Tarp for Pulling?? August 12, 2009 04:41AM
Was at Croton last night, OSTPA's Mid-Season champ pull, and it rained just after the track was put together. So they were delayed about 1 1/2 hours because of the mud track.

Why doesnt anybody buy a 50x350 tarp, make sleds carry them along, if theres a threat of rain, throw out the tarp after the track is built. Once the rain is over, bingo your ready to go.

Am I missing something or is there a reason that wouldnt work?

Re: Tarp for Pulling?? August 12, 2009 05:00AM
I’ve always wondered the same thing. Seems like pretty simple insurance. I assume most organizations could find it in their budget to purchase a tarp. I’m sure somebody would have room in their hauler or pickup.

Of course most tarps are green or blue, sorry IH fans!

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: New Market, Iowa August 12, 2009 07:08AM
New Market, Iowa has the tarp you are talking about and it allowed them to have their pull even though it rained all that morning.

Re: New Market, Iowa August 12, 2009 07:19AM
Gilmore City Iowa had tarps to cover their track. Saved their pull more than once.
Idea about making the sled haul it isn't so good. They are already hauling plenty, and don't really need MORE equipment to keep track of. AND I know they would be left to roll it up and load it themselves after the event.

Bunk silo plastic August 12, 2009 08:19AM
Tarp is expensive, BUT the plastic used on bunk silos is reasonable, for $300 (I think that might be high) a track can purchase enough plastic to cover a track.

Re: New Market, Iowa August 12, 2009 08:23AM
Even in the sled can't take it from hook to hook, organizations like the PPL and NTPA bring a semi or a truck to each pull for their sponsor banners and the other stuff they haul around. The time, effort, and even money it would save would be worth it. You could save 3-4 rain outs a year with the tarp.

It just seems like with all the money pullers spend going to events, the least that the bigger organizations could purchase a tarp and reduce the likelihood of rain outs by alot.

To me its not a difficult thing to do, and it makes so much sense.

Re: New Market, Iowa August 12, 2009 08:56AM
the facility needs to supply the tarp.the track could very well need covered prior to the event.bg coveres both tracks if rain starts,have seen it done many times,and it has saved a few sessions,and made many pullers and fans happy.

Re: New Market, Iowa August 12, 2009 09:03AM
I think it would still be fairly easy for like the PPL to just take a tarp with them, to each event. The PPL takes an entire trailer load of stuff to each hook as is. The crew is there a few hours prior to the pull anyway, then you know you always have a tarp.

Re: New Market, Iowa, to buckeye August 12, 2009 06:00PM
PAY ATTENTION!
Tarps (or plastic) is sometimes employed DAYS before an event.
Doesn't do much good to have one show up in the PPL semi the night before an event if it is already raining,,,,,,
BTW, Chappel Hill has a tarp and a special crew to deploy it FAST! Don't be in their way if it starts to sprinkle !!!
Venue needs tarp or plastic.
NOT the pulling association,
NOT the sled.

Re: New Market, Iowa August 13, 2009 01:39AM
Yes. It is the day or days before the pull that Make the difference. New Market has put thought into the pulling grounds. The track is raised, drainage ditches and reliefs on both sides, and all water runs away from the track. Gary Mcnees, Jay Sundermann and a cast of people that I am certain that I have forgotten their names that also deserve credit make New MArket a great place to pull and to spend the 4th of July. Thank you, Kevin Stover

Re: New Market, Iowa August 13, 2009 07:15AM
Thanks for the compliment, it really means alot to us here in little old New Market.

Re: New Market, Iowa, to buckeye August 13, 2009 01:51AM
Why wouldnt each association have a tarp?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2009 01:52AM by Buckeye.

Re: New Market, Iowa, to buckeye August 13, 2009 09:28AM
READ MAN!!!
Because it wouldn't do any friggin' good !!!!!!!!!!
What is so hard to understand about that???
If the associations showed up 3 or 4 DAYS ahead of the event, it may do some good. But if you look over the NTPA, PPL, Outlaws schedules, and many state associations schedules, there isn't any free time ahead of the events.
So, who is there DAYS ahead of the event?????
The people putting on the event,,,,,,,,
HELLO???????
You getting any of this, or am I whizzing up a rope?

Re: New Market, Iowa, to buckeye August 14, 2009 05:35AM
It would do any good? LOLEye Popping So like if it started raining just as the pull started, and you had a tarp, it wouldnt help?

Re: New Market, Iowa August 12, 2009 09:08AM
That is probably true, but the tarp/plastic should be at the pulling grounds. As with the New Market pull that Jay and Gary worked on, the tarp was on the track the night before and that is when they really saved the pull.

Re: New Market, Iowa August 12, 2009 09:20AM
doesn't bg have thier tarps at trackside,no matter what the weather is.when it rains they walk down and pull it out.ive been there on tue and wed and i think the tarps were there just in case.

Re: New Market, Iowa August 12, 2009 02:02PM
WIND!! OH CRAP HERE COMES THE WIND!!

Re: New Market, Iowa August 12, 2009 02:11PM
It sounds like a good idea but what about the pit areas and parking ?

Re: New Market, Iowa August 12, 2009 02:32PM
We tarped ours in hubbard a week ahead of time. We got 16 in of rain that week (we feed the cedar river that flooded cedar rapoids). We pulled the tarps on friday afternoon opened it up and let it dry out. There was slop everywhere. I spent 4 hours powerwashing the cat but the track was fine. U need gravel parking to make a tarped track work. And e little boyus that don't mind getting muddy rolling uptarps

Re: New Market, Iowa August 12, 2009 02:54PM
ON A GOOD CLAY TRACK, BUILD THE TRACK AS YOU NORMALLY WOULD. IF THE THREAT OF RAIN IS NEAR PACK THE CRAP OUT OF IT AND IT WILL BE JUST LIKE CONCRETE. US THE GRADER TO TAKE OFF THE TOP COUPLE OF INCHES AND PULL. SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE A GRADER THERE JUST IN CASE. SEEN BG DO IT MANY TIMES.

Re: New Market, Iowa August 12, 2009 02:55PM
you guys did a great job at the pull in Hubbard last year with all the rain we had that week! I pulled Sat. afternoon and you put on a good show that night with the Outlaws, unitill the rains came again.

Re: Tarp for Pulling?? August 12, 2009 02:53PM
Wanna make a bet????? Grinning

J R
Eastern Extreme Pulling
www.easternextremepulling.com
EEPPULLINGVIDEOS

Pro Pulling Magazine
Hook Magazine

Re: Tarp for Pulling?? August 12, 2009 04:16PM
We used plastic and tarps 25-30 yrs ago when we had red river tractor pullers assoc.I was young back then but remember getting soaked a few times. We had stakes to hammer in the ground. It saved a few shows.

Re: Tarp for Pulling?? August 13, 2009 01:52AM
Why wouldnt each association have a tarp, not for days, or weeks before the pull, but for the day of? If they get there and its already raining, and has been raining the show is done anyway. But if a tarp is brought to each event, when the crew gets to the fair grounds, builds a track, and then rain arrives, you can save the track, and get started ASAP after the rain. Instead of hours and hours of track maintenance, if it starts raining after the show starts, then you can tarp it again, and then start pulling right away once it stops.

A tarp isnt gonna save rainouts, just reduce them, and reduce track re-building after rain. Sometimes a front is moving through where inches of rain are getting dumped, then of course its all over. But sometimes its just scattered storms that come and go, and those types of rainouts could be reduced by alot.

Re: Tarp for Pulling?? August 13, 2009 10:39AM
Does anyone have an Idea of where to get that large of a tarp

Re: Tarp for Pulling?? August 13, 2009 12:26PM
A circus.

Re: Tarp for Pulling?? August 14, 2009 05:34AM
Custom Tarps

Re: Tarp for Pulling?? August 14, 2009 06:05AM
Ask Stan Shelton, promoter of Carolina Super Pull. He covered 2 tracks about 400 feet each.

Re: Tarp for Pulling?? August 14, 2009 07:33AM
Good idea, But Hard to handel 50x350 tarp. tracks in the past had smaller tarps layed over each other and always water ran someplace under tarp
and still gave a track problem in several places. If you have a good grader you can save track. The bigest problem is not the track on pre rain before the pull is the in field parking and pits. We had tarps at arcola and gave up on that 20 years ago.
ron b

Re: Tarp for Pulling?? August 14, 2009 09:55AM
At the N T P A pull at Salem IL. the fair bought 3 pieces of plastic 100X40 and covered the track ,it worked well. It rained about an hour before the pull. When it stopped raining they had to add water to work the track.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009