In door pulls March 16, 2020 11:27PM
Why do they allow the sand pile as part of the pulling track? Do we have to kill someone before they change? Engines eating sand front ends being broke.

Re: In door pulls March 17, 2020 12:46AM
Because, they are more interested in putting on a shown of plowing sand, than determining the best tractor and driver, that's why. There is no way of knowing who is the best when you have a sand pile holding you back. The winner is whoever chooses to bury their tractor the deepest into the sand. No thanks! I'll stick to pulling outdoors.

Re: In door pulls March 17, 2020 06:39AM
I understand why the sand pile is there. I assume Aaron does too. It most certainly is a very important part of the safety of everyone involved, pullers a d fans alike. However correct me if I'm wrong Aaron, I understand your question is why is, "Why do they allow the sand pile as part of the pulling track? 
The key words here are using the sand pile as part of the pulling track. They should stop the competition before they engage with the sand pile. That in turn would eliminate the sand pile from being part of the track. Just my observation and opinion.

Re: In door pulls March 17, 2020 02:04AM
The sand piles are to prevent a tractor from plowing into a wall.....

Re: In door pulls March 17, 2020 04:33AM
You've got to have something there to stop them from going too far..If not the building owner and the insurance company would have a fit...It looked like Kansas City used dirt rather than sand..

Re: In door pulls March 17, 2020 05:05AM
For those who have taken a road trip through the mountains... there are runaway truck ramps in some of the more mountainous sections. These ramps are a safely precaution in-case trucks have a brake failure. The ramps are generally sand or very loose gravel by design to absorb energy. They're not packed dirt, and they're not paved in the arrest portion of the ramp. Generally they run uphill if the terrain allows, but there are times when the ramp is at level grade, and I've even seen ramps that run downhill. They're still effective downhill because the loose sand and gravel do such a great job absorbing energy from the vehicle.

A sand pile at the end of the track is a mini version of a runaway truck ramp, they are designed to absorb energy from a runaway vehicle. They are generally much to small at most events... but that's a separate topic. I know some pulls use dirt piles as a way to arrest a runaway vehicle but sand or gravel would be much more effective. Obviously gravel has some serious issues so sand becomes the default choice. The dirt piles at the end of tracks at some indoor events are effective for a slightly light sled setting but they could potentially send a vehicle skyward if a vehicle broke loose. The key to using a dirt pile would be to get the angle of the pile steep enough that the wheelie bars dig in as the front comes up and that would plow the back other tractor to absorb energy. That requires a hard packed pile to overcome the angle of repose for the soil. It's a compromise in most cases.

The sand has a very important job indoors and it protects the driver, crowd, laser crew, etc... yes it can hurt a motor but that pales in comparison to the other potential loses. It's up to the sled operator to put on a safe, but exciting show, the finishline official to know the vehicles & closely monitor ground speed as they come at him, and last but not least, there is a great deal of responsibility on the driver. The driver needs to use judgement as well as assume the majority of the risk during a normal run.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: In door pulls March 17, 2020 06:57AM
There is no excuse to set the sled so that a full pull mark is undefined or in the sand.

For example, watch the first 7 minutes of the video below from Louisville 1977. A definite full pull mark set with plenty of shut down room. 230 (or even 220) is plenty long at that venue. Put another block in the box and move it a gear faster if needed.

video: [youtu.be]

Re: In door pulls March 17, 2020 10:22AM
Now we have someone speaking some common sense! That's what I was saying in my above post. Yes most people understand that the sand pile is there for safety. I dont see where anyone disagrees with the purpose of it. Aaron didnt ask why the sand pile was at the end of the track. He asked why it was used as a part of the pulling track. As in why do they allow tractors to drive onto it and break and damage expensive equipment and chance getting someone hurt. That's my observation and opinion of what I read from opening post.

Re: In door pulls March 17, 2020 10:44AM
1. Pulling is a show. Fans find entertainment value in seeing a tractor in the sand pile. That sells tickets and helps keep events viable.

2. Nearly every pullers goal when they leave the line is to put it in the pile. When one does it the next is determined to put it in farther. Just good old competitive nature. I’ve seen many damage a front end or smoke tube, even an engine and be either back for the finals to try and do it again or right back the following year.

Now some will not pull again at that venue or not winter pull at all for these reasons which is perfectly fine. Everyone is entitled to make their own choices. Most understand the risks involved and accept them.

Re: In door pulls March 17, 2020 12:09PM
Of coarse you have to understand now its usually kids spending grandpas farm money and don't care!

Re: In door pulls March 17, 2020 12:47PM
anyone touching the sandpile should be a full pull or 10 ft before for safety reasons

Re: In door pulls March 17, 2020 01:30PM
I agree Lewis, it is unfair for some of the guys who get in the sand that lifted to prevent damage or possibly Injuring someone, just for the committee to say after a few others pull and hit the sand a little harder, well we are gonna make a full pull 6 inches beyond the guy who lifted first. What a disaster and slap in the face to the guy who had common sense! No one can tell me that that is tractor pulling! Especially when no one knows who the best tractor or driver is because of a sand pile that stopped them all. Total joke! Don't get me wrong, it does get the crowd cranked up when one hits the sand and that's ok as long as only one gets there, if 2 make it, then there should be a pulloff, plain and simple. Don't keep moving the line, based on who is pulling. That is like telling a baseball player his homerun doesn't count because it didn't hit the upper deck!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,678, Posts: 229,780, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member Jason