LEGO pulling (to scratch that itch)! March 20, 2020 01:39AM
With the COVID-19 virus shutting down a lot of our travels (and pulling) I got bored and needed to do some pulling! I pulled out my LEGO's from when I was a kid (over 40 years ago). In the past my cousin and I had our own pulling league back then (around 1977 or 78). The moline is pretty close to original. The IH had to be rebuilt a little as some of the parts are currently lost (the rest are new). I spent Saturday & Sunday getting these back together. Then my son (Luke) and I had a pull! The video is some of the action...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2020 01:40AM by ccarlisle.

Re: LEGO pulling (to scratch that itch)! March 20, 2020 04:32AM
I have the expert builder Lego modified.havent looked at it in like 15 years,if I remember correct it could be built with twin v12,or 4 v8 with chain drive superchargers.it is electric powered with a sled too..I have the mf 1100 from the early 80s too.

Re: LEGO pulling (to scratch that itch)! March 20, 2020 05:00AM
Patches... I always wanted the pulling tractor!

Re: LEGO pulling (to scratch that itch)! March 20, 2020 08:49AM
Seen one on ebay last year for 425 to 430..insane

Stompers March 20, 2020 09:19AM
We will have to bring the Stompers back out.
Taped a bunch of batteries together and look out!

I had a couple old Erector sets that I made a sled for the playskool OBS 2wd and playskool Bigfoot to pull.

1970s and 1980s

Re: Stompers March 20, 2020 10:06AM
Same here! done the exact same thing
Put sand in the paint and put it on a board for a track
My two boys have done a lot with legos too but no stompers they would have loved those

Re: Stompers March 20, 2020 10:44AM
We had Stomper truck pulls at almost every family get together. We had some that were modified! Great memories!There was another brand similar to stompers that had wider tires we adapted them to the stompers.

Rough riders March 20, 2020 11:04AM
Rough riders was the other brand. I just remembered. They had wider tires. If you shaved them down, man they would bite!

Re: Rough riders March 27, 2020 10:07AM
Where I lived in WIsconsin years ago 3-4 of the local taverns would have bartop Stomper pulls. Someone figured out how to put a 9v battery in one.. Pulled like crazy but that little motor would not last too long. I had a backstock of standby units.

Re: Stompers March 20, 2020 11:31AM
Legos and Stompers in the same topic... awesome! Those were my two favorite childhood toys. I had the stomper pulling sled and my neighbor Ray Siuta had one too. We'd spend hours with that stupid thing pulling across the carpet, linoleum, dirt and every other surface to see who would win. I had a Subaru Brat Stomper that was head and shoulders above my other Stompers and it would crush everything that Ray had. He probably had twice as many as me because he was on a quest to beat that Subaru... he rarely did. I remember the skinny foam tires were easy to change, the skinny hard rubber ones where tricky for a little kid, and then they came out with the wider rubber ones that were a much gummier rubber and weren't bad to swap around. We played in a dirt pile at the edge of the woods behind my house for hours and hours making trails for those little trucks. Good times.

I don't have any Stompers but I still have my Legos and my kids love them. We continue to expand our Lego collection and there are tons of awesome ones now days and some pretty great options for girls too. I still have fun helping the kids build with them... although I do less building and spend my time listening to them say "dad, I can't find this piece can you find it for me?"

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Stompers March 20, 2020 02:10PM
My cousin lived next door to me and we were young gear heads. We used to get together on Saturdays and do our pulling. We would work all week on new designs so we could pull. This is where I learned a lot of engineering basics. We learned how to wire batteries in series and parallel. Our designs were based on pullers at the time. I had a turbine that was hooked up to a train transformer (my cousins idea). The IH tractor was designed after Jerry Van Dorpe. We both wound up in engineering jobs.

We had Stomper pulls when I was around 16. I hollowed out the stomper and put the LEGO motor inside. I ran (3) 6-volt batteries into my hybrid "stomper" and I flipped the sled when I made the pull (which was a full pull). I got DQ'd and told not to come back. Those were fun times!

Here's a few iterations that I made of a twin motor tractor. It was made to mount (4) motor (I just never had the 4 motors)...

Canon350XT 012

Canon350XT 010

Re: Stompers March 21, 2020 03:48PM
I also had a Subaru brat that beat everything in my 7th grade shop class! The teacher would give us 10 minutes at the end of the class to hook them ass to ass and pull! If kids now days only knew how to entertain themselves!

Re: LEGO pulling (to scratch that itch)! March 20, 2020 12:46PM
I still have my Stomper Sled and also have the sled for the Big Foot & King Kong that came out great times hook a 9 volt battery to a stomper and strap it to the hood to hold the front end down and Send It lol great great times

Re: Stompwrs and Meccano March 20, 2020 02:01PM
Had the Stompers but the stomper sled was too light for the stomper Semi.
Built sled from meccano erector set.
Wire the stomper semi to a 6 volt lantern battery and it would full pull the 8ft pool table with 3 pool balls on the pan and the 6 volt battery in the transfer box.

Re: Stompwrs and Meccano March 21, 2020 01:14AM
Ha ha the Ford got DQ'd. I gave you a thumbs up.

Re: Stompwrs and Meccano March 27, 2020 02:18AM
What a memory, I loved my stompers, used to glue extra wheels together to make them wider, until one fateful day in 3rd grade when I was playing in the sandbox at recess with a girl I thought was cute (because she played stompers with me) I was going to let my stomper climb up her back like a spider, but did not consider the problem her long brown curly hair may be. With in a few seconds her hair was tangled around the wheels and I was in big trouble. Needless to say I was relieved of all of my stompers for good. The teacher had to call her mom in to cut the toy out of her hair, and I got in big trouble. The funny thing is she has also never forgot as it was brought up to me at our 25 year class reunion.

Stompers are DANGEROUS! March 27, 2020 03:16AM
Kraze, That's some funny stuff right there! I dont care who you are!
Stompers, Live for ever!

Re: Stompers are DANGEROUS! March 27, 2020 03:51AM
Funny ? Hell,that's a country song if I ever heard one.

Re: LEGO pulling (to scratch that itch)! March 27, 2020 07:32AM
I got the Stomper Pull set for my birthday, possibly the best present ever. I used solid lead 158 grain .357 bullets my dad had cast but rejected for use as weights in the transfer. Bundled them up in sets of 3 or 4 and used masking tape to make it easy to add weight.

Then my cousin happened along, stepped on the sled and broke it in half one day and that was the end of that.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009