SS Alcohol February 16, 2020 03:43AM
Why do the Alky SS guys want to run Alcohol?
Its not cheaper,it doesn't make more power, its not less maintenance.
There is zero benefit so why?

The diesel SS tractors can obviously run with them day in and day out and beat them on a regular basis, so why don't they pull in both classes?
The Triple BY Pass tractor has them covered easily so why don't they run PPL where the big money is at?

Re: SS Alcohol February 16, 2020 04:43AM
That is the dumbest statement I have ever heard. 18 to 20 thousand for a diesel pump verses 5 for a alky pump. NFMS proved 1 think on a 330 ft track the Alkys will smoke the deisels all summer long. It is speed verse torque.

Re: SS Alcohol February 16, 2020 05:03AM
Head in rear
That is the dumbest statement I have ever heard. 18 to 20 thousand for a diesel pump verses 5 for a alky pump. NFMS proved 1 think on a 330 ft track the Alkys will smoke the deisels all summer long. It is speed verse torque.

Sorry, just a question.
Reading the post on this forum every one says the Alkys don't have an advantage, and the Triple by Pass can beat them easy.

Re: SS Alcohol February 16, 2020 05:18AM
I not here to argue, But I have pulled both and I tell you alcohol is way less to build & operate over a year than diesel , Cheaper parts & less breakage[ 120 pounds boost vs 250+ to make the same power] Mike

Re: SS Alcohol February 25, 2020 07:19PM
Fuel pump alky 2300 and that's s new good one. You can get away with a cheaper one.
Pistons rods cranks much cheaper on alcohol tractor.
Lesson learned a long time ago and still true

Re: SS Alcohol February 16, 2020 08:21AM
Not trying to be a smart a$$ but you seem to know very little about alky tractors..

Re: SS Alcohol February 16, 2020 08:56AM
My Opinion
Not trying to be a smart a$$ but you seem to know very little about alky tractors..
That would be why I asked the question.
Following the conversations here, the consensus is the Alkys have no advantage over the diesels.
So I was just wondering , if there is no advantage why run Alcohol?

Re: SS Alcohol February 16, 2020 12:28PM
Put them all at the same size and it probably be anyone’s game. One having a 110 cube advantage it really doesn’t matter what fuel it is it’s not a fair play.

Re: SS Alcohol February 17, 2020 05:23AM
There is already a mixed class llss they have smaller cubes on the gas burners and different diesel sizes depending upon the combination you are running usually there is a gas burner advantage but it seems to be under control so far and seems to be a crowd pleasing class. look at what works this came from a group of men who were not only interested in there own tractor s but the class. Itself if you are so intent on mixing these tractors learn from them

Re: SS Alcohol February 17, 2020 05:55AM
Not sure if this is a troll post but... it's pretty much the opposite. Diesel is more expensive to build and maintain for a given power level. Diesel fuel systems are stupid expensive and very custom, while alkys pretty much use the same fuel and ignition components as any other alcohol competition engine. And the much higher boost pressures and heavier rotating assemblies on diesels make them much harder to keep together. Alcohol engines might be harder to tune, but that's about it. And if things go wrong on an alky, it will probably just fall on its face, while a diesel might end up with the block 20 feet down the track.

Re: SS Alcohol February 17, 2020 06:40AM
$5k for an alky pump? That’s about twice too much. Lol

Re: SS Alcohol February 17, 2020 10:36AM
Hey Cody
Maybe you should go buy a pump that is not used on a LLSS and you will find that 5 grand is about right

Re: SS Alcohol February 26, 2020 12:14AM
I see no reason an alcohol pump would ever be $5K. Half that would be high. And on a side note, Cody does have a LSS...

Re: SS Alcohol February 26, 2020 07:39AM
To help you with your numbers. A Waterman Big Bertha pump and that is just the pump. nothing else will cost you around 3500. So by the time you get what you need to make it work on your tractor you will be at $5,000

Re: SS Alcohol February 27, 2020 03:34AM
Not Rocket Science
To help you with your numbers. A Waterman Big Bertha pump and that is just the pump. nothing else will cost you around 3500. So by the time you get what you need to make it work on your tractor you will be at $5,000

What else do you need to make it work?

Re: SS Alcohol February 27, 2020 06:09AM
Sir;

I believe you cannot run pump in mid air, so you need to have it mounted. Then you need drive wheel for the pump and cog on the front of the crank to drive the pump. How about a belt for the pump? Just some simple items, but guess what it costs

Re: SS Alcohol February 27, 2020 07:19AM
Guess what you have to have to mount the drive for the pump? A crankshaft, then you have to have a block to put it in....Give me a break. The original comment was that an alky pump (nothing else mentioned) cost $5,000. Cody, being someone who has owned, built, pulled more vehicles than most of us ever will, commented that was ABOUT double what one should cost. At that point some Einstein googled big bertha pump and found the first place with a price and it was a little over $3500 making Cody correct, but you guys want to nit pick and try to add crap to it to make him wrong.

Re: SS Alcohol February 27, 2020 07:37AM
Mr. Like What
Sir;

I believe you cannot run pump in mid air, so you need to have it mounted. Then you need drive wheel for the pump and cog on the front of the crank to drive the pump. How about a belt for the pump? Just some simple items, but guess what it costs
All of which you have to have for any pump.
The topic was the cost of a pump.
The Injection pump on a diesel has to have drive components and mounting components that are not included in the price of the pump.
What you are describing sounds exactly like the supply pump used to feed the injection pump on the diesels.

Re: SS Alcohol February 29, 2020 02:28PM
No need to run a big bertha a little one work very well$1800. and that if you run a brand name

Re: SS Alcohol March 01, 2020 04:59AM
Glad you all do not build for me, as I would run out of fuel by the time I could get hooked to the sled. Between not spending to ran a pump and having to small of a pump. YAHOOOO!!!!!!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,704, Posts: 229,805, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,952.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro