Tomah LSS and brand variety June 23, 2019 02:31PM
21 total entries for the weekend.
Breakdown- 8 Case/IH: 5 JD: 2 Agco/AC; 4 Ford/NH; 1 Case; 1 White

That's a pretty good representation of different brands.

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 23, 2019 02:46PM
Todays young farmers are getting more acquainted with the brands such as Kabota .MAHINDRA., Mf,CAT and such for a light tractor all OF those you mentioned are old school back in my day wheres the variety

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 23, 2019 03:23PM
Lewis Conner
Todays young farmers are getting more acquainted with the brands such as Kabota .MAHINDRA., Mf,CAT and such for a light tractor all OF those you mentioned are old school back in my day wheres the variety

I can't speak for other areas of the country, but the ones at Tomah are the ones I see in fields of Indiana.

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 24, 2019 02:07AM
How’d the White do in the class? I know he got 2nd last year....Wondered if he backed it up this year...

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 24, 2019 05:11AM
Last year Hootman took 2nd and no White tractor ran. The only White that ran was the Hull's ReMachined. They had some breakage and only went about 250' and then scratched for session two.

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 24, 2019 03:49PM
Take a drive out of the corn belt sometimes where the hamburgers,pork chops.and the chickens grow

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 24, 2019 04:21AM
Not in Nebraska. Young farmers in Nebraska farm with JD or Case IH, and maybe a NH or Agco here or there. And that's about it.

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 24, 2019 05:09AM
Precisely. Not sure what illusion Lewis is under where the imports have become the mainstay......

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 24, 2019 10:06AM
maybe in your neck of the woods but here in the hills and hollers the mahindras and Kubota are popping up everywhere, there are still red, green,blue and the other red but the foreign tractors have made a large dent in the population, but the again they sell a different hp group here than they do there.

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 23, 2019 02:50PM
atleast 11 red engines if not 13

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 23, 2019 11:14PM
Thanks for pointing out the sad facts......I was just about to ask that. This is what the lovely cross dressing rule gets you. Lewis spouts constantly about off brand sheet metal being the next great thing to keep young interested in the sport......may as well let it happen, can’t make it any worse than it is now.

But hey, I guess it was still a good class if you ignore the engine/sheet metal thing.

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 24, 2019 04:16AM
Just like Louisville, top 3 were red, orange and blue. All 3 red engines though lol.

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 24, 2019 05:43AM
The Commander does not have a red block.

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 24, 2019 06:16AM
What block is Alter Ego (NH) running?

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 24, 2019 08:22AM
Red

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 25, 2019 04:02AM
Commander was not in the top 3. Phillips, Terry, Wilhite. All red motors

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 25, 2019 04:04AM
Commander was 3rd the first night.

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 24, 2019 10:15AM
Are they really red? I'd assume most the red guys are running hypermax, not much of any color in anything anymore.

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 24, 2019 10:42AM
I know there is a green 1 running an IH engine for sure

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 24, 2019 10:55AM
It's a block and only a block. Took me while to accept different sheet metal too. However, there is NOTHING jd or ih or new Holland etc in these things. They are race tractors using all custom made parts from the hitch to the front weight bracket. They are a marvel to look at the ingenuity that goes into these. Honestly, it's fun to see different sheet metal (actually carbon fiber and aluminum) for variety. It's just a block. One day it will be billet blocks. Does it matter? Nahh. The fun part is how awesome they run and the wild rides and sharp exterior flavors. Just enjoy the show.

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 24, 2019 11:22AM
Earnesttbass
It's a block and only a block. Took me while to accept different sheet metal too. However, there is NOTHING jd or ih or new Holland etc in these things. They are race tractors using all custom made parts from the hitch to the front weight bracket. They are a marvel to look at the ingenuity that goes into these. Honestly, it's fun to see different sheet metal (actually carbon fiber and aluminum) for variety. It's just a block. One day it will be billet blocks. Does it matter? Nahh. The fun part is how awesome they run and the wild rides and sharp exterior flavors. Just enjoy the show.

It'd be a different if you didn't have announcers that were trying to hype up the battle between brands. Or the uniqueness of a vehicle sporting sheet metal of an "off-brand" tractor.

If it's "just a block," then the announcers I hear all summer should never have to utter the phrase "here's one for all you John Deere fans." Ever. Again.

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 24, 2019 01:25PM
Not trying to be argumentative but seriously is the block make it a John deere or an ih? It doesn't in mine. I just enjoy the high performance aspect of it. If it ran I wouldn't care if it was pink (well maybe that's taking it too far). Just having some fun pulling. Let the announcers have their fun with the sheet metal. Pullers and serious fans know what is really under the hoods.

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 24, 2019 01:42PM
Well said Earnestbass. You said what I was thinking even better than I could.

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 29, 2019 04:47AM
They are. All race tractors does not matter what's in them . red. green yellow the people don't care or know the difference. All want to have fun and put on a show that is what the people want.

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 24, 2019 09:25AM
Was a great class. Over half those tractors could have won. Great pulloff on 2nd session. Red Thunder by a 1/16 of an inch over the Alter Ego tractor in the 1st session made for 2 great sessions of LSS. Congrats to the Mondovi crew.

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 24, 2019 12:51PM
Well what about the driver/owner wanting to show his personal preference and personality a little bit with varying sheet metal. I think it’s still a way to let the fans relate to different machines and like something different. And a competitor a chance to show brand “loyalty” but still set them up for success which is what all competitors are in the sport for...

And as far as the announcers...They’re also trying to entertain and bring variety to what info they present, so when they get an opportunity to talk about something different and get the fans involved, you can’t blame them for that. In fact, I think that’s something a good announcer should try to do...

I try not to look at the negative in all of it all. I know it’s not what it used to be... But it doesn’t mean it’s all bad either

I see the advantages and disadvantages. Just try to give the everyone the benefit of the doubt and focus on the positive...

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 24, 2019 12:56PM
Oh...And my mistake on the White...He pulls in the Limited Pro class

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 24, 2019 04:30PM
That would be Kevin Engelking and Dark Horse

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 25, 2019 01:41AM
Being at tomah and watching Friday and Friday night sessions, I noticed something.. The fans, just fans... which make up probably 95 percent of the crowds at ever pull, don't know or care what the motor is. They are there to watch there brand of truck tractor whatever class it is pull. The fan, that comes and pays the admission year after year so the puller has a place to pull, see's ford, IH Chevy Dodge. If the motor in a john deere is an IH motor and it's painted green, is that going to change the opinion of someone who don't know the difference? Does it change the opinion of the majority of fans, when a Chevy FWD has a Sonny's Hemi? they are cheering for there favorite brand, favorite puller, class, whatever it may be.

The Lgt Class at Tomah had good variety, had good power and put on a good show.

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 25, 2019 02:08AM
While I understand completely the point you and others are making, there are fans who do know the difference and it does matter. They walk the pits, know what they are looking at and ask questions. Those are the ones who are disillusioned and disappointed.

I respect the fact that the owner is building to win, and they run great for sure, but when you know the brands it is very disappointing.

I still enjoy watching, just am always questioning “was that really a ____________ (insert JD/IH/NH.....etc)?”

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 25, 2019 02:49AM
Had a friend in high school that put a 350 Chevy in a Datsun pickup. No one complained when he took them for a ride and they saw how it performed!

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 25, 2019 03:49AM
I don't disagree. As I have been around this sport for years, I ask the same questions. But as whole, the majority of the fans see the outside, see their brand and if that brand wins that's what they see. Pulling is always compared to NHRA, NASCAR. I can't speak for nascar because I don't know engine rules.. but NHRA puts any type of brand body the owner wants. But engine.. is that a Chevy ford or Toyota motor? I believe they are all hemi. For years, john force racing's fans knew him as a ford driver with a hemi engine and in interviews he would say how that old ford went down through there. So if Alter Ego has a IH motor, and he says my ford/NH Holland made a nice pass, whats the difference? What is the difference between that or the truck classes with majority running hemi style engine. isn't that still brand jumping?

The rules may have upset pullers and a small amount of fans, but if your talking about promoting this sport and keeping the fan interested, as a whole I don't think this has had that much of an impact. Technology changes, and we complain we don't like cookie cutter vehicles all the same, this is one way to not have a class of same tractor, from fan perspective. With all do respect to the Chizek team, after a while, winning or not, it gets old watching essentially the same tractor go down the track 4 times. The all run great look good, but look the same. Honestly I could care less if they all had same engine., but if there was was 21 and a variety of color and they put on a show. Ill take it. If a fan goes to a pull and see's 21 but 6 of the 21 are way out ahead.. well next year the fan may say not wasting the admission for that or promoter may say its not worth having.

Thanks for debate.

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 25, 2019 04:13AM
I guess it’s entirely my problem that I don’t like it then.

I know when I’m in a restaurant and the have a Heinz ketchup bottle, but it ain’t Heinz ketchup inside, I sure know it!! This is no different. That’s the thing about brands.....they can make you loyal.

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 25, 2019 01:28PM
Yes and no
I know when I’m in a restaurant and the have a Heinz ketchup bottle, but it ain’t Heinz ketchup inside, I sure know it!! This is no different. That’s the thing about brands.....they can make you loyal.

So if the announcer doesn’t make a big deal about the motor beneath the sheet metal and it’s a tractor you’ve never seen before, how exactly do you tell that the curtains don’t match the drapes? In that moment, YOU DON’T KNOW. You just know that that red/green/orange/whatever tractor made a good pass, you cheered for it, and it entertained you.

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 25, 2019 01:55PM
Theft by deception my friend if someone wanted to get a lawyer involved

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 25, 2019 02:05PM
Yes and no
I guess it’s entirely my problem that I don’t like it then.

Just like the Heinz Ketchup bottle does not make it Heinz Ketchup, the block does not make NH, IH or John Deere. It is what's inside as you have referenced with ketchup. We all know at this level there is nothing NH, IH or John Deere inside that block. You would have to go to the local brush pull to find these and even then most are modified.

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 25, 2019 11:05PM
So, if the contents are what you reference as the key to making things happen, why then are many migrating to a different container? What was so wrong with the original container that you couldn't make it happen?

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 28, 2019 06:02AM
Hummin Cummins
Well what about the driver/owner wanting to show his personal preference and personality a little bit with varying sheet metal. I think it’s still a way to let the fans relate to different machines and like something different. And a competitor a chance to show brand “loyalty” but still set them up for success which is what all competitors are in the sport for...

And as far as the announcers...They’re also trying to entertain and bring variety to what info they present, so when they get an opportunity to talk about something different and get the fans involved, you can’t blame them for that. In fact, I think that’s something a good announcer should try to do...

I try not to look at the negative in all of it all. I know it’s not what it used to be... But it doesn’t mean it’s all bad either

I see the advantages and disadvantages. Just try to give the everyone the benefit of the doubt and focus on the positive...

I have said it before, but I will say it here again because it still applies:

There's a reason why people have a different reaction for Carlton Cope and the Warpath than they do for the Hart's and the Beyond Limits tractor.
What is the biggest difference between the two machines?

I'm all for the pullers picking their personal preference [amazing alliteration, anyone?] because they are the ones who have invested the money, but I think it's not too much to ask for that the block match the sheet metal. Since nothing else about the tractor is brand-centric, couldn't they at least give us nuts one piece that matches the stickers on the side? Tougue Out

Regarding announcers: What would be wrong with an announcer talking about the awesome MM G1000 sheet metal on the next vehicle while ALSO mentioning that there is a John Deere block underneath that's providing all of that raw horsepower? Why do we act as if this admission of fact is verboten? Wouldn't this also be providing the fans with more information and possibly get them more involved?

I don't think that pulling is "all bad"--even if my posts on here do trend on the negative side of things. If I thought things were so terrible, I wouldn't spend all of my summer running around the country filming tractor pulls.

I guess I'm just "stuck in the past" where a Full Pull is still 300 foot. LOL!

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 28, 2019 08:21AM
Lyle hall has moline engine in his mini mo tractor I believe and does a nice job against all the tractors

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 29, 2019 09:06AM
I'm right there with you John. I know some people don't care what's under the hood but to me it matters. The more cross dressers there are in a class the more I seem to be losing interest in that class.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 29, 2019 12:45PM
Pulling is just about a dead horse the only ones who cares about it are what few pullers that's left.Just like county fairs are on there way out todays Generation has to many options when the county fairs go tractor pulling goes with it

Re: Tomah LSS and brand variety June 29, 2019 01:21PM
One more post.... again not trying to be argumentative. There are reasons why pullers who want to be competitive put different brand sheet metal than the brand of the stock cast block. In practically every tractor class there is an inherent advantage to one brand over another. Things such as a stronger block, bore centers, valve size, cross flow heads, etc come into play. So a puller (who wants to compete to win) has a couple of choices: build a color they prefer or build one with an advantage. If a person isn't worried about winning it won't matter the color. If a person wants a chance at winning but likes one brand of color but it happens to be at a disadvantage they will have to put a different chunk of cast in it. I am not saying you can't win with an "off brand" tractor but it is definitely harder and harder to keep together.

The fan also has to decide. If this chunk of cast matters to them they will either have to quit going or go to farm stock pulling events. If u say well I can watch a limited class to avoid cross dressing then that rules out a lot of top level pulling classes. I agree several top level classes are hurting. Maybe some rule changes will help. Time will tell.
Or a fan can say I realize there really is nothing stock in any of them except a chunk of cast so I may as well enjoy the horsepower show. That's where I am. Everyone can make up their own mind.

I hope people can see high level pulling for what it is...monstrous horsepower and trying to hook up to a track with it. Sure is fun. LSS class seems pretty good wherever you travel. I like the direction of the Light Pro Stock class too. Even different brand tractors can be at a disadvantage there too. I simply hope all the fans will keep watching these machines that produce incredible horsepower flying down the track. A time of enjoyment to get away from the stresses of life. Hope everyone has a fun and safe 4th.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,636, Posts: 229,701, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,902.

Our newest member JD_8520