Sled settings July 29, 2020 01:34PM
Built Diesel Mafia videos of Saline City Indiana. Watch. Comment.

Re: Sled settings July 29, 2020 01:59PM
Kid on the 1466 didn't look like he had any problem. Other people were going the same speed and ended up in the same spot. The 6030 needs a clutch.

They try and park everyone in a hole with the pan. Just creates a drag race instead of a tractor pull.

Re: Sled settings July 30, 2020 08:44AM
Open farm
They try and park everyone in a hole with the pan. Just creates a drag race instead of a tractor pull.

well....in all honesty, that's what the sport of "pulling (?)" has become ever since we started using a weight transfer sled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2020 09:50AM by John Murray.

Re: Sled settings July 30, 2020 08:47AM
Not if you set the sled up for a tractor pull. Put the pan on the ground and send the box up not the other way around.

Re: Sled settings July 30, 2020 11:34AM
So maybe just go hook a plow somewhere then? and quite whining.

Re: Sled settings July 30, 2020 01:40PM
I don't think it's whining as much as it's just some folks , such as myself, wanting to see a tractor actually "pull" a sled that's weighted heavy from the get-go and have to pull it a certain distance down the track., (if that makes any sense).

I'd just like to see a different "style" of pulling , with a different "objective" to it, but I'm a stock tractor pulling guy anyway, so.......

Re: Sled settings July 30, 2020 01:57PM
It makes a lot of sence enough that we are having a three day fair the llss class is going to pull tomorrow night night the track is 310 i have a 4600 ford 52 hp hooked to a bushhog bet i can get within 75 foot or less of the 1500 horse tractors just because theres nothing going on at the 200 ft mark

Re: Sled settings July 30, 2020 02:25PM
JDpowershift, apparently you never witnessed a dead weight pull where either 15' or 20' was a full pull. A full pull very seldom happened. Because the huge deep tire holes and resulting mound of dirt, after each hook in usually a quite large # of entries, where formidable obstacles to overcome along with a much overloaded steel pan sled.

Do I desire to go back to that pulling style. No. Do I think that today there is too much 'race pulling'? Yes.

Re: Sled settings July 30, 2020 03:24PM
amish you should just go watch drag racing instead with all the other adhd kids.

Re: Sled settings August 01, 2020 06:05AM
longtimer
JDpowershift, apparently you never witnessed a dead weight pull where either 15' or 20' was a full pull. A full pull very seldom happened. Because the huge deep tire holes and resulting mound of dirt, after each hook in usually a quite large # of entries, where formidable obstacles to overcome along with a much overloaded steel pan sled.

Do I desire to go back to that pulling style. No. Do I think that today there is too much 'race pulling'? Yes.

Yes , I've watched dead weight pulling , and yes I think it's somewhat boring too.

I made the comment in my post that I'd like to see a "different kind or style" of pulling. Some kind of competition where the objective or "goal" is different. Such as..... (and this would only really work for stock tractors were the power could be policed through checking the hp on a working pto)......having tractors pull a given amount of weight based on the power the tractor puts out on the shaft....ie: for every pto hp , the sled weight increases, so a tractor with , say, 200 hp has to pull more weight than a 170 hp one does and they have to pull it the full 300 ft, with there being no "weight class" per say as the puller can weight the tractor however heavy or light they want it to be The fasted time wins, AND this also lets a smaller tractor pull against a much larger tractor because both have to pull the same weight to hp ratio
The tractor will be pulling it's balls off ,so to speak, the whole way down the track because the weight remains the same from start to finish.

Yes, speed is still part of the equation , but not to the extreme that it does so with a weight transfer sled., and again, pulling like i've just described above, will never work with the high hp machines we have today. Todays modern tractor pulling and drag racing aren't all that different, are they ? Our "cars" are just heavier than theirs ......oh, and they just happen to look like tractors

Stay with the current style of pulling with the high HP and wheel speed for those already invested in it and those who like to watch it,
I'd just like to see , imho, some style of pulling , where the "goal" was to actually "pull" from the get go, not start off with a extremely light sled so they can get speed up with momentum taking it out the end.........sorry for the rant.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2020 10:49AM by JDpowershift.

Re: Sled settings August 02, 2020 03:37PM
JDpowershift, sounds to me like you are describing what is called a 'Percentage Pull'.
There is a group of, as I understand it, farm stock / slightly juiced up farm stock tractor pullers in the Wabash, Indiana area.
They are having a pull Sunday August 9, starting at Noon in Denver, Indiana, south side of the little downtown.
I have not seen this style of pulling, but perhaps I might get there. If we get done at a reasonable time the night before at the IPL pull in "only at Idaville".

Re: Sled settings July 31, 2020 04:08AM
I do.....it's great. Entertaining, like what most of society likes these days - "to be entertained". I also like tractor pulls that have speed and excitement - aka "entertaining".

I understand the premise of the dead pull/70's type sled concept. It's just not truly entertaining for most folks these days.

To each their own. Enjoy your plowing contest.

Re: Sled settings July 31, 2020 04:22AM
I see absolutely no reason to drop the pan on any class with a speed limit of less than 12 mph.

Re: Sled settings July 31, 2020 04:36AM
There are sleds available that can and will set properly for each class at an event. 2 weights in the sled box and pick your slam distance should not be a setting for an entire night. Promoters should take in consideration what kinda show they want when booking a sled. The excuse that I can’t set my sled that way is total BS.

Re: Sled settings July 31, 2020 04:53AM
Amish, no one said it would be a dead pull, dummy. You can have smoke and speed without having a drag race.

Re: Sled settings July 31, 2020 02:26PM
Sure......call whatever it is you do whatever you want. Just try not to let it upset you so much. Enjoy the weekend.

Re: Sled settings August 02, 2020 01:44PM
amish
I do.....it's great. Entertaining, like what most of society likes these days - "to be entertained". I also like tractor pulls that have speed and excitement - aka "entertaining".

I understand the premise of the dead pull/70's type sled concept. It's just not truly entertaining for most folks these days.

To each their own. Enjoy your plowing contest.

First of all, whether something is "exciting and entertaining" depends upon the opinion of those who attend the events.

I too like to take in the occasional high speed super stock and modified drags also, I just don't consider it "pulling", that's all, and I do consider them
exciting and entertaining for the most part.

As for the "dead pull / 70's type sled concept"........... "not truly entertaining for most folks these days", comment, I agree, but look at the attendance at some of the weight transfer sled type pulls. Fewer and fewer "fans" are attending those too and I believe its because more and more of the population are getting farther and farther removed from farming as time goes on and fewer people are growing up with a tractor seat under their butts so they can't relate to the sport to begin with, at least tractors anyway, and that's probably why "truck" pulling is seemingly drawing more people, "cause everybody has a truck and can relate to them.
Same thing with NASCAR, who can relate to those "cars" anymore.

I used to attend who knows how many pulls a year when I could get away from the dairy farm when I was a kid. These days I hardly attend any pulls, because their just not what I think pulling should be and whats out there screaming down the track is a completely different beast than what I drove on the farm.

Oh, and I "do" like to turn a couple hundred acres under a year with the old 5 bottom moldboard.....uh.....that's "plowing" for those who are to far removed from farming , to know what that is .

Re: Sled settings August 03, 2020 04:07AM
Back to what the thread was supposed to be about.....horrible sled setting. That is all. Period.

Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,565, Posts: 229,582, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,056, Posts: 225,843.

Our newest member BadHabit2