Interested in Pulling September 30, 2019 07:09AM
Hello all,
I am interested in getting into Pulling. I have been looking at some 1066's and a 1466. I would like to maybe get into an Altered class or Hot Farm. What would be my best option. I do not have deep pockets, just looking for something fun to do in the summer/fall and hopefully something my kids can get into as well. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but just need good advice to get me going. Thank you

Re: Interested in Pulling September 30, 2019 07:42AM
First thing is to find an organization that has a class you're interested in and has a set of rules. Next is to start building your tractor to meet the rules. Altered farm should be a little cheaper to get into. With a 1066, you can get your feet wet in the altered class and then jump up later to hot farm.

Re: Interested in Pulling September 30, 2019 10:06AM
Cheaper to buy a pulling tractor then build it. I understand the pride factor of building your own tractor but strictly from a cost standpoint you’ll save in the end

Re: Interested in Pulling September 30, 2019 10:27AM
What would be the difference in altered vs hot farm. I apologize for not being that educated. I just know from what i have seen with tractors at our fairs

Re: Interested in Pulling September 30, 2019 11:02AM
Altered farm varies a lot depending where you're at. Usually it's a 2.3 to 2.5" turbo, 2600 to 3000 rpm, and no water. Some places require safety features (wheelie bars, roll over protection). A lot of places require rockshaft housing and PTO. Altered farm is in between actual farm stock and hot farm.

Hot farm usually has similar rules across state lines. 3" charger, water, top cut tires, all the safety equipment, 470 cubic inch limit and usually 10,000 lbs.

Re: Interested in Pulling September 30, 2019 12:49PM
KRL82, study the Indiana Pulling League rules for Altered Farm and Hot Farm comparisons.
And since you are in western PA, study the Full Pull Productions rules for Classic Super Stock and Hot Farm.
I did not study in detail either organizations Hot Farm rules, but on the surface, they appear to have a lot of commonality. If so, that''s great. More organizations need to have commonality so pullers can travel to new areas.

IPL Hot Farms are no slouches and always perform a great show. This class is probably beyond where you would like to start. Classic Super Stock I assume will be more to your liking. They, too, perform a great competitive show.

Re: Interested in Pulling September 30, 2019 01:31PM
Great info from both parties. I really appreciate all your help. On another forum i was td if i run a 1066 that i should mate it to a 706 rear. Is there much truth to this or is this something that would be done when you get into the higher HP classes.

Re: Interested in Pulling September 30, 2019 01:46PM
The 706 is lighter the more movable weight you can in any class you choose the better off you are

Re: Interested in Pulling October 01, 2019 03:42AM
KRL 82, there are actually quite a few pulls for altered farm or open farm in surrounding areas of where u live. Not really much for sanctioned pulls but a lot of brush pulls. This would be the most entry level class for where u are located unless u want to pull speed limits. For the most part we run 3000 rpm, stock appearing pumps, 466 c.i. and anywhere from 10,500-13,500. If u would like to talk more about it I'd be glad to, just post a contact number. I dont do email

Re: Interested in Pulling October 01, 2019 03:53AM
there is a 706 with 466 in the for sale section

Re: Interested in Pulling October 01, 2019 10:42AM
I found a 706 diesel for 7500. Is that a good deal and would that be a good tractor to start?

Re: Interested in Pulling October 01, 2019 11:48AM
No it is not a good deal. My advice is to find some guys out there who pull in your area and let them help guide you into getting started on the right track

Re: Interested in Pulling October 01, 2019 12:43PM
No matter what level of pulling you choose, including even those local PA brush pulls, it will (much) likely consume more $$ than you anticipated/budgeted.
Perhaps you should befriend a puller of the type of tractor you want and crew for him for a couple years as your learning experience before you take the plunge on your own.
Good luck in your future pulling endeavor.

Re: Interested in Pulling October 01, 2019 12:44PM
I could set you up with a 766 with that would be a good choice for around 2,500 and if anbody is interested i have some 86 series rear ends transmisions axels and a bunch of junk i would take 400 bucks for thats on its way to the scrap yard 270 566 2901

Re: Interested in Pulling October 01, 2019 01:37PM
How much difference is there between a 706,766,1066. Obviously weight class but anything major

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009