Roller lifters February 07, 2020 11:09AM
I was wondering if you can put roller lifters in a flat tappet cam block on an 86 dt466 . It has the big lifters , just the camshaft and lifters are flat tappet .
Also, is there an advantage to the roller cam , and will the flat tappet valve train work. Rocker assembly and pushrods .
I did see there are some companies that say you can use drop in roller lifters...but wow... Are they expensive for a set of twelve .
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Re: Roller lifters February 07, 2020 01:13PM
Yes you can use factory roller lifters in a big lifter flat tappet block.

Performance gains are dependent upon application

Flat tappet and Roller cams use different length pushrods and will not interchange. Rocker assembly will work

Re: Roller lifters February 08, 2020 07:37AM
Ok thanks .
I'm going to basically limited pro. .. From pro farm . I didn't know if the stock roller lifters would work Also for some certain cam profiles..hence I could only see on wipeout that the drop in rollers were like
1600+ $, not Including the tie bars .

Re: Roller lifters February 08, 2020 12:01PM
No Limit Manufacturing also has lifters that are a little taller so you don’t have to machine your block to run a regrind. Vogel also has stock style rollers and cross bars good quality.

Re: Roller lifters February 08, 2020 12:42PM
By limited pro your meaning 8500lp (466 ci 3” charger)?

Re: Roller lifters February 08, 2020 01:00PM
Yes 8500 24.5x32 3x3 with cooler slotted or 3x4 with slot cover No cooler . Both only 540 cubic inch .

Also..forgot to mention ,are push rods the same for flat tappet and roller ?

Re: Roller lifters February 08, 2020 02:23PM
Roller push rod are around 1” shorter than flat tappet

Re: Roller lifters February 09, 2020 12:02PM
Thanks .
I failed to read the HELP author reply where he also said they use different length pushrods . Riverside sold me the set of pushrods for my flat tappet . I will call Phil
This week.
I put a roller grind cam shaft in to try ,that a friend had from an old set up as the motor is apart . The stock roller lifters did go right in place as I had a set from a stock engine I found this morning . Brett was correct ,
The tie bars on the lifters hit the bottom of the block. I pulled the tie bars off and the lifter went down further.
I will have to purchase the taller lifters from a supplier .

Thanks for the advice . Thanks for the info all.

Re: Roller lifters February 10, 2020 06:04AM
Give chuck vogel with vogel manufacturing a call he can get u a reground roller or billet roller with roller lifters and tiebars

Re: Roller lifters February 10, 2020 07:14AM
Where did the tie bars hit? Should only be by the vent on the side of block as that boss hits the side of the tie bar. Need to use aftermarket tie bars.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,675, Posts: 229,776, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,949.

Our newest member Jason