When and where was the first TWD class? June 26, 2020 06:35AM
I saw Tommy Brewer's Home Brew do an exhibition pass at NFMS in either '81 or '82, but that probably means the class was already established locally by then.

Anyone know when the first twd class occurred? And where? Did TWD start in Kentucky or somewhere else?

Re: When and where was the first TWD class? June 27, 2020 11:06AM
I would almost have to say it started in KY, somewhere between Georgetown and Warsaw or even maybe Vevay, Indiana. But not sure on year, 1980ish is close, but remember the modified 2wd ran several years before that, the naturally aspirated ones that is.

Eric Prewitt
The Prewitt Pulling Team
Public Relations for
The Pulling Radio Network

Re: When and where was the first TWD class? June 27, 2020 12:31PM
The Original Michael
I saw Tommy Brewer's Home Brew do an exhibition pass at NFMS in either '81 or '82, but that probably means the class was already established locally by then.

Anyone know when the first twd class occurred? And where? Did TWD start in Kentucky or somewhere else?

Charlie Kincaid (from Rising Sun, IN) hooked his street truck at a pull in Vevay IN He later had a 78 chevy with a blown big block in it that he ran for many years.
Charlie Kincaid, Eddie and Hansel Sullivan, and Tommy Brewer had the first 2wd trucks around 1978
Southern Indiana and Northern Kentucky had many pulls.

I think I have some photos of Kincaid's Swiss Miss 2wd I'll scan and post from the Pro Shows Rupp Arena Pulls and some pulls at Georgetown, KY.
Georgetown had some great pulls back in the 80s / many 2wds from Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky would battle it out there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2020 06:46AM by kevinh.

Re: When and where was the first TWD class? June 27, 2020 03:17PM
My wife and I put on a pull in 1977 or 1978 that had a class for 2WD trucks. Most of the competitors were running in the 4WD class at that time and would take out the front drive shaft and run the 2WD class. There wasn't much in the way of rules the first time we did it and I'll never forget Charlie Kincaid running a chain up over the back of the bed and hooking it up by the back of the cab. That truck would lift the front wheels about 5' in the air and just stay there all the way down the track. The next year I was afraid someone would get hurt so I made a rule that they had to run a 20" hitch like the tractors, they didn't like that at all! Back then the trucks I remember most were Charlie Kincaid and Hansel Sullivan.

S'no Farmer

Re: When and where was the first TWD class? June 28, 2020 08:30AM
Swiss Miss 2wd
Pro Shows Pull at Rupp Arena

Re: When and where was the first TWD class? June 28, 2020 08:34AM
Pro Shows Pulling Program

Re: When and where was the first TWD class? June 28, 2020 08:44AM
Full Tilt

Re: When and where was the first TWD class? June 28, 2020 08:58AM
1986 pull
Lexington KY

Re: When and where was the first TWD class? June 28, 2020 02:25PM
Dale WILLIS had a tough truck back in the day

Re: When and where was the first TWD class? June 28, 2020 04:00PM
The events I talked about earlier Charlie had a 4x4 that was a 65 or so long bed stepside Chevy truck that he would run in the 2WD class and Hansel had a 62 or so Ford 4x4 wide bed. I think Hansel pulled in the 2WD class but I can't say for sure, to many years ago.

S'no Farmer

Re: When and where was the first TWD class? June 29, 2020 05:10AM
Looking at the program from Rupp Arena in 86, was that the year they had a track for both mud races and pulling trucks?

Re: When and where was the first TWD class? Video Link Vevay Indiana July 01, 2020 01:10PM
S'no Farmer
The events I talked about earlier Charlie had a 4x4 that was a 65 or so long bed stepside Chevy truck that he would run in the 2WD class and Hansel had a 62 or so Ford 4x4 wide bed. I think Hansel pulled in the 2WD class but I can't say for sure, to many years ago.

S'no Farmer

Video link:
[www.youtube.com]
check out 8 minutes and 30 seconds into the video

Vevay In with Harold Hayes, Charlie Kincaid, and Travis Coomer.

I've got a Pulling Power article from the 80s that I'll dig up that has the history on Vevay, IN 2wd (the article and photos have: Archie Coffman, Hansel Sullivan, Tom Carter, Charlie Kincaid, Harold Hayes - Stopper Sled etc. / looking for it - i'll scan and post it.

That was some good brush pulling back then all up and down the Ohio River Valley.

Re: When and where was the first TWD class? June 30, 2020 05:40AM
Allensville Indiana, Switzerland co tractor pullers Harold Hayes and the stopper sled is I believe where it all started

Re: When and where was the first TWD class? August 30, 2022 01:13AM
In 1978 Bob Borba built a funny car puller. It was a purpose built vehicle combining the 2 sports he loved. It debuted at the San Francisco Cow Palace. It had a blown 468ci BBC and a 24” hitch. It weighted about 4500 lbs. Hu used Firestone 18.4 x16 tractor tires in the rear. It was an impressive wheel stander.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,724, Posts: 229,854, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,084, Posts: 225,979.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro