? about "retired" super stocks January 28, 2020 03:42AM
I've read or heard interviews where it was mentioned about a few 70's era super stocks that had been put back to use on the farm when their pulling days were over. Two examples are the Cajun Queen 4010 and Bud Baird's Cannonball 1206 (Ironically, both those are being restored to their pulling setup).

Does anyone know of (or own) a farm tractor that used to be a super stock in it's younger days?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2020 03:43AM by The Original Michael.

Re: ? about "retired" super stocks January 28, 2020 03:49PM
The 190 XT that my Uncle won 7000 SS points (and also finished 5th in 9000 SS) in 1974 was converted back to a farm tractor and was used in front of a planter for many years by my cousins.

Re: ? about "retired" super stocks January 29, 2020 01:02PM
My family had a 4320, 2 turbo super stock in the mid 70s. They sold it to a guy who pulled it a few more years then he put it back to a farm tractor and sold it.

Re: ? about "retired" super stocks January 29, 2020 03:51PM
Cool insight. I'm kind of surprised that some people would go through the work to put them back out in the field. I have to imagine a lot of them are sitting in sheds somewhere.

Re: ? about "retired" super stocks January 29, 2020 09:54PM
I guess this was back towards the start of things and the modifications weren't as drastic yet. It was before my time, but the 43 my Grandfather pulled had a 466, 2 "out of the box" turbos, a reworked inline pump, intercooler off a 4630, and homemade water injection. By the late 70s things were progressing enough, it was probably as easier to put it back to farmable than it was to modify it to be more competitive.

Re: ? about "retired" super stocks January 30, 2020 01:56AM
Back in the late 1960's to the mid 1970's lots of us put the spring crops in...We then bolted on a bigger turbo, pump,lines,injectors,tires, and pulled all summer...That fall all the pulling stuff came off and back to the field it went...Some even had a complete pulling engine that was put in and then taken back out when it was farming time..

Re: ? about "retired" super stocks January 30, 2020 02:50AM
In the late 60s and early 70s thats what we all did. Mid 70s that all started to change to where we are today. Is it better or worse? Who knows .

Re: ? about "retired" super stocks January 30, 2020 03:12AM
"clubhouse" I agree with you, some old,- some new is good, many of us are old school, back in the day kinda guys, we have fond memories of stock type tractors doing well without having to sell the farm. Now the tractors pretty much look alike, sound the same run the same and go 20 - 35 mph, not pulling at all, - racing with an empty bale wagon - till they drop the ten bottom plow on ya.We still need some slower pull as you go progressive sleds with heavy tractors with torque and low speed,pulling and grinding till the tires break free.New is good and fun, no one wants to go back to party phones and no air conditioning, however not all that is old and wrinkled is outdated yet, the pasture fence ain't big enough to hold me yet.

Re: ? about "retired" super stocks January 30, 2020 07:57AM
Amen to that

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009