Does the carpet match the drapes? August 05, 2019 09:35AM
Or in this case does the engine match the tin

I know the rules that allow any brand block in any brand tractor have been discussed a lot on here. I also know there are folks on both sides. Many like myself are brand loyal and dislike these rules. I have also seen others defend it saying it brings more color, none of the components are factory anyway so it doesn't matter etc.

I could debate that brands are what drive the sport and put a lot of fans in the stands, but that is not the point of my post. The point is the following. i have yet to hear an announcer tell the crowd when the carpet doesn't match the drapes and fans who do care don't always get a chance to look behind the side shields so how about a listing of all the tractors that are running a block that has no connection to the brand of sheet metal they are running.

This popped into my mind over the weekend as a group of fans discussed whether D2 and Billet Binder were still IH power or had gone to John Deere.

So if you know reply with tractors that carpet don't match the drapes.

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 05, 2019 09:44AM
Work Horse
Beyond Limits
Extra Butter
Cotton Picking Deere
The Haunted
Wheat Fed
Lone Avenger

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 05, 2019 12:55PM
Doug messingers scrappy, Bob Gansmeres Ruttin Deere, Taylor Van Beeks Revered, Brian Bowels Alter ego,that’s all I can think of at the moment.

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 05, 2019 02:30PM
I truly give credit to those who have stuck to what belongs in their tractor. I don't even like a big block Deere under 55 series sheet metal and I'm a green guy. It's just wrong.

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 06, 2019 01:38PM
Most of you are missing the point of the topic that Brand Loyal started. It's not about the rules (that's can be a separate topic). This is simply a list of tractors running other color blocks.

I think it would be cool to have the list not only have their names but what sheetmetal they run and what block is under that sheetmetal. Wheatfed running a Big Block John Deere block under Moline G1000 sheetmetal wouldn't surprise many but Cotton Pickin Deere running a Hypermax (IH Recast) block under the Deere Hood might surprise some.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 06, 2019 03:10PM
Just curious jake what engine combinations are hootmans using this year. Did they stay all Ford or go with something aftermarket!

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 07, 2019 12:14PM
Aftermarket billet block built to Ford/New Holland specs.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 07, 2019 01:05PM
Are they going to start putting them in there new tractors since built to there specs

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 07, 2019 01:15PM
They are built to the Ford/New Holland specs for the 474 block that Ford used (bore spacing, deck height, etc.... It swings a 401/456/474 crank). The block is aftermarket and has no affiliation with New Holland. It's no different than any of the other aftermarket blocks being used today, it's just a billet Ford clone.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 01:16PM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 07, 2019 03:03AM
Jake Morgan
Cotton Pickin Deere running a Hypermax (IH Recast) block under the Deere Hood might surprise some.

It's not a Hyper it's a HD Specialities block configured on the 400 series IH. The same block Work Horse was running last year and the same block the Billet Binder has been running since 2015.

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 06, 2019 03:22PM
Rob Russell’s Work Horse has a Deere in it? Say it isn’t so!!!

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 27, 2019 03:20AM
Disappointed
Rob Russell’s Work Horse has a Deere in it? Say it isn’t so!!!

Riverside Engines built his motor. I think Brad Moss installed it with a new inner cooler and put air ride on the Engler chassis too.

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 27, 2019 04:02AM
Did it occur to anyone that these recast blocks (and heads) are NOT OEM? They are no more JD or IH than bolting in a Briggs & Stratton. At the end of the day a person has to decide if they want to watch OEM pulling tractors or race tractors. If you want OEM there is a thousand local organizations full of them. If you want race tractors then go to any of the big organization's pulls. Simple as that. To nitpick if a race tractor has OEM block on it and that makes you happy then so be it. You can say I enjoyed watching the race tractor pull with that OEM or recast block in it. It's NOT a JD or IH tractor you just watched it is a custom motor filled with billet parts. Hard to understand how anyone would get hung up on whether it has a OEM block and that makes it a JD or IH. Head scratcher.

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 27, 2019 04:31AM
"Did it occur to anyone that these recast blocks (and heads) are NOT OEM? They are no more JD or IH than bolting in a Briggs & Stratton"

Did it ever occur to you that the re-cast and billet versions are essentially copies of the existing manufacturer block with improvements for durability? They are still very much rooted in their manufacturer design line.

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 27, 2019 04:44AM
So the pistons,etc are similar designs but does that make them a JD? Just saying NOTHING is oem. Copies are not oem.

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 28, 2019 08:29AM
That is true not OEM, but still parts based on a specific brands equipment. Therefore the fan can still find some heritage back to a brand.

Would it be good for pulling if pro-stock and super-stock sheet metal became more like monster jam bodies? That resembled no brand? To about 95% of the people I know who are fans and attend pulls it matters.

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 05, 2019 04:51PM
I've got it!! We need a compulsory census for all grand national pulling tractors.
1: name of tractor:_____________
2: brand of sheet metal:______________
3: brand of engine block:______________
Then using a (yet to be developed) phone app, users can plug in their preferred criteria, (match or no match), then select a particular tractor and presto, feel confident in knowing what you're seeing go down the track.

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 06, 2019 12:34AM
What if their block is recast? Do they have to announce that too? What about their turbo? Cylinder head? Not much, if any is green or red on these tractors unless you get into the lower HP classes.

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 06, 2019 04:47AM
I agree nothing left on these as came from the factory, but the block has to be a tractor block or recast based on a production block.(Getting into those rules is not the point of the post) Therefore since nothing else on the tractors are factory the engine is the only thing that really attaches them to a brand. I understand brands don't matter to some, but they do for others.

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 06, 2019 05:25AM
In my opinion it doesn’t matter. The crowd likes variety and if that means having a 4 charger binder motor wrapped in Minneapolis Moline sheet metal then by all means go with it! Not everyone in the crowd likes John Deere or IH. You have your MM, Oliver, Massey and Allis Chalmers fans too.

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 06, 2019 05:53AM
If you want odd....you ought to build a G3400 Hercules to the hilt! But it’s very satisfying to say “hell naw it ain’t a Cummins”

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 06, 2019 05:25AM
In my opinion this whole debate can go away real easy. Put the sheet metal that matches the make of the block. First argument is the cost. What is the cost? I don't know but it is less than the 50-100k to change motor combination. Second class color. Only an idiot is going to believe that anyone is building a MM prostock with a moline block and be at the top of the class. I am sorry but I wasn't born yesterday. I am sorry but the argument of money and color to me don't hold any water

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 06, 2019 05:33AM
Having the metal match the motor will give you either a completely red or completely green class dependent on which class we are talking about (PS/ULSS/LSS). Sad but true. There are only a couple of standouts from those classes that are not either one or the other.

One of the very few national tractor classes that has to have engine and sheet metal match is SF.....and thank goodness they do. I sincerely appreciate that. Because as much as some keep saying the fans don't care, you can stop painting us all with that brush any day now!!!! I am a fan who cares.

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 06, 2019 06:57AM
Then if we go back to carpet matching the drapes (very funny analogy) shouldn't the sheet metal match the ACTUAL block it came with? Therefore, if you use new model sheet metal that DIDN'T come with a 466 (IH or Deere) block you have to use the ACTUAL block that came with that sheet metal? LOTS of problems with this thought. Do we really want to see all IH 1066 hoods? I know there are other model hoods that did use 466 block but you get the idea.

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 06, 2019 07:05AM
Yes, that would be one large amount of the same hood.

I think it's been said here before....."how long until it's similar to Nascar: here's your generic no brand specific block and head, here's your ci limit, here's your turbo and fuel pump limits, have fun".

We're almost there.

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 06, 2019 09:12AM
You realize the majority of Motorsports have been running 100% custom engine for years. I don't see people complaining about the engines in 2wd/4wd trucks or any of the modified. If you allow any other than oem factory block/ head it should be 100% open game for anything cast billet whatever the competitor wants. You should just let people build their own engines from the ground up with very little limits. Rules should be like the follow.

prostock tractor
xxx cubic inch
single turbo
diesel
24.5 tires
10,000lbs
xxx wheelbase
then safety rules

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 06, 2019 09:19AM
Heck you don't even know what's what in a hot farm class around here. I don't like being painted with the broad brush either. I've been a fan since 1975 and I still and always will be a fan of it is a Deere with a Deere motor etc.. People at fair pulls would ask me what's the difference in classes and I can't even do that now leave alone what motor is in it. I would say it makes things even more confusing. Has attendance been proven to go up with all this cross dressing ?

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 27, 2019 04:37AM
I pull a IH with a IH block,John Deere 466 rods,6030 John Deere pistons, and 3306 Cat sleeves....What do I really have?

Re: Does the carpet match the drapes? August 27, 2019 04:49AM
A PULLING TRACTOR. Who cares if not oem. If I want to watch oem I go local. I like both. We have choices.

Re: Enquiring minds want to know.... August 26, 2019 01:46PM
....what is the carpet aka block used in Hart’s D2 PS? Read this post awhile back and no one has answered definitively.

While looking at results of Terra Haute, it rattled my memory and I noticed Ken Couch’s High Cotton was IH branded. Is this true, red carpet green drapes?

They always have strong runners, just always assumed it was Deere carpet.

Good topic Brand Loyal! My opinion, Quirky rules should be explained during the pull, such as this misleading rule to novice fans.

Re: Enquiring minds want to know.... August 26, 2019 01:58PM
Well Hart’s and D2 are 2 different machines, Hart’s Massey Ferguson uses a big block John Deere while Hunts D2 Case IH uses a recast IH 400 series block .

Re: Enquiring minds want to know.... August 28, 2019 11:10AM
There is no reason in light pro or limited pro that if someone wanted to build a different color they couldn’t. Most already are represented! Leave sheet metal the way it is don’t water down another class. Especially two that have steadily grown with the rules they’ve had since conception. Do you think people would respect Carlton Copes success if it was another Deere motor?? Heck NO! Quit letting engine builders and pullers push their own agendas. Do what’s best for pulling.

Re: Enquiring minds want to know.... August 26, 2019 02:02PM
Correct me if I am wrong, however I believe D2 PS, belongs to Darren Hunt, not Harts. Also, I would bet it has a Harvester power plant or a Billet or recast replacement block and not a Deere block.

Re: Enquiring minds want to know.... August 26, 2019 02:49PM
Both of Couch’s are red powered

Re: Enquiring minds want to know.... August 27, 2019 04:57AM
NASCAR went down this road and totally eliminated any brand loyalty and how's that working for them?

Re: Enquiring minds want to know.... August 27, 2019 05:31AM
You absolutely nailed it, Dick!!! They've been in a tail spin ever since.

Re: Enquiring minds want to know.... August 28, 2019 01:26PM
What is "this road" in reference to?

Re: Enquiring minds want to know.... August 28, 2019 01:30PM
tHE road to nobody cares anymore and a lot wouldnt pis in the cold rain to go se

Re: Enquiring minds want to know.... August 28, 2019 11:09PM
The road refers to the timeline that has occurred in NASCAR with respect to the dwindling crowds, cars that are all the same aside from sponsor and color, and the lack of caring about the series or the "chase" (or whatever trendy name they give it now).

Re: Enquiring minds want to know.... August 29, 2019 01:02PM
ok

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2019 01:04PM by Lewis Conner.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,738, Posts: 229,877, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,086, Posts: 225,989.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM