and Classes.

BB

Re: DPS officially retired today June 02, 2019 05:38PM
Dick I have noticed there's a lot of pullers sticking to the regional organizations. Both PPL and Ntpa have lost pullers to the set backs of farming and the high cost of fuel.(Last years drought and now this years flooding at least in my area) Just my opinion based on what I have seen with Shamricks and some LSS pulling alot with the Western Series

Just a Thought June 01, 2019 08:09AM
This is just a thought! Grand National Pulling Vehicles should have open limits on the engine. Region and State pulls should have Lower limits on engine than Grand National Level. Grand National pulling vehicles should NOT be allowed to pull Region or State hooks unless they run the lower limits. Here is why, High school football players don't play against College or Pro's football players. John Force Racing don't race against your local boy's. I believe you need State, Region and Grand National levels of pulling to have different limits so pullers can choose the level of pulling they can afford. It's hard for the Blue Collar Puller to Compete at State and Regional Events when a Grand National pulling vehicle shows up at the event. Something needs to change to keep our pulling sport affordable for the puller with limited income !

Re: Just a Thought June 01, 2019 03:15PM
PULLMX
This is just a thought! Grand National Pulling Vehicles should have open limits on the engine. Region and State pulls should have Lower limits on engine than Grand National Level. Grand National pulling vehicles should NOT be allowed to pull Region or State hooks unless they run the lower limits. Here is why, High school football players don't play against College or Pro's football players. John Force Racing don't race against your local boy's. I believe you need State, Region and Grand National levels of pulling to have different limits so pullers can choose the level of pulling they can afford. It's hard for the Blue Collar Puller to Compete at State and Regional Events when a Grand National pulling vehicle shows up at the event. Something needs to change to keep our pulling sport affordable for the puller with limited income !

I agree with this concept, with the addition that the limits must be structured in such a way that there is a "ladder" or "staircase" from entry level, to National level.
An example would be the SM2WD class:.
At the national level, there would be the same or similar chassis rules as now, with no rules on engines other than those needed for safety (yes, I think I could possibly
consider Allison, or other industrial or aircraft engines the weight limit would be the controlling factor). I would also allow electronic injection and/or engine controls.

At the region level, the chassis rules would remain the same as the National rules, however, engines would be limited to automotive type, 572 cui, and a limit on
supercharger size and overdrive. No electronic injection or engine controls allowed.

At the state level, all of the above, but with a stricter limit on supercharger size and overdrive, possibly a lower cubic inch, as well.

Etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2019 03:15PM by ABOBB.

Re: Just a Thought June 01, 2019 03:25PM
Well, Dick, you are implying that PPL does not have "basically the shows are the same, same style sleds, same fans, all the same". Sorry to burst you bubble, but certainly they do, too. And just where did many of those pullers originally come from - NTPA / ATPA. So what has changed appearance wise in their shows vs. NTPA? Nothing.

In fact, what sanctioning body pulling show is really (much) different at their future events. Basically, same vehicles, same show.

Re: Just a Thought June 01, 2019 10:57PM
I'm not really sure what your point is concerning my post. I believe that if you reread my post you see that I am saying that all the shows are basically the same. In fact there is no difference between the shows that the NTPA puts on vs the PPL shows. I'm not sure that the retirement of David P will mean any big changes or for that matter any changes at all. In order for something to change the person/people in change need to see that something needs to change! That brings me back to my original point being, why do the pullers leave the NTPA?

Re: Just a Thought June 02, 2019 12:11AM
Why different rules for the three level s thats where the problems begin the State level rules can save money across the board and put on the same show.The distance involved that one wants to travel is a deciding factor itself.people complain and talk about so many classes .Thee levels state .regional and national devides 1 class of SS into 3 classes CALL THEM MILD MEDIUM AND MEAN SUPER STOCK for the 3 levels

Re: Just a Thought June 02, 2019 04:17AM
The purse at Tomah hasn't changed in 25 years. But the ticket prices, entry fees and concession prices sure have. And then your regional winners have to beg that same sanction to at least break even on their entry/tech fees? And then you ban a team that has been your poster boy for decades and has pulled with your organization for 30+ years over some rule book garbege. Why would anyone want to pull with them?

Re: Just a Thought June 02, 2019 01:01AM
I'll tell you whats changed appearance wise, the size of the payout !!!!! Not even comparable !!!!

Re: Just a Thought June 02, 2019 03:38AM
Sorry to disagree with you dick but think are plenty of differences between a NTPA show and a PPL show for one PPL hardly ever has two tracks two day events or a variety of classes. They also seem to virtually never have pull offs

Re: Just a Thought June 02, 2019 05:21AM
Wrong; do you really think that a 2 track event vs a 1 track event or the fact that PPL does not offer as many classes as NTPA is really that big a difference? I'm talking about the vast majority of pullers that can hook in either organization. With a few exceptions almost every pullers that hooks in a class that PPL offers can go from the NTPA to PPL with no difficulty. What I am talking about is those classes that are virtually the same the NTPA should have larger numbers than they do. In fact NTPA numbers keep falling and PPL numbers keep growing. Why?

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Just a Thought June 02, 2019 07:16AM
Take the NTPA show over ppl anyday! Pulloffs is one reason. Unlimited and SSD in another! Mod class in ppl was built by guys running from Bill Voreis a few years back. Name one class ppl started. They just poach from NTPA. Been to a couple ppl shows and have been to my last! Have one 40 minutes from home next weekend and won't be going. If ppl is so great how do you explain the difference in attendance at The Fort last year for events a few weeks apart, and according to you basically the same show? Glad the pullers have options, but don't forget the fans do too!

Re: Just a Thought June 02, 2019 07:31AM
Not to drag this post out forever, however the best thing that PPL did was adopt the NTPA rules. The NTPA does a great job of making good rules for the most part. In fact pulling would be much better off with a national set of rules for every class.And if your favorite classes are Unl. Mod and or DSS then you will most certainly be a NTPA fan.

Re: Just a Thought June 02, 2019 07:47AM
I don't understand why fans just can't appreciate both organizations instead of bashing one over the other. Both organizations put on good shows that are worth every penny. But Dick, I do understand that NTPA is losing numbers to PPL and I don't have the first clue why other than $$$.

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Re: Just a Thought June 02, 2019 08:40AM
What's wrong with NTPA is the numbers on those checks they handed out last night, crazy that anyone would drive from WI to NC to attempt to win $1100.

Re: Just a Thought June 02, 2019 09:22AM
Brent; well said!

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Just a Thought June 02, 2019 08:42AM
Fan
Take the NTPA show over ppl anyday! Pulloffs is one reason. Unlimited and SSD in another! Mod class in ppl was built by guys running from Bill Voreis a few years back. Name one class ppl started. They just poach from NTPA. Been to a couple ppl shows and have been to my last! Have one 40 minutes from home next weekend and won't be going. If ppl is so great how do you explain the difference in attendance at The Fort last year for events a few weeks apart, and according to you basically the same show? Glad the pullers have options, but don't forget the fans do too!

NTPA left my part of the country so I'm glad that we have PPL and Outlaws to chose from...As for pulloffs I don't need them...In my area they are pretty much a thing of the past..

Re: Just a Thought June 03, 2019 12:43PM
We need all the llss pullers we can get to make it go National so go traction control EFI and anything else that can be thought of into those classes.We are getting more and more of the dropped out big boys in our class every year.And know one is stepping up to the plate to replace them which in return LLSS will eventually take over the big show fans are tired of 3 or 4 tractor shows

Re: Just a Thought June 03, 2019 02:21PM
Fan

Literally.... every diesel truck class that NTPA recognizes, were "nationalized" with either ATPA, or PPL.

Re: Just a Thought June 05, 2019 03:29PM
Come on Lewis. Dont ruin the class before it really gets rolling. Your right about one thing there will be a day for this class at some GM. Events this is still a working mans class please leave it that way

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,766, Posts: 229,932, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,025.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM