Safety rules you'd like to see in PPL, NTPA, Outlaws? February 12, 2020 10:54PM
In the thread below, someone mentioned either tethers or more shielding for drive shafts.

I believe wheel tethers are a good idea.

Are there any other safety ideas you would like to see the major sanctioning bodies adopt?

Re: Safety rules you'd like to see in PPL, NTPA, Outlaws? February 12, 2020 11:27PM
Oh for crying out loud........stop with the wheel tether thing. We've seen this beaten to death how many times on this board? Everybody gets it.....there have been points made for and against. Let it be.

It does appear MOD drive line shielding needs attention I will admit.

Re: Safety rules you'd like to see in PPL, NTPA, Outlaws? February 13, 2020 07:08AM
Stop it,
Wheel tethering is not what people are looking at here, driveline tethering is the subject. Two simple heavy nylon straps fastened to the driveline shielding then fastened to the frame on each side. This has been done in some instances already. It's light, strong and simple.

S'no Farmer

Re: Safety rules you'd like to see in PPL, NTPA, Outlaws? February 13, 2020 10:17AM
Agreed, it's a very simple and effective solution that doesn't weigh much at all. I assume the cost would be negligible as well. We got extremely lucky last night that we didnt have a serious injury. We should all be thankful for that.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2020 11:02AM by Dick Morgan.

Re: Safety rules you'd like to see in PPL, NTPA, Outlaws? February 13, 2020 11:48AM
If you read the OP, he suggested Wheel tethers That's what I was referring to. Please read previous posts before judging.

Re: Safety rules you'd like to see in PPL, NTPA, Outlaws? February 13, 2020 12:54PM
Stop it,
I stand corrected, I missed his second point.

S'no Farmer

Re: Safety rules you'd like to see in PPL, NTPA, Outlaws? February 13, 2020 01:08PM
I'm all for wheel tethers. Why push back against safety, especially when the technology is already developed (monster trucks run them). I've had enough wheels fly at me to last a lifetime. Thankful is hasn't caused a serious injury yet but why continue to risk it?

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2020 01:13PM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Safety rules you'd like to see in PPL, NTPA, Outlaws? February 13, 2020 05:22PM
Within the last three years theres been a rear tire taking off on its own, a chunk of metal ended up on a seat in the upper deck and then last night. 3 times people were literally feet away from getting seriously hurt. And that all happened at one pull. How do you think it goes last night if that happened 100' further down the track? How many near misses before the governing bodies finally start to get proactive instead of reactive in regards to safety?

To Stop it February 14, 2020 01:23AM
stop it
there have been points made for and against. Let it be.

What are the points made against wheel tethers that you reference? I cannot think of a legit reason not to have them.

Re: To Stop it February 14, 2020 05:14AM
There are certainly people who feel strongly for them, and at some point I'm sure they will be brought in as a safety item. That's fine.....it's just another major headache for most chassis to re-engineer to accommodate them. Will be what it will be.

That said, here is a direct quote from Doc Riley from a September 2019 post concerning a topic titled "Was this an unsafe tractor pull?"

Doc Riley
Wheel tethers are NOT recommended for pulling. I spent time with this issue in a number of motorsports including Monster Trucks. Pulling has the unique feature of having a sled AND running at a "slower" speed.
The possibility that a "tethered" wheel and tire assembly would end up UNDER the tractor and/or sled.
The possibility that the tethered assembly would slow down and "direct" the vehicle and the sled in a direction that might cause a more devastating results.

There is more to consider when attempting to say "they should be required".

Re: Safety rules you'd like to see in PPL, NTPA, Outlaws? February 12, 2020 11:30PM
HANS device on NTPA/PPL Minis. I don't really like the little neck brace for how rough those rides are

Re: Safety rules you'd like to see in PPL, NTPA, Outlaws? February 13, 2020 02:51AM
What needs to be mandated more than anything is padding on the cages...

Re: Safety rules you'd like to see in PPL, NTPA, Outlaws? February 18, 2020 10:48AM
I have driven a DSS for 20+ years and the Mini is a "Safer" ride than my DSS was. due to the low center of gravity. a person can make any class look "wild" and on the edge , but with common sense and good driving ability the Mini rod class is by far safer that the DSS is. Jim

Re: Safety rules you'd like to see in PPL, NTPA, Outlaws? February 19, 2020 05:16AM
Really, Mini's have twice the power to weight ratio, never have seen a DSS tip rattle and roll like dozen on the vidoes of out of control mini's. Just saying,

Re: Safety rules you'd like to see in PPL, NTPA, Outlaws? February 19, 2020 07:30AM
They've settled them down quite a bit since they went to planetary finals. Watch some state level or brush minis that are still running Ford rear ends and they still get pretty squirrelly sometimes.

Re: Safety rules you'd like to see in PPL, NTPA, Outlaws? February 12, 2020 11:33PM
There already is tethers for mod and twd driveshafts. I believe its anything longer then 36"

Re: Safety rules you'd like to see in PPL, NTPA, Outlaws? February 17, 2020 02:03AM
Not sure if a hans would have helped, but at Wauseon, Ohio a few years back the 4wd were hooking so hard that at the end of their run they would launch back into the sled. Not sure who it was anymore , one of them launched so hard it snapped the drivers head violently forward, then back enough to knock him out Cold ! He was out for about 10seconds, and I couldn't believe they let him drive it off the track.

Re: Safety rules you'd like to see in PPL, NTPA, Outlaws? February 18, 2020 11:29AM
After watching my friend get knocked out on his 4430, I ordered a road race style Kerky seat with head bolsters on it. That makes a lot of difference with how far your head can swing side to side in a violent ride.

Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,644, Posts: 229,710, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520