Moderater's May 07, 2020 03:10AM
I would be interested in knowing how many moderators have actually sat their butts on a pulling vehicle ? They seem to know all the ins and outs of pulling, How many have owned one and know what it cost to operate one, they all seem to have vast knowledge of pulling, THERE IS KNOW WAY anyone would have a clue what it takes to run one competitive without owning one, ive owned 5 over the years and own one now, some of these remarks are dead on and end up getting deleted by one of the powers to be that apparently dont know !!! NTPA has NEVER taken care of the pullers return compared to what the puller has done for NTPA -- and thats just one of many topics !!! So i was just curious to how many moderators have actually tried to run one and knows before they actually comment or delete opinions !!!

Re: Moderater's May 07, 2020 04:02AM
Since I am one of the moderators I will tell you how I go about deleting a post. I deleted 90% of posts because of the language that is used in the post. This has to be a family friendly site. And my tolerance level is zero when it comes to using the name of the Lord in vain or disrespecting my Savior. Those posts go, I don't care what the content is. You don't need to swear and blaspheme to post a message. And the second part of that question is no I have never owned a pulling tractor and I never intended to own a pulling tractor. And I can ask you this, do you own a website? Since you are comfortable asking me if I've ever driven a pulling tractor I feel comfortable asking you about a website. My son Jake is the owner, code writer and financier of this website the rest of us are moderators trying to do the best job we can.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2020 04:11AM by Dick Morgan.

Re: Moderater's May 07, 2020 04:37AM
Therightreartire183, who is your comment refering to, mine or Dicks? And no Dick ive never owned a website, im sure its very frustrating, i too WILL NOT TOLERATE ANYTHING AGAINST MY SAVIOR either period !!! Now as far as being a promoter, sled builder and running an event, yes i have, but you have to look at it like this --- but promoting one show a yr or two -( doesn't happen often ) to running a competition vehicle all summer plus running your own business or working a job and keeping maintenance up and repairs i quit hectic -- but we all choose to do what we do !!!

Re: Moderater's May 07, 2020 04:13AM
They also have never been a promoter and know exactly how to run an event and how to build a track and how to set the sleds

Re: Moderater's May 07, 2020 04:32AM
This opens up a whole can of worms doesn’t it?

It’s like people who don’t vote but complain about their government. The people that complain about China but spend thousands on cheap electronics at a Walmart, etc.

You don’t have to OWN a pulling vehicle to know a lot about the sport. There are specifics that pullers WOULD know more about though. That doesn’t mean people can’t have an opinion. Good grief, people complain about everything.

Re: Moderater's May 08, 2020 12:27AM
One of the things you have to be careful of is making assumptions but since you asked.

1) Yes I have built and driven pulling vehicles. Granted on a low level but I am enough of an engineer to look at a GN Prostock and scale what I have done and fully appreciate the time, effort and money it takes to build and campaign that vehicle.
2) Yes I am a promoter, again on a small scale. But I know first hand the time, effort and dollars it takes to put on that pull and it doesn't take much imagination to scale that to a state, regional or grand national pull. Bottom line, they are all a lot of work and take a lot of resources.
3) I am not that good at building tracks but I have people that are VERY good at using what dirt/tools are available. I ask questions and learn from those people and hopefully someday I can get to that level.
4) I would not tell a sled operator how to set THEIR sled; that is their job, they are the expert. The only time (as a promoter) that I would interfere is if they wanted to use the drop pan on a MPH antique class. That is just mean...

The bottom line is it doesn't really matter, moderating is about did you follow the rules. For me, I just help tidy up Jake's house so it has to be pretty far off in the weeds for me to delete a post. However, there is a more mundane side to moderation as well. Deleting for sale items that have been sold; fixing broken links; fixing spelling/typos that derail a thread and assisting in posting pictures. Anybody can do that, a pulling resume is not required. But the cool thing is, believe it or not, even though we don't own GN Pro Stock we do care and are all vested in the sport.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2020 12:33AM by mh49.

Re: Moderater's May 07, 2020 05:36AM
So that's a really really interesting discussion. I could also give you tons of examples of people who own something and don't have a clue about it Owning something, driving something, etc... doesn't automatically make you an expert. Sure some guys are very very knowledgeable but some guys don't even know the rules in the own class. As Just Sayin' said, it opens up a pretty big can of worms if actual experience is your standard for an opinion. It's not an accurate gauge.

It's easy to delete posts where people are using bad language, no need to drive a tractor to know that. It's easy to delete a post where people are acting inappropriate, no need to drive a tractor to figure that out. It's easy to see when an anonymous person bashes an organization (like the NTPA or PPL) or a business while hiding in anonymity, no need to drive a tractor for that. If you want to share a negative experience or comment there's a way to do it... with your name. The rules of this page are very, very, very simple and they've been the same for +20 years. It' only take about a minute to read them and they are pretty easy to follow. Posts that violate those rules will be deleted and those are the simple criteria we all use. Owning/driving/building a tractor has absolutely nothing to do with website moderation.

As you and my father both pointed out, you've never owned a truck and tractor puling website. If I used your logic I would say that you have no idea how to moderate a site and how to run and maintain a site. I could also use that logic and say that this sites moderator don't own the site so they should even have a say in how this site is run or maintained. Clearly I don't believe that, so I let other people whom I trust make decisions as well. I don't ask if they've sat in the seat and I don't give them a pulling knowledge quiz, I simply know them and trust them to make logical and thoughtful decisions. I just know their good people with a level head. I also trust the registered users and allow them to self moderate, people with a registered account can self-edit their own posts.

As a side note, I can think of two guys that are moderators on this page and I'd put their knowledge of this sport up against absolutely anyone. They know more about this sport than you or I combined ever will. I don't believe they've ever sat in the seat and gone down the track and they would own both of us in ANY conversation about this motorsport.

That's my moderator criteria.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Moderater's May 07, 2020 05:58AM
Thats why i dont comment on owning pr running a website !!! FYI -- ive been a puller for 40 plus yrs, seen alot of changes over the yrs, some good some not so good -- but dont sell me short on my knowledge of pulling and how the game is played --- ive pulled from Bowling Green to Langford an Wisconsin to Alabama, and all points in between.Thanks for what you do Jake an Dick im sure its nerve racking at times !!!

Re: Moderater's May 07, 2020 06:45AM
I'm in no way selling you short, and I think there is great insight that comes with pulling, I don't want to discount that in any way, I'm simply saying that driving/hooking/owning/building insight and knowledge isn't necessary for moderation.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2020 09:09AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Moderater's May 07, 2020 07:35AM
Twood, i know what you mean, i went to Bowling Green back in the early 90s, and i was lined up between Edsen and Rob Russell in the 9500lb Super Stock, they put about 50ft on me, lol, ( i knew it was coming ), buy hey, i can say ive hooked at Bowling Green, Ohio !!!

Re: Moderater's May 07, 2020 09:03AM
Qualifications for a moderator:

I have owned a pulling tractor and hooked to a pulling sled a few times but that doesn't make me a puller. It hasn’t kept me from asking questions however of some exceptionally smart pullers about various subjects and observing how to weight a tractor or read a track.

I didn't build that tractor, but it isn't hard to comprehend the hours and dollars that go into building a pulling vehicle. I am also fully aware of how tough a stretch it is for many pullers for the months of July and August to juggle pulling and work. Its incredible to see that dedication happen live and in person.

I have never promoted a pull but that doesn't keep me from knowing what a well-run, successful pull looks like and asking the right questions with the best promoters in the sport when I see something that strikes my curiosity.

I work with the PPL and worked with the NTPA prior to 2013. Those relationships offer me observations about sanctioning bodies, and again I think I ask the right questions to get the answers I seek.

I also watch about 8 to 10 thousand hooks a year, on average. 3mph or 33mph, I see them all.

I have come to the conclusion that the mere action of a pulling vehicle going down a track is only 10% of the pulling equation. It’s about the fans who save money and work overtime or swap shifts to get to go to a pull. It’s about pullers running the roads and scurry around to get ready to pull but take the time to visit with fans when they are at an event. It’s about the promoters who have sleepless nights because the forecast calls for rain, let alone a pandemic they have to stare down. It’s about tech officials who make tough calls that no one likes but someone has to make them. It’s about sled operators who catch naps when they can because a pull ends at 2am and they have 200 miles to their next pull with a noon start.

And I am a moderator here; I would think this resume offers that I’m worthy to do so. It is no different than Bob Costas calling and analyzing a baseball game, he has the resume to back that up and never saw a fastball on the inside corner from Pedro Martinez.

Every moderator here loves the sport as much as I do and whatever their experience in the sport is good enough to make completely reasonable decisions about page content.

I make mistakes moderating the page; so be it. I have also recently taken a step back from being active here much because, in light of our times, the page has gone down a rabbit path unlike we ever imagined. All I ask is for folks that post is to stay on topic. I also like to be able to identify who I respond to...an IP address is a valuable tool in getting context behind a comment many times.

And one more thing: the most important part of pulloff by sheer numbers is the for-sale page. Hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions get transacted off of classifieds there every year…how many of you donate back for that service the page provides? I do! Thank you to those of you who do donate, and if you don’t…well…hint…hint...

I’m going back in my hole again…got work to do. Stay well, and let’s go pulling…and soon.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Moderater's May 07, 2020 06:56AM
One of my favorite announcer now retired Bill Lano go around the pit before the pull starts and visits with pullers. He ask many question about the puller and their machine. The puller is free to answer as many of the question as they want. I once went to local pull and the only class I could pull in was HDSS. He told the crowd that my tractor is only a LLSS and that i was there to support the Lyons club and fun. I got last place which was expected but the crowd gave me a standing applause. Got beat by Edsen Lehn only by 92 feet.

Re: Moderater's May 07, 2020 12:18PM
As long as we're asking questions....How many people that own/drive pulling tractor actually built them? Anyone can spend money and buy something, but how many actually did their homework and built a winner???

Re: Moderater's May 07, 2020 01:10PM
My “resume”:
I went to my first tractor pull when I was a week old.
I was a two-time Upton Days pedal pull champion in the late 90s/early 00s. My career would have lasted longer if I had grew out instead of up, but alas, my legs got too long to keep competing. :p
I have filmed more hooks and traveled more miles than I care to admit—even though this is just my ninth year of Let’s Go Pulling.

Do I still feel qualified to be a moderator? I do. A lot of the actions have zero to do with motorsports experience.

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Moderater's May 07, 2020 01:22PM
John Murray
My “resume”:
I went to my first tractor pull when I was a week old.
I was a two-time Upton Days pedal pull champion in the late 90s/early 00s. My career would have lasted longer if I had grew out instead of up, but alas, my legs got too long to keep competing. :p
I have filmed more hooks and traveled more miles than I care to admit—even though this is just my ninth year of Let’s Go Pulling.

Do I still feel qualified to be a moderator? I do. A lot of the actions have zero to do with motorsports experience.

John I wont delete your post even though you grew up on the wrong side of the county line in Uptown....Spinning You cant help it! Grinning

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Re: Moderater's May 07, 2020 03:03PM
Bryan,

Feel free to delete John simply because he's clearly lying. I call BS on his pedal pull champion claim. Here's the only possible way it happened:, It was probably the Light Limited Super Stock Pedal Pull class (his favorite, well, that and he didn't have the Horsepower for the full LSS Pedal Pull class). It was probably completely filled with 6, 7, and maybe an 8 year old or two that could still make weight... John? Well, John was in his junior year in high school but he was light enough to make weight so he just squeaked out a win with his knee's flailing in the air. That's the only possible or logical explanation if there's any truth to his claim. (or maybe I'm just jealous of his metabolism Grinning )

Bryan, John, Steve, and ALL the other moderators, thanks for your help. Without you guys lending a hand this would never be possible for me to maintain on my own. It's more than a full time job and I can't watch the page for every second of every day. The page would crush me if it wasn't for your help and assistance. There are hundreds and hundreds of people on the page at any given time and the website traffic just continues to grow and grow year after year. The bigger it's gotten the quicker things can go sideways. Sincerely, thank you for your help and thank you for your passion for this motorsport.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2020 04:02PM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Moderater's May 08, 2020 06:38AM
Jake Morgan
Feel free to delete John simply because he's clearly lying. I call BS on his pedal pull champion claim. Here's the only possible way it happened:, It was probably the Light Limited Super Stock Pedal Pull class (his favorite, well, that and he didn't have the Horsepower for the full LSS Pedal Pull class). It was probably completely filled with 6, 7, and maybe an 8 year old or two that could still make weight... John? Well, John was in his junior year in high school but he was light enough to make weight so he just squeaked out a win with his knee's flailing in the air. That's the only possible or logical explanation if there's any truth to his claim. (or maybe I'm just jealous of his metabolism Grinning ).

It most certainly is a jealousy issue. I was the Conner Brothers of the pedal pulling world. During one of my last events there was a "sled malfunction" near the end of my hook. Then, of course, the most egregious of things: they changed the classifications from being based on weight to being based on AGE! Just imagine: I could still be dominating today!

(For those keeping score at home. I was 10 and 12 when I won those championships.)

John Murray

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Moderater's May 08, 2020 07:19AM
What John isnt telling us is that he concealed a pair of compact grease guns, one in each pant leg, to drop grease on the track with every revolution of the pedals to grease the pan. After the "GreaseGate 2002" turmoil in the Larue County Herald, pedal pull participants had to go through a metal detector before and after their runs. That was effective until Finus Rigdon's boy Gosnell was disqualified for having a plastic grease canister in his pants that exploded...what a mess...ruined the fried apple pies and cakes that were being given away at the cake walk adjacent to the track. Gosnell's leg is discolored from that red Primrose grease to this day...

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Re: Moderater's May 08, 2020 08:37AM
Just like John to ruin it for everyone!

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Moderater's May 08, 2020 08:43AM
Dick Morgan
Just like John to ruin it for everyone!

Wait until I drop a big bombshell during the HBO documentary. We’re starting production this Fall.
It’ll make the scheme in McMillions look like child’s play...

John Murray

Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Moderater's May 08, 2020 09:58AM
John i find hard to believe you could of won those championships if Jed Johnson was in them with his hypermax converse roller ballshoes on !!!!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,624, Posts: 229,684, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,897.

Our newest member JD_8520