A purple IH? August 08, 2020 03:42PM
It's true. I remember seeing it a few times as a very young boy. I believe driven by Tom Kolb from the Evansville, IN area.

Check out this 12 minute rare footage from the early 70s. Kolb's tractor is featured, plus Bud Baird's Cannonball 1206.
I believe one of the mods is Lloyd McVey's Little Tiger (remember that one?).

Was most of the video after the first minute or 2 from Evansville? Great crowd. If I had to guess what year, I'd say 1973 or 74. I think '74 was the last year for pace tractors

Can anyone ID any of the tractors/pullers in the video?Rare pulling videol]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2020 03:45PM by The Original Michael.

Re: A purple IH? August 08, 2020 04:30PM
Looks like Evansville to me. Excellent video find!

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: A purple IH? August 09, 2020 02:44AM
That is Evansville.

Re: A purple IH? August 09, 2020 05:26AM
At the 6:40 mark,on the far side what has happened was the box went through the stops and onto the tractor sitting on the sled pan.They had to drive the tractor off after every pull because of because the pull back tractor couldn't move the sled,the driver was very lucky. I believe it was Otwell's sled.It happened in front of my brother and I we were sitting in the front row I have a picture of it, I'll will try to find it.

Re: A purple IH? August 10, 2020 03:55AM
I showed this to my Dad, he would have been 8 years old. This is for sure Evansville, Indiana. Dad said my Grandpa was probably on one of the scraper tractors, but you don’t see much of those in the video. We showed some people that would have been there in that time frame of the video, so some info about that pull going on(only from about 3 minute mark on, not sure where the first few minutes were at)

1. This is not the county fair pull, there used to be a Labor Day pull that, if still going, would be the same age as Bowling Green. The 2 tracks is the giveaway in that. Vanderburgh Fair did not got to 2 tracks until well later.

2. Marvin Jollif was the sled operator on the Plainville Sled. He said since his big tandem axle sled was not there, he is fairly confident that was 1973. They built the big sled in 1974, and it would have been at that event if built.

3. The other sled was not Otwell, but a sled they got out of Morganfield, KY. That is the sled that broke. As stated above, the stops on the end of the rails broke. The little ford utility tractor was crushed pretty bad. Thankfully nobody was hurt. An older guy that used to work for us was very involved at the Labor Day pull, and I had been told that story several times. Kinda neat to see it a little bit.

4. The factory paint job 1206 was Bud Baird as said in the video. He was from Morganfield, KY area, that tractor was the first tractor to ever go down the track at Freedom Hall at the National Farm Machinery show.

5. The purple IH(Dad believes it was an 856) was the Kolb Family. Donald was the dad, and 2 of his boys, Mike and Tom, drove regularly. They farmed very big back in that day down in the Ohio River Bottoms, and still farm there. They also owned an injection shop, I’m not sure if they had the shop before they started pulling, or if working on that tractor led them to starting Kolb Diesel. Kolb Injection is actually where Dan Scheid started working when he was young, before going off on his own.

Very cool video, thank you for sharing! More pulling history in this video than people realize if you have the means to start digging. There are several more people I would like to show it to, so if I find out any more interesting facts, I will post again!

Andrew Hartman
Addicted Motorsports

Re: A purple IH? August 10, 2020 02:36PM
The purple IH was a 1456...It came to Missouri in the mid 1970's and from what I hear it has sit apart in a barn for years..Kolbs may have also had a 856?

Re: A purple IH? August 11, 2020 07:43AM
Thanks Andrew. Do you know, or could you ask, if the Moline hooked to the broken sled was Gary Quick's tractor? Thanks.

Re: A purple IH? August 11, 2020 03:22PM
Yes that’s me on our G1000. Box came off the end of the rails made a big mess,lucky the man on the ford tractor on the pan didn’t get hurt.

Re: A purple IH? August 10, 2020 12:16PM
Yes it’s Evansville, around 72 , that’s Donnie Alexander on the V8 450 farmall. In 73they added a second motor and took off the sheet metal.

Re: A purple IH? August 10, 2020 12:35PM
What kind of mini rod is that at about 2:50 it’s kind of hard to see on my phone but it’s cool looking great video thanks for sharing

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009