NTPA Rule Changes That Go In Effect For 2020 September 16, 2019 08:44AM
General rules:

1. 2019 rulebook pg 18, letter C, number 12 b, now reads:
All automotive-type engines with bellhousings and clutch will run a full block plate, either a unit commercially available, or minimum 3/16-inch steel, or minimum 1/4 inch aluminum with (6) 3/8-inch Grade #5 bolts evenly spaced on the bottom of the bellhousing. Bellhousing must be fastened with a minimum 3/8" grade #5 bolt installed in each bellhousing mounting hole as manufactured. All bellhousing mounting bolts must pass through block plate or at least fasten block plate to bellhousing.”

2. 2019 rulebook pg 24, letter G now reads:
Automotive engine is any engine or its replica available in a passenger car. Maximum of (8) cylinders. Maximum supercharger size: 14-71, 19-inch rotor case length, 11.25-inch rotor case width. Helix restricted to a maximum rotor spiral of 6.5 degrees per inch of rotor length. Variable multi-speed supercharger devices prohibited.”

3. Add to 2019 rulebook pg 41, letter R:
Pro Charger allowed in all divisions with a limit of 140 mm inlet, at 45% overdrive maximum.

4. Add to 2019 rulebook pg 25, letter G, number 5 and pg 41, letter R:
“Screw-type superchargers are only allowed in the Unlimited (light and heavy) class. Overdrive limited to 125%.”

Mini Rods:

1. 2019 rulebook pg 60, letter A, number 1 now reads:
Automotive engine or its replica available in a passenger car limited to a maximum of 575 cubic inches blown with a maximum 4.900-inch centerline bore spacing or 650 cu. in. naturally aspirated or one gas turbine with an 1,800-hp limit for all National levels of pulling.
2. Add to 2019 rulebook pg 63 new letter J to read:
At Super National events in Mini Rod division, no vehicles equipped with small block (blown or otherwise) or naturally aspirated engines (regardless of size) or with rear tires smaller than 18.4 x 16.1 are allowed to enter and run.”

TWD Trucks:

1. Add to 2019 rulebook pg 76, letter F, number 3, new letter b:
Prior to competition, a TWD must be equipped with an NTPA-approved assembly that will accept a wire tie-type adjustment lock seal. This seal will be applied and secured at the time of drawbar measurement and inspection. The system must be designed so that the seal prevents the drawbar from further adjustment in any direction. (details and drawing will be in 2020 rulebook)

Contest Operations:

1. 2019 rulebook pg 88, letter E number 7 now reads:
If a session is cancelled more than 24 hours prior to start time at GN/SN or 3 hours at RN/state level, no points will be given for that session.”

Pulloffs:

2019 Rule pg 87 letter D, number 1 & 2 now reads:
1. At all NTPA-sanctioned events, (all levels) the maximum measurable distance will be 350 feet. Length/distance may be less as determined by that event’s insurance application and as verified by NTPA.
2. The boundary lines at all levels will extend to 350 feet.”

http://ntpapull.com/tech-services

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2019 10:22AM by Brent Yaron.

Screw blowers (the Boyd Rule) September 16, 2019 09:53AM
They clarified the wording on NTPA website to specify they are legal for both light and heavy unlimited.

I disagree with the decision to limit screw blower overdrive in the heavy unlimited. This seems to me to be a reaction to TWO passes at Bowling Green. Why didn't they limit 18-71s? I mean, Eder put 50 feet on the field at the Enderle.

Question No. 1: At 125% overdrive, what is a good guesstimate of HP produced by both a screw supercharger and 18-71? How much (if any) difference is there in hp at 125% for both types of blowers? (I know 18-71s aren't affected but am curious for comparison sake).
Question no. 2: Not sure what overdrive Benedict, Boyd, and Richardson run. How much overdrive did they run this summer?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2019 09:58AM by The Original Michael.

Re: Screw blowers (the Boyd Rule) September 16, 2019 11:11AM
So I guess a name change is needed? Maybe call the 8000 lb unlimited class the 8300 lb limited?

Re: Screw blowers (the Boyd Rule) September 16, 2019 05:19PM
During the Mod committee meeting the discussion started with what was safe and we voted to let the board determine along with SFI, insurance and the manufacturer safe limits. They talked about that limit being 150% overdrive. My question to everyone one was; how much is enough, why do we need more than NHRA needs? Everyone in the room seemed to indicate that they are under the 125% but didn't say out loud if they were or weren't. If they are at or under that then why would they care? Do they not want to even give the guys with 18-71 a fighting chance (yes I know a tractor with 18-71 won the points)? Mostly thinking about the Lt. Unlimiteds on that one. This BS about it being an Unlimited class makes me crazy, there are all kinds of rules for the class. To me it is just a marketing issue...NTPA has the only unlimited classes...it's a way to sell the classes. This next statement has nothing to do with your boss but there are only a handful of people with unlimited budgets where is the harm in making this class at least a little bit affordable? Even with limits teams like yours are going to rise to the top because you work hard at it. If only a handful of people can run this class is that enough to sustain it? It's not going to be in the Lt.Unlimited, they will have a hard time selling that class with so few tractors. For me personally it wasn't about Boyd at all it was about making the class more watchable, these tractors are putting on a less and less competitive show as half the time the tractors can't make complete pass without getting all out of shape and having to stop. How do you think Joe won the title? It seems that his tractor is more drivable and consistant. The Lt.Unlimited tractors don't quite overpower the tires as much as the heavys do so for them was more about getting thinges more even with the 18-71 tractors even though those rules are locked in for two more years but can be changed for safety reasons. Just so you know most the conversation revolved around the Lt.Unlimited and letting screw blowers into the GN Mod class not much was mentioned about the heavy class other than the Rotella circuit.

Sorry for the soap box rant...I need to find a new hobby,

Re: NTPA Rule Changes That Go In Effect For 2020 September 16, 2019 12:13PM
how come theres only a hp limit on turbine engines...

Re: NTPA Rule Changes That Go In Effect For 2020 September 16, 2019 12:57PM
Because someone got scared of them too. Lol

Re: NTPA Rule Changes That Go In Effect For 2020 September 16, 2019 02:06PM
Was someone over the limit? I know we were way under and our rev chip would stop them 6000rpm under sfi. So I guess I'm confused. Maybe they should worry about getting bags on the roots for safety. I think everyone knows it's a Boyd rule.

Re: NTPA Rule Changes That Go In Effect For 2020 September 16, 2019 02:58PM
So if you were and are under the limit then why do you seem so butt hurt over the rule change.

Seems like you should encourage the limit so that Incase of disaster someone doesn’t get injured.

Re: NTPA Rule Changes That Go In Effect For 2020 September 17, 2019 04:50AM
with those mini turbine hp limits,wouldnt a turbine be 800 plus hp down at gn/sn level ?

Re: NTPA Rule Changes That Go In Effect For 2020 September 16, 2019 01:04PM
So no pro stock turbo change ???

Re: NTPA Rule Changes That Go In Effect For 2020 September 16, 2019 01:37PM
The limit was for sfi safety ratings

Re: NTPA Rule Changes That Go In Effect For 2020 September 16, 2019 03:56PM
TWD-So it's easier to lock all the hitches in place than to just check a few after the hook? Wouldn't you want to catch the cheaters?

Re: NTPA Rule Changes That Go In Effect For 2020 September 16, 2019 05:07PM
Are the 2wd competitors going to pay for another tech official to measure hitches at the end of the track?
If they get their hitch sealed, and the scale isn't a mile from the staging area, should solve most of the problem.
Saying the competitor is responsible for hitch measurement before the pull is laughable.
Some are wanting the promoters to install concrete pads for the scales. Then they will want concrete pads for hitch measurement. Then want it at both ends of the track.
Anyone notice, most of the venues are multi use facilities? A pull isn't the only thing that happens there.
Keep demanding a bunch of stuff, and you can sell the puller and go watch demolition derbies where the pulls used to be. And rodeos, and concerts, and figure 8 races. And monster truck shows.

Re: NTPA Rule Changes That Go In Effect For 2020 September 17, 2019 01:58AM
I'm one of those people that will lay in bed at night thinking about these things and I have another couple of questions. One of the reasons the Heavy Unlimited tractors are so hard to get down the track is that they one wheel so easily. There is so much power that it doesn't take much to make this happen. My question is; if these tractors one wheel how fast is that tire turning (as well as the planetairy) that has broken loose? How much can the components in the rearend take before we see a major explosion or tire explosion (these tire and wheel combinations weight close to 600 lbs) that gets someone like a flagman hurt? Do we want to police ourselves before or after that happens? For me using the Unlimited name as an excuse for letting things get dangerous is scary. I hope I'm wrong and things go along as always. We have a friend in the pulling world that got hit in the leg by a blower pulley. She will be scared for life as this was a pretty major injury. Had that pulley gone a foot or two in another direction there were small children and this could have turned into a tragic event. Never say it can't or wont happen. These thing keep me awake at night!

S'no Farmer

Re: NTPA Rule Changes That Go In Effect For 2020 September 17, 2019 02:42AM
Todd. I hate it when you start putting common sense into the discussion. We just plan want it, we don't want to hear anything about safety or low numbers. We just want it. Sure we know that the sled operator will add more weight and we'll still go the same speed, but we just want it.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

how much power is enough? September 17, 2019 02:35AM
as a fan i have attended many pulls over the years. i have noticed that the unlimited class is getting less and less enjoyable to watch, because you cant put the power to the track. i attended my first PPL pull in Elsworth Wis. the mod class was not a very entertaining class in the the Friday night session. i know i know track and sled settings play a huge roll in that, but you can only go so fast in 350 feet. Power is great, but 12000-15000 hp. what is the difference to the show. i want to see more competitors pulling. i am ok with less power and a more competition. No disrespect to anyone. but mods were more enjoyable back in the day with Allisons turbins and different lower power configurations then it is now with huge power. just my 2 cents. Us Minnesota guys only get to see a few Mods/unlimiteds a year, so i guess we are happy with less.GrinningBeer

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,780, Posts: 229,958, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,041.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009