Some Concept Class Ideas May 08, 2020 01:10PM
Here's a PM I sent a Light Pro competitor in February...

Dear Jon Doe -

For starters, I can find something I like or think is cool about every class/division in pulling. Overall, pullers' have done an amazing job building/buying competition vehicles in their respective classes. A good example of this is the SF division. That class has done amazing things with a 640 3x3 set-up (and I think that class offers some of the best looking tractors).

I also agree (to an extent) we already have too many classes. The problem is most of the existing classes in pulling have flawed competition rules, and have no interest in making meaningful rule changes to eliminate/reduce those flaws. (That's the main reason why I like the Light Pro class... I like the rules).

So... both these concepts could be new classes... or two existing classes could make rule changes to accommodate these set-ups.

Concept #1:

I would like to see a "skinny-tire" class with a turbo bigger than a 3" inlet. The goal of this class would be to try and consolidate all the various 3" inlet classes by bumping them up to a slightly bigger turbo (like the 3.6 turbo the trucks run). Plus, that turbo is also big enough some Light Pro guys that have no desire to chase 3,000+HP might prefer having a pulling tractor in the 2,000 HP range.

Much like drag racing has done, pulling might benefit by changing-up the tire size.? So, I'd like to see this class run the 20.8 tires (probably 20.8x38 since there is already a pulling-specific tire at that size... but 20.8x42 might be even cooler).

This could easily happen with one simple rule change to the PPL/NTPA Hot Farm class... by just dropping the turbo inlet restriction (currently, NTPA HF runs a 3x3.5 turbo). With just a turbo exhaust restriction of 3.5 those tractors would likely run a 3.6x3.5 turbo (similar to how the Light Pros can run 4.6x4.5). Think about the potential of this class and how it could compliment the Light Pro class.

If you would build this class from scratch, I'd probably make the cubes 480 and possibly run the radial 20.8x42 tires... but 510 with 20.8x38 tires works fine. I also think 9500 lbs is a good weight bc it will help the skinny-tires hook-up and you don't want pullers spending big money to lighten-up their tractors (like many in your class have done).

Concept #2:

I would like to see an alcohol or gas class that makes power somewhere in between the LLSS and the LSS (maybe target 2,000 - 2500 HP). I envision this class being non-component... and possibly doing what I previously said Light Pro should consider doing (run a tractor rear-end but remove the OEM bell and transmission housings).

I like the alcohol classes, but many don't like alcohol combined with component chassis bc it's too far away from a stock tractor. This concept class would have matching tractor chassis, sheet metal, block and head. It would be as much "tractor" as any other class, other than fuel (and you could make it a gas class if that helped make it more marketable to pullers, fans, promoters, etc.).

So it would have rules something like this:

480 cubes
24.5x32 tires
OEM chassis
OEM head (diesel converted to alcohol/gas)
8500 lbs
4.1x4.5 turbo
In-line 6 cylinders or less only

It might be fun to even allow a ProCharger (specked to the equivalent HP of a 4.1x4.5 turbo).

I think this would be another cool class that hits a sweet-spot not currently provided.

The other thing to consider with this Concept Class #2... is building it to a spec where it could be the "spark ignition" equivalent to the Light Pros. Theoretically, that would position both classes to be able to run together... which could be intriguing.

So there ya go... a skinny-tire diesel class that's the bridge between HF and LPS and a alcohol or gas class that's the bridge between LLSS and LSS. I think both could be successful stand-alone new classes or HF could become Concept Class #1 and the Light Pros could allow the Concept #2 spec in their class... making LPS the modern equivalent of the SS class before the fuel split.

I know... I have lots of crazy ideas! lol

All the best,
Wayne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2020 01:44PM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Some Concept Class Ideas May 08, 2020 11:55PM
Wayne; Normally I'm not one that wants to start another class. In fact, at one time I thought that pulling had to many classes already. However I am not sure that if this isn't the perfect time to look at bringing out other classes. With the financial situations that some businesses are going to experience this may be the perfect fit for the state and local club level of pulling. And for me concept #1 is the more interesting proposal. I am not sure how many pullers want to go down the gas/alcohol road. The one thing I would add is, for me the class is to heavy. I also think that all tractor classes should not be any heavier than 8500 lbs. That also includes PS. The first question that comes to mind for me is the availability of parts and builders that can supply needed parts. However pullers by and large love the challenge of new projects.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2020 12:54AM by Dick Morgan.

Allow factory fuel in ALL single charger classes May 09, 2020 06:37AM
Tired of diesel only classes, want to get my interest, allow LP and gas in all current single charger classes. No alcohol, but definitely factory fuels.

Re: Allow factory fuel in ALL single charger classes May 09, 2020 06:42AM
JY1979
Tired of diesel only classes, want to get my interest, allow LP and gas in all current single charger classes. No alcohol, but definitely factory fuels.

Amen. Factory fuel should be allowed, no questions asked.

Re: Some Concept Class Ideas May 09, 2020 05:19AM
skinny tires but bigger turbo than super farm????????? why?????? why not just give super farm a bigger turbo problem solved. hot farm is fine why change hot farm to a higher horse power class than suepr farm?????? a class between lite super and limited lite super??? why theyr fine why do we need to fill in a gap between every class. why do we need any more single turbo classes we already got way to many single turbo classes. what do you have a tractors that fits these rules already and you want a class of your own?????

Re: Some Concept Class Ideas May 09, 2020 06:15AM
We already have a bigger turbo superfarm class , it is called limited pro.

Re: Some Concept Class Ideas May 09, 2020 07:36AM
There's already too many classes and too many sanctioning bodies. Pulling was better in the 80s when there was only really NTPA and the same rules applied for state and national.

Re: Some Concept Class Ideas May 09, 2020 07:44AM
Im with JY factory fuel should be allowed in all classes no exceptions and i like alcohol But thats not a factory fuel

Re: Some Concept Class Ideas May 09, 2020 12:10PM
I think the proposed classes are too similar to existing ones.

However, what we do need is more tractors that work on the mini sled. I would propose something like the mini pros but allowing LP, gasoline, and maybe E85 since it supports farmers.

Re: Some Concept Class Ideas May 09, 2020 01:07PM
4 cylinder max compact/utility type class?

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Some Concept Class Ideas May 09, 2020 02:58PM
Yeah . Something like a 4bt Cummins though. A lot of the smaller engines i see ( 75/90 ci ) cant seem to stay lit unfortunately.

Re: Some Concept Class Ideas May 09, 2020 03:28PM
[www.pulloff.com]

Re: Some Concept Class Ideas May 10, 2020 06:13AM
Wayne, i would support this and i would put a 3.6 on my hot farm if it meant i could pull at GN events. But i think the easiest thing to do would be putting 4.1s on super farms and just making super farm and limited pros one class. Then bump up the hot farm class to make that into the new super farm class. A 9500 hot farm class of 30+ tractors at tomah would be really neat to see. Its a very competitive class that is more affordable than the rest. NTPA needs a some what of an entry level class. I wouldn't want to see farm or antique tractors at a GN event but i feel like that if spectators saw hot farms at tomah or bowling green itd make dreams come true for people who always wanted to be a GN NTPA puller to come true. LLSS would also be a good candidate for this.

Re: Some Concept Class Ideas May 10, 2020 07:40AM
Let hot farm run a 23.1 by 34 tires to !

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,629, Posts: 229,692, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,900.

Our newest member JD_8520