Diesel and alky... February 14, 2020 01:22PM
So far... Half way through... This is awesome.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Diesel and alky... February 14, 2020 01:48PM
Hey look at that a good competition they shouldn’t have been separated in the first place and they should definitely be put back together now

Re: Diesel and alky... February 14, 2020 02:02PM
Fantastic class, most exciting/entertaining in while. Agree, would have loved to see triple bypass perform but @#$%& happens

Re: Diesel and alky... February 14, 2020 01:55PM
Well, that was an exciting class. After Josh's run it looked like the class was over but then Stan just laid down a monster pass that was awesome. It would have been nice to see Colin Ross run but it was an extremely competitive class none the less. We've got three diesels and thee alcohol tractors for the finals, not too bad for a Valentine's day reunion!

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Diesel and alky... February 14, 2020 01:57PM
Great class
Leave them together

Re: Diesel and alky... February 14, 2020 02:06PM
If you get them on some real tracks for an entire season I bet you’ll see more of a separation favoring the alcohol machines.

Re: Diesel and alky... February 14, 2020 02:26PM
Team one
If you get them on some real tracks for an entire season I bet you’ll see more of a separation favoring the alcohol machines.

I agree, especially if the cold is raising hell with their fuel/tune. Not sure this proves anything tonight.

Re: Diesel and alky... February 14, 2020 02:33PM
I do agree that if you hooked them all again there would be some changes in the finishes. Ross and Beck would also be in the mix.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Diesel and alky... February 14, 2020 02:38PM
Very true, we know what Ross' are capable of. Don't want to discredit anyone. But I think these conditions are tougher on the alky's. I don't think you can read too much into 1 event.

Re: Diesel and alky... February 14, 2020 02:51PM
Dick Morgan
I do agree that if you hooked them all again there would be some changes in the finishes. Ross and Beck would also be in the mix.

If you hooked them again the diesels would be out.
Chalk 1 up for the Alkys.

Re: Diesel and alky... February 14, 2020 02:00PM
Just what pulling needs. A good show and a good rivalry. Congrats to the galot team, that is a real good running tractor

Re: Diesel and alky... February 14, 2020 02:19PM
What happened to Triple Bypass? All I have to go by is the distances online and something obviously broke on that tractor.

Re: Diesel and alky... February 15, 2020 01:04AM
JLG
What happened to Triple Bypass? All I have to go by is the distances online and something obviously broke on that tractor.
I'm merely speculating from the sidelines but I'm guessing that they might have made some changes that worked well on the dyno but didn't quite like the track as much. To me it sounded like it never really got on top of the turbos like it normally does. I don't know if it walked out of the hole faster than Colin wanted or if it was a turbo change that didn't spool up like they had hoped but that's what it looked (and sounded) like to me. It was one of the few disappointments in a great class, the other being Hothem's bad luck barely getting off the line and then not being able to get it restarted after it sneezed.

The only other surprise to me was Mike Beck's run. It was a decent pass but it wasn't the type of pass that the tractor is capable of. I was really expecting to see that tractor muchcloser to the top of the class and if it won the whole thing it wouldn't have surprised me one bit.

The NTPA has their diesel circuit, and PPL has their alcohol circuit and if the NFMS can keep this combination working then we'll be on the edge of our seats every Winter. Hats off to Mike Witt and the rest of the committee and Fair Board for making this happen, it put some much needed excitement back into either of these classes.

Some side notes:
  • it was much warmer in the arena last night so it wasn't as much of a tuning issue for the alcohol guys and they made some very, very hard passes.
  • five of the alky guys were running Mitas tires and they seemed to work very, very well. How much of an advantage I don't know but they seemed to all be light on the front so they will probably have them dialed in even better in the finals. It will be interesting to see which diesels put those on this summer, I'm guessing Bypass will be one of the first.
  • I don't care if it takes a 600 lb. or a 0 lb. differential between fuels, these tractors can run together and they put on an absolutely awesome show against each other!

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: Diesel and alky... February 15, 2020 01:28AM
I was looking forward to this class since it was announced. The diesel supers have always been my favorite and this added a whole new level of excitement to see the pull. Wish I could have been there in person.

Re: Diesel and alky... February 15, 2020 02:14AM
Jake Morgan

I'm merely speculating from the sidelines but I'm guessing that they might have made some changes that worked well on the dyno but didn't quite like the track as much. To me it sounded like it never really got on top of the turbos like it normally does. I don't know if it walked out of the hole faster than Colin wanted or if it was a turbo change that didn't spool up like they had hoped but that's what it looked (and sounded) like to me. It was one of the few disappointments in a great class, the other being Hothem's bad luck barely getting off the line and then not being able to get it restarted after it sneezed.

The only other surprise to me was Mike Beck's run. It was a decent pass but it wasn't the type of pass that the tractor is capable of. I was really expecting to see that tractor muchcloser to the top of the class and if it won the whole thing it wouldn't have surprised me one bit.

The NTPA has their diesel circuit, and PPL has their alcohol circuit and if the NFMS can keep this combination working then we'll be on the edge of our seats every Winter. Hats off to Mike Witt and the rest of the committee and Fair Board for making this happen, it put some much needed excitement back into either of these classes.

Some side notes:

[*] it was much warmer in the arena last night so it wasn't as much of a tuning issue for the alcohol guys and they made some very, very hard passes.
[*] five of the alky guys were running Mitas tires and they seemed to work very, very well. How much of an advantage I don't know but they seemed to all be light on the front so they will probably have them dialed in even better in the finals. It will be interesting to see which diesels put those on this summer, I'm guessing Bypass will be one of the first.
[*] I don't care if it takes a 600 lb. or a 0 lb. differential between fuels, these tractors can run together and they put on an absolutely awesome show against each other!
600 lb you could combine all the classes.
Awesome for who? You and the Alky tractors,
Alcohol guys are laughing all the way to the bank on this deal.
Spend half as much, half as much maintenance and take all the top spots.

Re: Warming up the crow... February 14, 2020 04:00PM
...wings for lunch tomorrow.

Had a discussion with a pulling buddy about the alky/diesel combining. We both knew they were to far apart to be competitive as is.

Knowing tonight is a small sample size, but it is time. Time to bring back some spice/ginger/pizazz/twang to the OG class of pulling.

I bought the live stream for the specific class tonight, kudos to the NFMS. Haven't been this intrigued about the future of the SS class in a while.

Would love to see this out doors. Make it happen NTPA/PPL.

Re: Warming up the crow... February 15, 2020 12:17AM
Four tenths of a foot separating the top two is statistically speaking a tie.

But this isn't statistics and no track is a sterile laboratory.

I think that we all might be able to agree, amongst the variety of opinions here, that we need more opportunity to see this duel of the fuels flesh itself out beyond this track in more locations.

Hope everyone enjoys today's sessions and that we get to see this battle intensify more tonight.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Warming up the crow... February 15, 2020 01:13AM
Two of the top three were Alky, 5 of the top 8 were Alky, that's pretty clear cut.
Really thought the Diesels would do better, short track and 200lb advantage.

Re: Warming up the crow... February 15, 2020 04:44AM
Nice to see everyone already making up the new rules for the class. That's exactly why it will fail. One pull and people are already saying what these guys should change on their very expensive machines.

Re: Diesel and alky... February 15, 2020 01:25AM
I would advise caution in making any rash judgment on this mixing of tractors team one has a good point. this little experiment was made over 30 yrs ago and was no success then . I feel all that will happen is history will repeat itself. both classes have been let run wild for so long that they are now to a point where only a select few can follow. when summer pulling starts I feel you will see a totally different situation I don't have all the answers but history usually turns out to be correct

Re: Diesel and alky... February 15, 2020 01:48AM
They could run together but it should be under a uniform set of rules. Take the extra cubes from ally’s back and put them all at 540 then it would truly be anyone’s game. It will be surprising if all 3 diesels make it back being on kill that hard.

Re: Diesel and alky... February 15, 2020 01:50AM
IH-SSD
They could run together but it should be under a uniform set of rules. Take the extra cubes from ally’s back and put them all at 540 then it would truly be anyone’s game. It will be surprising if all 3 diesels make it back being on kill that hard.
This is the best idea I have seen if they are want to combine the fuels. Limit the alky's to 540. Just curious, how many of the alky guys would sign up for that?

Re: Diesel and alky... February 15, 2020 02:02AM
I can answer that very easily, none zero not one, why would they, they all can go to PPL and keep their same setup.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2020 02:48AM by Dick Morgan.

Re: Diesel and alky... February 15, 2020 03:40AM
So let me get this straight. Last year Ross went and beat all the PPL alky tractors heads up. Last night Blagraves were 4.8" from covering the field (granted with a 200 pound advantage). All this with alky's at 650 and you think cutting them back 110 cubic inches will make it fair? Seems to me that the front runners of both fuel types will run neck and neck, where the problem is going to stem from is the "also rans" not getting their check the 2 or 3 times they will run during the season. If those guys (in both classes) would make all the hooks there would be no reason to combine, but they won't and if they don't combine both classes will be done.

Re: Diesel and alky... February 15, 2020 02:37PM
Then it’s obvious PPL will be the only place for them to run. So every other class like Light super is a 504 class. So why is it out of reason for OSS and DSS to be at the same cubes?

Re: Diesel and alky... February 15, 2020 05:09AM
Lets look at this thing like this for right now, the diesel guys of NTPA do not want to combine and im sure if you ask the full time PPL alkys they will say "we're not pulling NTPA either way because the money isn't good". With that being said let PPL have the alkys and NTPA keep the diesels, but if a diesel decides hey i want to run with the alkys then they can go do so and obviously make more money in the process. Let the NFMS keep them running todether and keep us all on the edge of our seats all summer until we see them together in February. It can be the duel of the fuels plus PPL supers vs. NTPA supers......On a side note the Diesels have the second most hooks on the GN schedule (pro stocks being first) so obviously the promotors want them and don't share the same belief that they are dieing. PPL also has a decent schedule for their supers. Lets all just enjoy pulling the way it is this summer, let both classes do their thing and see what happens until February when we can see this again. I honestly do believe that diesel numbers will be fine this year and yes as the above poster stated there are few that can't make all the hooks, but sometimes i feel that you guys think these pullers are super human with one responsibility...pulling. you have to remember that these guys also have farms/businesses to run, families, and not to mention it all takes time and money to do this. I don't think it's totally fair to look down on them for not always making every hook, @#$%& happens and things don't always work in your favor. I do, in fact see both sides of this thing, but as i said lets just enjoy pulling this summer and see what happens. Thanks for this board and this discussion Jake.

Re: Diesel and alky... February 15, 2020 03:16PM
Its amazing how once someone makes an intelligent statement nobody has anything to say. Friday night's super stock class was by far the most entertaining super stock class I have ever seen in person and yet there is still people on here that are not satisfied. 3 diesels and 3 alkys made the finals. What more do you want.

Re: Diesel and alky... February 15, 2020 03:23PM
Thanks
Its amazing how once someone makes an intelligent statement nobody has anything to say. Friday night's super stock class was by far the most entertaining super stock class I have ever seen in person and yet there is still people on here that are not satisfied. 3 diesels and 3 alkys made the finals. What more do you want.

Must have seen a different pull than you.
I saw the Alkys sweep the weekend, diesel had 200 lb advantage and the alkys still put 10 ft on them tonight?

Re: Diesel and alky... February 15, 2020 03:29PM
I agree with disappointed. Had A & D not broke, alkys would have been 1, 2, & 3 in finals. The diesel guys have already spoken and told you what they want. The horse is dead, stop kicking it, don't combine it.

Re: Diesel and alky... February 15, 2020 03:33PM
I’m afraid you are going to have to get used to being disappointed. They put on a great show. 1 tractor, I repeat 1 tractor distanced itself from the class and you are disappointed? Unbelievable Eye Rolling

Re: Diesel and alky... February 16, 2020 12:58AM
Dear disappointed
I’m afraid you are going to have to get used to being disappointed. They put on a great show. 1 tractor, I repeat 1 tractor distanced itself from the class and you are disappointed? Unbelievable Eye Rolling
I am afraid you are right,
I'm glad you enjoyed watching the Alkys take a Louisville win from the SSD.

Re: Diesel and alky... February 16, 2020 01:32AM
Dissapointed

Ahhh there it is! You didn’t want any of this. You wanted the same old same old. The spirit of competition isn’t in your veins I get it. It’s consumed you and you can’t see the big picture. You also are hanging your hat on 1 tractor that made a great pass and you are totally discounting 1 dss that if it had been able to perform like normal could have completely changed this scenario. Quit harping on 200 lbs they’d have likely been better off to run 200 less. Get your head out of the sand, this was the best thing the NFMS has done in years

Re: Diesel and alky... February 16, 2020 02:00AM
Dear disappointed

Ahhh there it is! You didn’t want any of this. You wanted the same old same old. The spirit of competition isn’t in your veins I get it. It’s consumed you and you can’t see the big picture. You also are hanging your hat on 1 tractor that made a great pass and you are totally discounting 1 dss that if it had been able to perform like normal could have completely changed this scenario. Quit harping on 200 lbs they’d have likely been better off to run 200 less. Get your head out of the sand, this was the best thing the NFMS has done in years

You are right the fans loved it, and its probably where this class is headed.

Re: Diesel and alky... February 16, 2020 06:45AM
There is also a very real possibility that the smoke tube malfunction cost a dss a NFMS victory.

On a side note I don’t think you will see a combined class outdoors but rather as previously mentioned ntpa will have DSS and ppl will have OSS. Then possibly some higher stakes combination shootouts here and there

Re: Diesel and alky... February 16, 2020 08:56AM
Come out to the Canfield Fair Labor Day weekend. They will all be combined together on an outdoor track. Great venue and fantastic event! We will get to see it all play out first hand.

Can’t wait!

Re: Diesel and alky... February 16, 2020 09:58AM
Too bad DSS has a GN hook the same weekend as Canfield.

Re: Diesel and alky... February 16, 2020 11:22AM
Is it a $5000 to win event? With great pay outs down through the top 10. I’d go where the money is if I have to travel for both...

Re: Diesel and alky... February 16, 2020 12:39PM
Everybody is invited to come to THE NO BULL TRUCK AND TRACTOR PULL in Benson, NC May 29 and 30! We will combine the SS class on a outside track by some of the best track builders in the business! We have seen them inside so it is going to be really interesting to see what will happen outside!

Re: Diesel and alky... February 16, 2020 12:48PM
You can see a Battle of the Fuels outside May 29-30 at Galot Motorsports Park. The No Bull Truck and Tractor Pull will be a great place to see what happens first hand on a track prepared by some of the best in the business!

Re: Diesel and alky... February 16, 2020 09:03AM
Dear disappointed
There is also a very real possibility that the smoke tube malfunction cost a dss a NFMS victory.

On a side note I don’t think you will see a combined class outdoors but rather as previously mentioned ntpa will have DSS and ppl will have OSS. Then possibly some higher stakes combination shootouts here and there
Smoke tube didn't hurt Livn a Dream.
Don't think you will see many of the diesel guys take a shot at the higher stake stuff other than the Triple by Pass tractor.

Re: Diesel and alky... February 15, 2020 03:32PM
It's pulling, wait 6 hours and hook them all again and who knows the outcome. John had a great run both nights and congrats to the galot crew. All of them were close, 903 didn't run away with it like most woulda thought

Re: Diesel and alky... February 15, 2020 04:44PM
Alkys clearly had more power! Even in natural aspirated classes, a diesel cannot begin to hang with a gasser. Just speaking the facts. It was kind of entertaining however the alkys will still dominate on a regular basis. More classes like this will prove my point. Over all a very good show each night for the most part.

Re: Diesel and alky... February 15, 2020 11:23PM
There’s a couple things that concern me. One is if I was part of this so called “test” and had an alky I’d have done some sandbagging. Two I think you will see a bigger separation in distance when they can run 330 feet. In my opinion in think the cubes on the no smoke tractors need to be similar to the diesels. Just my thoughts. I have no dog in the fight but think these classes are the best in pulling.

Re: Diesel and alky... February 16, 2020 01:56AM
gpopper
There’s a couple things that concern me. One is if I was part of this so called “test” and had an alky I’d have done some sandbagging. Two I think you will see a bigger separation in distance when they can run 330 feet. In my opinion in think the cubes on the no smoke tractors need to be similar to the diesels. Just my thoughts. I have no dog in the fight but think these classes are the best in pulling.
I agree, and I have absolutely no dog in the fight either. I think what would ultimately be best for pulling is running them together. As a "green" guy, I have nobody in SSD and almost nobody in SSO. If we combine them, I'd probably cheer for diesel just because they are the "underdog". But to make it 1 class, in my opinion, it would be best to put a cube limit of 540 across the board.

Re: Diesel and alky... February 19, 2020 02:28PM
How often do we ever see a 'backtrack' in the rules? Seldom.

Historically, (Heavy) SSD and Alky always pulled together in same SS class until '99, when the 2 fuel classes were split.
From '90 until '98, 4 diesel tractors and 5 alky tractors won the combined 75/95 class championship.

Be nice to see the 2 fuels recombined into one big mega purse class (combine both class purses into one mega purse). Might have to give the alky's some sort of performance handicap, such as weight and or drawbar to try to even the competition.

Would be very interesting to see a summer season of great combined SS competition.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,633, Posts: 229,697, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,901.

Our newest member JD_8520