Oliver 880 vs 1650 May 24, 2020 09:55AM
I’m looking for knowledge about the similarities and differences between an Oliver 880 and 1650.

What parts can be interchangeable? Can you take ring gear and pinion out of one and put in the other? Are they the same? Completely different? 1650 much stronger than an 880?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Re: Oliver 880 vs 1650 May 24, 2020 12:33PM
We have run both in econo-mod tractors. The 88/880 had an issue of breaking the top shaft rear bearing casting. We were making about 650 HP at the time. The 1650 had some modifications, it had some gears removed and a bearing plate put in their place between the upper shaft and the counter shaft. It also had a roller bearing suport that ran against the ring gear to keep it in better alignment with the pinion. We were running about 750 HP with that setup and did strip some gears once. Keep in mind that we ran all stock gears and shafts with nothing being custom made other than the braces and we did run though the transmission gears.

S'no Farmer

Re: Oliver 880 vs 1650 May 25, 2020 12:45PM
Thanks...I’ve had some other guys reach out to me today as well and that seems to all be the common consensus. Run a guide behind the ring gear (cam follower?). Our top shaft is a billet shaft. Do we still need the bearing plate to support the top shaft? Rest of the transmission would be stock Oliver

Re: Oliver 880 vs 1650 May 25, 2020 02:20PM
What class are you going to pull in

Re: Oliver 880 vs 1650 May 26, 2020 05:17AM
Mine has a steel plate about 1" thick and 3" wide that is long enough to reach between the top shaft and the countershaft with bearings that fit the shafts. This kept the shafts from flexing and letting the gears lose engagement distance. I forget which gears were removed, I only used the higher gears so it was the lower gears that were removed to make room. I'm not sure if the main issue was the top shaft or the counter shaft flexing . This tractor had been a LtSS when I bought it and had these mods when I got it. The part that ran against the ring gear was just a 1/2" plate with a bearing on each side that ran against the gear. I don't remember what it was bolted to but it was a small part not much bigger that the bearings themselves.

S'no Farmer

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,640, Posts: 229,706, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520